What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by paw broon »

Like Colin I was at the Glasgow con. Unlike Colin, I was not restrained in my spending. I also got some Commando comics, 3, courtesy of starscape, who was also at the con. More to the point, I bought the following:-
3 x WDL reprints, Zane Grey's Drift Fence; Red Ryder #22; Tales of the Texas Rangers #17;
A WDL original, Western Super Thriller #78 (with 2 Ace Hart stories);
3 GN's from Markosia publishers; Redemption Heights; Pirates of the Lost World; Hushers, plus a couple of freebies they were giving away with purchases.
a small pile of Dell, GK and a Charlton Six Million Dollar Man #6.
But the great find of the day was a British comic album, Mysteries of the Unexplored, which is a shade bigger and a lot thicker than a Dell, for instance. The cover is a colour Ditko illo from a Charlton title - and very lovely it is too - and together with the title, you'd assume the book contains Charlton reprints. And you couldn't be more wrong, as I was. The contents are, 4 Captain Future stories by Norman Light plus stories with art by Ron Embleton and Jim Holdaway and a couple of others I haven't identified yet. Published by G.T Ltd., London. I could be havering here but isn't G.T. Ltd one of the names found on Micron, or other more obscure pocket libraries?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

paw broon wrote:But the great find of the day was a British comic album, Mysteries of the Unexplored
Is that the one one with the guy in a boat being surprised by a flying saucer on the cover? Great stuff - and I agree that the contents are exceedingly weird!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes indeed. Bloke in a wee boat watching an alien vessel rising from the water. The book price was 2/6 and bears the small cover circle, " COMIC BUREAU APPROVAL SEAL" Ditko was so good.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:
Phoenix wrote:The comics haven't arrived yet, Bri.
They have now, Bri. If you log in again you will be able to read a PM that I sent you last Friday.
Just seen it now Derek as I'm.away most weekends thank you. .

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Got the 1st combined buster and big one and latest issue of viz

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

colcool007 wrote:Despite being at Glasgow Comic Con, I was restrained in my spending. I only picked up another 7 Commandos, the complete run of Beast Wagon and The Forever War trilogy.

I also picked up a pile of freebies as D C Thomson sent a representative to scatter a pile of Commando free gifts around the Con. As there were plenty left at the end of the day, I thought it best to make sure they were not thrown out... :lol: So my next few swaps will include some nice freebies for my fellow fans of Commando.
I knew that I had picked up something else. Just been emptying the bag and putting the autographed stuff away and found the collection of Bud Neill's cartoons that was put together by Ranald MacColl in 1997. To quote the title, it's Magic!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Action 21 comic #1 - Gerry Anderson - 1988
15 Commando comics filling more gaps
5 Starblazers.....filling more gaps....54 of the 281 left to get.
4 Smash comics.....filling more gaps again
Double Feature Comic Book - Young World/Gold Token (Champion the Wonder Horse & Black Mask) - 1960
Jet comic - Complete set of 22 - IPC - 1971 - Really happy with this! :)

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Adam Eterno wrote:Action 21 comic #1 - Gerry Anderson - 1988
Double Feature Comic Book - Young World/Gold Token (Champion the Wonder Horse & Black Mask) - 1960
I was umming and arring over those, when I first saw them I was going to go to around £200ish, but those huge numbers on each cover just killed them for me. Still a great buy at the price you paid though. When he first listed them I made an offer far above what they went for, I'm really glad he turned me down now. Nice set.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Action 21 comic #1 - Gerry Anderson - 1988
I was umming and arring over those, when I first saw them I was going to go to around £200ish, but those huge numbers on each cover just killed them for me. Still a great buy at the price you paid though. When he first listed them I made an offer far above what they went for, I'm really glad he turned me down now. Nice set.
I ummed and aaahed as well and was at the pub when the auction finished so left an early bid. To be honest, I was surprised I'd won when I got back! He won't be happy about turning you down!

PS. I've just seen your PM and I'll sort it out this morning.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Haven't bought anything of much interest for a while, until yesterday I splashed out and bought 'Picture Show' vol 1 #1 from 1919, still with its free gift art plate. Looks to be in really excellent condition, although sometimes I'm a bit wary if they are nearly 100 years old and look this good. On closer examination of the photos, I noticed the top staple was rusty and there was a small rust mark where the bottom staple had been, so this made me feel a bit happier about it. I'll have a good sniff at it when it arrives, and if it doesn't pass the smell test it'll be going back !!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just won 47 issues of M&J on eBay for £35 plus £6.50 p&p. That's obviously less than £1 each. I do have a number of them already but curiously, and very unexpectedly, I was the only bidder.

Westy

Post by Westy »

I was very pleased to win a copy of The Beano issue 1,000 on EBay yesterday, which I've hankered after for a number of years. Could somebody please clarify, is the cover by Dudley Watkins?

Thanks!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like it, but it's not signed.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Another 28 Buster so 437 to go

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Re Westy wondering if Dudley D Watkins drew the cover of Beano 1000: I'm no expert on Beano artists, but it looks to me like Mr Watkins drew his characters, with other artists drawing there characters. I can definitely see a few different art styles at play here, and Mr Watkins never struck me as someone who went in for copying others.