What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

paw broon wrote:Adam, I'm sorry to be late getting back re. 3Star Adventures. I asked round at the E/B Con last week, incl. a couple of folk connected with the comics dept. at Dundee. All to no avail, I'm afraid. Even McShane was caught out with the title.
About the Roy Rogers' Trigger. There were 14 issues, all Dell reprints, and not to be confused with Roy Rogers Comic, also published by Pembertons/WDL. To confuse matters, Roy Rogers Comic changed title to Roy Rogers and Trigger, for a bit in the middle of the run of 100 issues. I only found this out while scanning an issue that I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure out how and where to list it.
Thank you so much for your efforts Paw. I'm just going to have to see whether I can get the other issues of 3*Star and work it out that way. I'll keep you informed!

Regarding Roy Rogers and Trigger, they did get a bit confusing. I actually thought there were 15 issues of Roy Rogers and Trigger. I'll have to look through and see if I also have the #1 of Roy Rogers Comics, I don't think so. Here's the one I've just bought, not in the best condition but complete!
Attachments
RR + Trigger3.jpg
RR + Trigger2.jpg
RR + Trigger1.jpg

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up a full set of Vulcan on eBay. Pricey but as they have the free gifts I thought I could flip the gifts separately and get the actual comics bound.

Or maybe I'll send them to compal to sell... I'm still gobsmacked at the price he managed for that set. Oh well, auction fever and all that...

So my next bound lots will be, a Vulcan full run, a StarLord full run, the Avengers issues of Diana, a three volume set of Shiver and Shake full run, a three volume set of Monster Fun full run, a Scream full run, a two or three volume Cor!! #1-50 and finally a pre-ban 2 volume set of Action to accommodate the format change. Might do a post ban set but I'll see how they turn out first.

I'm tempted to try for a full Scorcher run as the format is continuous and again it's a three volume set. :idea:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Picked up a full set of Vulcan on eBay. Pricey but as they have the free gifts I thought I could flip the gifts separately and get the actual comics bound.

Or maybe I'll send them to compal to sell... I'm still gobsmacked at the price he managed for that set. Oh well, auction fever and all that...

So my next bound lots will be, a Vulcan full run, a StarLord full run, the Avengers issues of Diana, a three volume set of Shiver and Shake full run, a three volume set of Monster Fun full run, a Scream full run, a two or three volume Cor!! #1-50 and finally a pre-ban 2 volume set of Action to accommodate the format change. Might do a post ban set but I'll see how they turn out first.

I'm tempted to try for a full Scorcher run as the format is continuous and again it's a three volume set. :idea:

You're going to need some new shelves as well!

SID

Post by SID »

koollectablz wrote:Picked up a full set of Vulcan on eBay. Pricey but as they have the free gifts I thought I could flip the gifts separately and get the actual comics bound.

Go for it! :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

Last ever issue of Panini's The Incredible Hulks.

RIP.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I reckon I'll need less space... I can put my runs on edge like books rather than flat or stood up in boxes.

New shelves would be nice though... hmmmmmm...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, I did buy a Superman Graphic Novel and I did advance a deal which involves me getting a large number of picture libraries for a very reasonable price per issue.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

y

The paper quality on Scorcher does change to web offset during its run though.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Well, Colin, all I can say is, do tell. Which series? Dates? Genres?
I think we should be told :wink:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

When you say advance, Col, does that mean that you have made an offer below the seller's asking price that has not yet been accepted? If not, what does it mean?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Just the one purchase yesterday of Cheerio #1 from Amalgamated in 1919

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:When you say advance, Col, does that mean that you have made an offer below the seller's asking price that has not yet been accepted? If not, what does it mean?
By advance, I mean I have been given some more information on this chap's collection of 800 plus Commandos and a smattering of Battle Picture Libraries for a very reasonable price. I have also got the seller to give me dates of when I could order the courier to transfer them from the depths of Gloucestershire to deepest darkest Fife. As the price is so reasonable, we had already agreed to it. Or to be more precise, I think the seller is checking that his hand and arm are still attached to him as the price is a steal.

I fully expect to end up with half of them as doubles and if that is the case, I will still be pleased as I will still have a very reasonable price per comic as I will still be getting them for less than the 1986 cover price. Plus, I will have a bucketload of doubles to swap! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for the clarification, Col. Best of luck naturally on the sales front.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Kashgar wrote:y

The paper quality on Scorcher does change to web offset during its run though.
The actual size stays the same though doesn't it? If there's a 'natural' break when the paper changes I can start a new volume? I'm just conscious about keeping the individual volumes around the same thickness, a run the size of Monster Fun or Shiver n Shake works out quite well. Scorcher has around the same number of issues.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

My collection of Scorcher is packed away in a cupboard so I can't say for certain when web offset production began. I'll check later. It was possibly following the merger with Score in July 1971. Page size remained the same though.