What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Greenwich in the snow today. There is a charity bookshop across the road from Marks and Spencer near the cutty sark and they have two boxes of American comics at 99p each. Modern stuff so of no interest to me but others might like to know. Most were polybagged.

abacus

Post by abacus »

A couple of weeks ago (I visit this particular charity shop every two weeks ) I noticed a number of Comic Reader magazines in with the boxes of comics.I dismissed these at the time as not being the sort of thing I was interested in but having thought about it since, decided that on my next visit maybe I should buy at least one.
Today was that day .I bought two , they have some black and white strips such as Paul Temple, Superman , The Seekers.these seem to be at a glance continuing stories but a lot of the magazine is taken up with listing forthcoming comics (1980's that is).I have included image to show what I mean.
These are today's buys.
The Comic Reader 186 Dec 1980 ---£1
The Comic Reader 187 Jan 1981---£1
Marvel Ghost Rider 1980-----------£1
Marvel Daredevil 1985------------£1

Also last saturday another charity shop had about 6 Lucky Luke adventure comics and I bought one for £1.50p.
Last edited by abacus on 13 Dec 2017, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have quite a few fanzines from 70s and 80s and they are good reading. The Comic Journal had some nice long interviews.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Had a very busy day in London yesterday with visits to Malcolm Phillips of Compal and then flying trips to Mega City Comics and GOSH before heading to the O2 to see Queen......who were brilliant!

Anyway, back to the comics. The shops were no good at all as there were only the Commando comics that Bri found in GOSH and otherwise, all American sadly. I spoke to the guys at both places and they just said it wasn't what they were into. Malcolm on the other hand had a 6 beauties for me that the initial winner hadn't paid for which I was very happy with and are shown below.

I also got back home to find Buster #1 with free gift had been delivered which all in all made a very good day!
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image2(2).jpeg
image1(2).jpeg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

And here's the other three:
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image1(1).jpeg

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

A batch of Tiger & Scorcher's from 1976 to get the one issue I'm missing :roll: :lol: Been waiting all year to get this one issue.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

did you need any of the commandos in Gosh adam?i should have thought to take a note of the issue numbers.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Whizzer and chips xmas 1970 issue
Misty graphic novels 1 & 2
Buster 1979 annual where i noticed the faceache strips were Jet reprints from the new faceache graphic novel.i didn't think annuals reprinted stories back then.thought it was an 80s & 90s practice.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:did you need any of the commandos in Gosh adam?i should have thought to take a note of the issue numbers.
No I didn't thanks Bri. I've just cleared 12 more of the 41 via Col and another guy who I've sold quite a bit to. He happened to have 8 that I needed which is great. 29 to go!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Adam Eterno wrote:And here's the other three:
Nice to see those 1950s UK superhero comics! That era of independent British comics is often ignored or not even known about by the people who think today's indies are a new development.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:And here's the other three:
Nice to see those 1950s UK superhero comics! That era of independent British comics is often ignored or not even known about by the people who think today's indies are a new development.
I read them all on the train back from London and laughed out loud half a dozen times! Very enjoyable reads and I'm really enjoying collecting them.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I like the look of that Captain Universe, its almost like a prop comic from a tv show.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:I like the look of that Captain Universe, its almost like a prop comic from a tv show.
He only lasted 2 issues in 1954 which is probably why I'd never come across him before!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Bought a better copy of a 1976 Sparky!
A Face unclouded by thought.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Adam, a bit late but I have to say, what a nice haul.
The Jet Comic should have Embleton art, but more importantly, the spaceship on the cover looks awfully like Captain Condor's ship.
Never seen Atomic Age Comic but I'm more jealous of your Electroman, seeing as how I'm a superhero nut.
Senorita Rio is a reprint of an American title by Fiction House. (Actually, some Senorita Rio stories were reprinted in USA by AC, the Bill Black company in the latter part of last century, I think.)
What about that Super Duper? Powerman, Atom, Skybolt. Wonderful.