Reply to topic  [ 5959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 398  Next
What comics did you buy today? 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 8:43 pm
Posts: 4107
Location: space city
Reply with quote
No I was responding to big bad bri's suggestion.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Posts: 429
Location: UK
Reply with quote
stevezodiac wrote:
No I was responding to big bad bri's suggestion.

No, I know - I just took the prompt to go and look at it once again :)

_________________
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1423
Reply with quote
i know its a lot of work for Al and the other mods but was thinking we could make this the come to site for british comics as the gcd has more american covers than anything.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:54 pm
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
big bad bri wrote:
i know its a lot of work for Al and the other mods but was thinking we could make this the come to site for british comics as the gcd has more american covers than anything.

Bri, we get where you are coming from, but when you think that there are at least 21000 British comics (if you want my maths PM me) and Comic Vine has already uploaded most of them, it means that we are on a hiding to nothing to replicate their work.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
I went to DeeCon today as I knew the Commando team would be there and the always nice to meet Ian Kennedy. As I have some doubles I am about to swap, I got 10 of them signed by Ian and paid him for that kindness. I then ended up doing a double take as I was so focused on Ian, I did not realise that the Commando crew had come loaded for bear with a good 500 to 600 back issues. Some of these were available as singles for a quid and some of them were in packs of five for slightly more. When I saw three of these packs were loaded with pre-decimal issues, I had to get them. So I have now added issues 44, 50 and 187 to my collection for a lot less than I ever expected to pay for them! I picked up another 5 packs and a pile of singles. Then I saw that Ian had his sketch of the mighty Phantom going for an absolute bargain so Mr Kennedy got some more of my hard earned and I walked away with a gorgeous A3 pencil drawing of the F4 Phantom circa 1980.

DeeCon? I had a blast today. :D

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1423
Reply with quote
My complete year of Cor! 1971 arrived.this was one of those titles where i only ever saw the annuals as a child didn't know there was a weekly comic as it ended when i was 3 and even then i loved the art on jasper the grasper and the gasworks gang.so i may well have to try and finish this sewt before buster and whizzer and chips.coincidentally the names of my 2 cats are buster and whizzer lol


Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:05 am
Posts: 835
Location: Southampton/London
Reply with quote
Really pleased with my purchases this week as although I'm concentrating on selling currently, I'm still managing to source some great additions to my collection.

First up with images:
The Adventures of Mark Tyme #1 - Spencer - 1967
Whacky Rodeo #1 - Transatlantic Press - 1947
Space Travellers #1 - Donald F. Peters - 1950 (?)

I also bought the Captain Britain Summer Special from 1980

I also picked up 2 lots of 1940s one shots (mainly) from Compal's recent auction which should add around 20 new ones to my collection.


Attachments:
WR.jpg
WR.jpg [ 128.92 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]
ST.jpg
ST.jpg [ 132.77 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]
MT.jpg
MT.jpg [ 114.5 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7212
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
big bad bri wrote:
i know its a lot of work for Al and the other mods but was thinking we could make this the come to site for british comics as the gcd has more american covers than anything.

Bri, we get where you are coming from, but when you think that there are at least 21000 British comics (if you want my maths PM me) and Comic Vine has already uploaded most of them, it means that we are on a hiding to nothing to replicate their work.
I just hope you guys realise that Comic Vine probably won't be around forever (which is a shame, uploading to that site is easy, you don't even have to download the files in order to reupload them, you can just use a web address). CV has really gone downhill in the last year or two, look at their front page and you'll find that they no longer update much. Their podcast is gone too. The rot started when they were taken over by Gamespot. If the site announces a shutdown, which I would not be shocked to see at all at this point, someone's going to have a mass download job to do (several GB of files, I bet). GCD is a wiki too, so if you don't like that site being mostly American comics (and there is plenty of European stuff on there too), you can do something about it.


Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 pm
Posts: 1384
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Digifiend wrote:
I just hope you guys realise that Comic Vine probably won't be around forever (which is a shame, uploading to that site is easy, you don't even have to download the files in order to reupload them, you can just use a web address). CV has really gone downhill in the last year or two, look at their front page and you'll find that they no longer update much. Their podcast is gone too. The rot started when they were taken over by Gamespot. If the site announces a shutdown, which I would not be shocked to see at all at this point, someone's going to have a mass download job to do (several GB of files, I bet). GCD is a wiki too, so if you don't like that site being mostly American comics (and there is plenty of European stuff on there too), you can do something about it.

Will be sad if CV ever went as I do refer to it often in referencing covers.

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.


Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 pm
Posts: 1384
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Just received three issues of The Topper from the year 1973.

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.


Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 pm
Profile YIM
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
Today's post delivered yet another swap (another 14 Commandos) and I am now at 3700 issues of Commando. I know I have another 259 inbound so it is possible that I could break the 4000 barrier this year.

And someone has sent me their copies of Achtung! Commando so guess what I am going to be scanning this week! :D

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3442
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
I went to one of the biggest car boots on the East of Scotland and scored me a pile of Commandos that were all in the 5000s including issue 5000! Woo-hoo!

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 1423
Reply with quote
ordered volume 3 of the striker book


Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Bedfordshire England
Reply with quote
hook jaw archive arrived today
I really like that they have left the colour in (all that blood :shock: ) and we finally get to see what would have happened in the October 23rd and 30th issues
if you have not got a copy yet I would highly recommend getting one
best price at the moment is at wordery
https://wordery.com/hook-jaw-archive-pa ... 15a0f5a285


Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6914
Reply with quote
judomole wrote:
hook jaw archive arrived today
I really like that they have left the colour in (all that blood :shock: ) and we finally get to see what would have happened in the October 23rd and 30th issues
if you have not got a copy yet I would highly recommend getting one
best price at the moment is at wordery
https://wordery.com/hook-jaw-archive-pa ... 15a0f5a285



I think those unpublished strips have previously been published in Martin Barker's book Action: The Story of a Violent Comic (also published by Titan, but long out of print).


Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 398  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.