What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Final purchase at the Basement Bookshop this year, and yesterday, I bouhht the 1952 Knockout Fun Book. All have been sent home via the post, so that I dont have excess baggage. ;)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Sector 13 issue 2 and in a raffle, Doomsday for Dredd (volume 42 of the Mega Collection)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

blaing wrote:Final purchase at the Basement Bookshop this year
Why's that, Bruce? Are you still in December over there? I know our touring cricket team have frozen. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Done a few more swaps and I now have another 83 Commando issues inbound. I have also teamed up with a few friends and we have bought a job lot of annuals so there will be a few for sale /swapping once we pick them up and pick them clean for our various collections. Plus we will have the secondary copies from our collections for sale.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

blaing

Post by blaing »

Phoenix wrote:
blaing wrote:Final purchase at the Basement Bookshop this year
Why's that, Bruce? Are you still in December over there? I know our touring cricket team have frozen. :)
No, I'm on holidays in Melbourne at the moment , and I head back home tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back here till next year. ;)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Picked up 22 vintage newspapers for 50p each, some reprints. But original copy of first issue of the Independent. Plus second and third issues of Today from 1986 one of which has first instalment of a Roy of the Rovers strip. I also got a 1971 Daily Sketch with Hugh Morren's Wack. I presume he moved to the Sun when the Sketch was absorbed by the Daily Mail. Still looking through them.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

One paper dated 28 August 1979 had this advert:

Last edited by stevezodiac on 26 Feb 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2mpd0k8.jpg[/IMG[/quote]Clicking on this link, Steve, unfortunately has no effect whatsoever where my equipment is concerned. Could you have another go at it please as I'm sure it would be of interest to members.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sorry I did it using my mobile phone. I'll redo it tomorrow using my tablet. I haven't had a laptop since November and have been put off getting a replacement as new ones don't have DVD drives.

The newspaper reports the murder of Lord Mountbatten.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Carrying on the newspaper theme, Daily Express No1 from Phils Comics. It’s in poor condition but at least an original (there’s a replica that is fairly easy to find online). My small newspaper collection is a spin off of my comic collection, from the days of trawling second hand shops back in the 80s & 90s, plus early eBay. Star items are first issues of the Manchester Guardian and Daily Mail as well as the Sun (the No.1 relaunch in 1969). Similarly I’ve picked up magazines such as Punch No1 and Radio Times No1.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There were so many great newspaper comic strips up until around the 1990s. I come across some I'd completely forgotten about.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Shiner wrote:Carrying on the newspaper theme, Daily Express No1 from Phils Comics. It’s in poor condition but at least an original (there’s a replica that is fairly easy to find online). My small newspaper collection is a spin off of my comic collection, from the days of trawling second hand shops back in the 80s & 90s, plus early eBay. Star items are first issues of the Manchester Guardian and Daily Mail as well as the Sun (the No.1 relaunch in 1969). Similarly I’ve picked up magazines such as Punch No1 and Radio Times No1.
Did you ever go to the original Memorabilia shows at the NEC (before they changed into MCM)? There was a seller there who had loads of old newspapers for about £1 each. I picked up several from the 1960s there, which brought back memories of reading them as a child.(The Mirror was such a good paper back then.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I like them for the nostalgia. The horse racing, football, tv listings and the film adverts. In my last years at school I would buy the mail or express which were both broadsheet then. I've always had a soft spot for broadsheet papers. My parents took the mirror. Seeing Ironside on bbc 1 at peak viewing time or a fifties Western on ITV at 8pm was the norm then. Now it's soaps and reality tv or po-faced drama. No fun.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Did you ever go to the original Memorabilia shows at the NEC
I only went down to the NEC twice, in successive years I think, in order to take my two lads, then teenagers, to the Motor Show. They were car mad. I was bored for the most part but you have to show willing, don't you?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This morning from Will at 30th Century Comics I bought two issues of DIANA from 1972 and fifteen issues of BUNTY between 668 from 1970 and 2033 from 1996. I should have them by Wednesday with any luck.