What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

thanks blaing i just want to concentrate on weekly at the moment and only really buying Buster at the mo,though i did unexpectedly win complete 1971 year of Cor! the other day so that's another title i'm gonna have to try finish now :lol:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:thanks blaing i just want to concentrate on weekly at the moment and only really buying Buster at the mo,though i did unexpectedly win complete 1971 year of Cor! the other day so that's another title i'm gonna have to try finish now :lol:
I think there are 204 (maybe 205) issues of Cor!!, Bri. I had them all once but I threw most of them out in the late '70s. I kept about half a dozen.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

blaing

Post by blaing »

I think there was 211 issues, but I don't know if they lost any issues as a result of industrial action.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

wikipedia says 210 issues of cor was produced so i'm gonna have to do a bit of research :lol:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

on the front section of this site we have a section for annuals and summer specials who's up for scanning all the covers of the weekly's then so we can have a definitive database.but i know it will be a lot of work:lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:who's up for scanning all the covers of the weekly's then so we can have a definitive database.
Count me out, Bri. Life's too short.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bought this morning, Number 12 of Danger Mouse

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

big bad bri wrote:on the front section of this site we have a section for annuals and summer specials who's up for scanning all the covers of the weekly's then so we can have a definitive database.but i know it will be a lot of work:lol:
Bri, check out the work on Comic Vine as they have a lot of covers on there.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Grand Comics Database says 211 issues. It gives dates and number but there are no breaks in the dates so they obviously do not allow for any industrial action. I bought Smash every week in the early seventies and can remember disruption to that title with possibly a date being amended here and there or a two week date on the cover.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

colcool007 wrote:
big bad bri wrote:on the front section of this site we have a section for annuals and summer specials who's up for scanning all the covers of the weekly's then so we can have a definitive database.but i know it will be a lot of work:lol:
130 of them - they're clearly missing some, unfortunately.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/cor/4050-37601/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Digifiend wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
130 of them - they're clearly missing some, unfortunately.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/cor/4050-37601/

This is the sort of thing we need on this site ll the weekly covers of at least DCT and IPC/fleetway comics so we can be the bible or go to place for uk comics .the ultimate source and info guide

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

This is the sort of thing we need on this site ll the weekly covers of at least DCT and IPC/fleetway comics so we can be the bible or go to place for uk comics .the ultimate source and info guide[/quote]

Blimey If the site is looking for cover scans I have hundreds of 2000AD and Eagle from Listing on online auction sites. :shock:

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Just bought / buying a few Jintys to fill in my gaps for the years of 1975 and 1980, fingers crossed it all works out as expected!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You might as well put your cover scans onto the grand comics database. I've been putting them on for a few years and they add them very quickly. They have some complete runs of covers, ie Fantastic and Terrific. Comics uk gallery should be for first, last and notable issues otherwise Al will be overloaded with work. GCD email you almost straight away to confirm acceptance or point out an error and they happily accept guidance and corrections. They had their Tiger listing numbered throughout its run which meant I couldn't add issues as the comics themselves were not numbered. They quickly changed it to date format.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

stevezodiac wrote:You might as well put your cover scans onto the grand comics database. I've been putting them on for a few years and they add them very quickly. They have some complete runs of covers, ie Fantastic and Terrific. Comics uk gallery should be for first, last and notable issues otherwise Al will be overloaded with work. GCD email you almost straight away to confirm acceptance or point out an error and they happily accept guidance and corrections. They had their Tiger listing numbered throughout its run which meant I couldn't add issues as the comics themselves were not numbered. They quickly changed it to date format.
I know you weren't directing this to me but anyway... I've looked at the GCD before now but just took another look, with this as a prompt. Not sure I can face creating another userid and giving myself another task, as we are basically already doing that work on the Jinty blog but in a rather different way and differently formatted. Not wanting to put others off of course as I can see the value of it when done!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.