What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Adam, that 3Star Adventures intrigued me, as I hadn't thought it was a Foldes Press publication. Right enough when I checked in the guide, it's listed as published by Richard Turvey/BCM Demob in 1947. But the fact that art is by Rex Hart suggests this could be a Foldes title, or, at least, that it was printed by them. Foldes were first and foremost printers. So perhaps another of their imprints, or a pre-Foldes name. The "Demob" part of the name is interesting.
Any help and further info greatfully received.
Hi Paw

It arrived this morning so I'll have a look at it shortly and compare it to the other issue I have. I'll see if I can post some pictures as well.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Adam Eterno wrote:
paw broon wrote:Adam, that 3Star Adventures intrigued me, as I hadn't thought it was a Foldes Press publication. Right enough when I checked in the guide, it's listed as published by Richard Turvey/BCM Demob in 1947. But the fact that art is by Rex Hart suggests this could be a Foldes title, or, at least, that it was printed by them. Foldes were first and foremost printers. So perhaps another of their imprints, or a pre-Foldes name. The "Demob" part of the name is interesting.
Hi Paw

It arrived this morning so I'll have a look at it shortly and compare it to the other issue I have. I'll see if I can post some pictures as well.
Here's the one that arrived this morning
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hi Paw

And here's the issue I already had
Attachments
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thanks for showing these off Adam. I can't add much to the discussion but I know that I have seen the name Overend before in connection with comics so let me mull that over.

The one question I have is how do you tell which issue is the earlier of the two? I ask as I cannot see any date on either.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:Thanks for showing these off Adam. I can't add much to the discussion but I know that I have seen the name Overend before in connection with comics so let me mull that over.

The one question I have is how do you tell which issue is the earlier of the two? I ask as I cannot see any date on either.
That's been my dilemma since I bought the first one! I was hoping the 2nd purchase would help with something like a continued story etc so I'll be having a read of them today at some time. If not, I'm still in the dark as to which, if either, is #1.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks for posting the examples. The issue with Superboyo on the cover is listed in Gifford's book, Super Duper Supermen and in his comments on the comic, he also mentions another title featuring Superboyo, titled The Atom.
None of this gets us any closer to knowing which of your issues is #1.
I'll get back to this later but I need to get out for my bus.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up the second Victor Summer Special.

The sixties ones always seem insanely difficult.

Annoying when compared to how common the Beano and Dandy ones are.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Just picked up the full 60's Diana 'Avengers' run.

Too much money, but I wanted a single owner set. I think I bought them as a reaction on missing out on the Solo! :shock:

Perfect number to bind I reckon. Now need to think what's the best lettering to put on the spine.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Thanks for posting the examples. The issue with Superboyo on the cover is listed in Gifford's book, Super Duper Supermen and in his comments on the comic, he also mentions another title featuring Superboyo, titled The Atom.
None of this gets us any closer to knowing which of your issues is #1.
I'll get back to this later but I need to get out for my bus.
I think he may have meant this comic that I call Ju Jitsu:
Attachments
Atom 3.jpg
Atom 2.jpg
Atom 1.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Aw, that's great, thank you. Never set eyes on that comic. And Superboyo in his super suit and cape. Great stuff.
Back to 3 Star Adventures. I've been digging around, but all to no avail. As we now realise, it was/they were, printed by Foldes, distributed by Overend and the publishers were Richard Turvey/BCM Demob. The guide says the issue they list first has 12 pages but doesn't give a page count for the second listing. That could simply be because they don't know - or, it could be a clue. :wink:
There seems to be no info. on Richard Turvey/BCM Demob.
I'm at a loss. The Edinburgh con is this weekend and I'm meeting McShane in between his panel duties, so I'll ask him. If Colin's reading this, yes, you, Col., try and remind me and could you have a word with your pals at Dundee?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

koollectablz wrote:Picked up the second Victor Summer Special.

The sixties ones always seem insanely difficult.

Annoying when compared to how common the Beano and Dandy ones are.
If you mean to find, then I won't disagree with you. My holy grail is still the first Victor Summer Special. I have a feeling that it will be a while before I get that one...

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

In my experience the first Victor Summer Special is really easy to find - all I have to do is go upstairs and look in my wardrobe! :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:In my experience the first Victor Summer Special is really easy to find - all I have to do is go upstairs and look in my wardrobe! :)
You can go right off some people... :mrgreen:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Grabbed a set of Scream, I'll send those along with a set of StarLord to get bound.

abacus

Post by abacus »

While sorting through some secondhand books at a carboot sale near where I am holidaying in Gt Yarmouth I was emmediately impressed by the illustrations in THE HELEN HAYWOOD CHRISTMAS BOOK (1954) and at only 40p this childrens annual type book was a must buy for me.