What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

That makes my purchase of 259 Commandos from 1247 to 2506 look positively limp!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:That makes my purchase of 259 Commandos from 1247 to 2506 look positively limp!
Another big chunk filled from your gaps again!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

another 15 Buster arrived today,353 to go.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:another 15 Buster arrived today,353 to go.
That's pretty impressive, Brian! I doubt many others have that many copies of a comic that ran for almost 40 years.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:
That's pretty impressive, Brian! I doubt many others have that many copies of a comic that ran for almost 40 years.
The size of the comics must make storage a challenge! Well done. I don't think I've heard of anyone else having the set. Was it about 10 different humour comics merged with Buster during it's 40 years?

Just checked and it was 11. It was Big One, Giggle, Jet, Cor!!, Monster Fun, Jackpot, School Fun, Nipper, Oink!, Stars, and Whizzer and Chips. What a group!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Thanks lew i need 68 to have complete run from june 68 so that's my 1st goal as the early ones are out of my budget when they do appear online. i thought there was a couple of the guys on here had the full set ,names escape me but im sure ill remember when i read old posts on here lol.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
The size of the comics must make storage a challenge! Well done. I don't think I've heard of anyone else having the set. Was it about 10 different humour comics merged with Buster during it's 40 years?

Just checked and it was 11. It was Big One, Giggle, Jet, Cor!!, Monster Fun, Jackpot, School Fun, Nipper, Oink!, Stars, and Whizzer and Chips. What a group!
You missed Film Fun & also Radio Fun Adam.the stars wasn't a comic it was part of the oink header i think for only 4 weeks.must be the shortest absorbed title yet as far as i can see as some last for months or years like i think Jet was showing on cover.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
colcool007 wrote:That makes my purchase of 259 Commandos from 1247 to 2506 look positively limp!
Another big chunk filled from your gaps again!
True and it does take me over the 3600 mark which means for less than 20 pence per issue, I have managed to fill over 1600 gaps in just over 8 months. At least nobody can say that I have not stayed true to my Aberdonian heritage! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote: You missed Film Fun & also Radio Fun Adam.the stars wasn't a comic it was part of the oink header i think for only 4 weeks.must be the shortest absorbed title yet as far as i can see as some last for months or years like i think Jet was showing on cover.
I never knew exactly why they didn't call it Buster and Oink! rather than "Oink! stars join Buster" for a few weeks. Perhaps because only three characters came over, or perhaps because WH Smiths didn't like Oink, but I'm glad to say Tom Thug resided in Buster for over 11 years until the final issue (albeit with the last three years or so being reprint). He even became the cover star occasionally.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I've a complete set of Buster including all the annuals, specials etc. I thought it was a great comic in the 1960's.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I never had Buster on standing order with the newsagent but I bought the first issue when it came out and throughout the 1960s it continued to be the one British comic I was most likely to buy odd copies of whenever I had money to spare. The nice thing was that, during that period, it seemed to combine elements of a number of titles like Valiant, Lion, Topper and Beezer in one package.
Last edited by philcom55 on 23 Aug 2017, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Using pigs as a central theme of Oink was a huge error the comic could never overcome, which was a pity as there was some really good stuff in it.

Buster got the best of them.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

koollectablz wrote:Using pigs as a central theme of Oink was a huge error the comic could never overcome, which was a pity as there was some really good stuff in it.

Thanks. The irony is that outside of Oink, which was quite rough and ready in a way, my work wasn't considered good enough for the other IPC comics. (I couldn't get work on Whoopee or Whizzer and Chips for example.) Buster inherited Tom Thug and Pete and his Pimple as they were popular, and closest to Buster's traditional type of strips. I think they expected Tom and Pete to fizzle out after a few months. Admittedly, Pete did, after six months, as jokes about pimples weren't things that young kids could relate to, but Tom Thug proved to be very popular, up there with Chalky and Buster himself. He ousted Buster from the cover a few times and was even the subject of free gifts (a metal badge and a foil sticker). Just goes to show that slickness of style isn't always paramount in the eyes of the readers. It's all about connecting with the sense of humour of the reader.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Kashgar wrote:I've a complete set of Buster including all the annuals, specials etc. I thought it was a great comic in the 1960's.
you was one of the names that escaped me as i thought id read before that you had the whole run.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew Stringer wrote:
koollectablz wrote:Using pigs as a central theme of Oink was a huge error the comic could never overcome, which was a pity as there was some really good stuff in it.

Thanks. The irony is that outside of Oink, which was quite rough and ready in a way, my work wasn't considered good enough for the other IPC comics. (I couldn't get work on Whoopee or Whizzer and Chips for example.) Buster inherited Tom Thug and Pete and his Pimple as they were popular, and closest to Buster's traditional type of strips. I think they expected Tom and Pete to fizzle out after a few months. Admittedly, Pete did, after six months, as jokes about pimples weren't things that young kids could relate to, but Tom Thug proved to be very popular, up there with Chalky and Buster himself. He ousted Buster from the cover a few times and was even the subject of free gifts (a metal badge and a foil sticker). Just goes to show that slickness of style isn't always paramount in the eyes of the readers. It's all about connecting with the sense of humour of the reader.
I have 2 copies with the metal badge as its not going in my doubles pile to one day try and sell on ebay.i think i may have the foil sticker as well on one copy.