What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

Does that Treks of Blood and Ice feature cases that the mounties dealt with as I am wondering if it has any information on the Mad Trapper of Rat River from 1932?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Please note that the larger booklets are all DD Watkins artwork, also quite a lots of the contents as well. Great !!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Only one Canada story and it is Red River. It mentions the Earl of Selkirk gathering men from the Scottish highlands who crossed the Atlantic and colonised an area of Canada.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks for cut and paste advice. I should have realised as I do that on my mobile phone when copying a text into an email. My mate Steve doesn't have a mobile phone.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Only one Canada story and it is Red River. It mentions the Earl of Selkirk gathering men from the Scottish highlands who crossed the Atlantic and colonised an area of Canada.
Thanks for looking anyway.

Today, I picked up Captain Marvel and 39 more issues of Commando to leave me with 586 to go!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Right Col, never mind Commando and put me out of my misery. Which Captain Marvel? The Big Red Cheese? Mar-vell? Monica Rambeau (Lady Marvel :roll: ) Carol Danvers? Or one of in-betweenies? Or perhaps he whose name cannot be mentioned and must be called Shazam in case Marvel take the hump?
I think we should be told!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:Right Col, never mind Commando and put me out of my misery. Which Captain Marvel? The Big Red Cheese? Mar-vell? Monica Rambeau (Lady Marvel :roll: ) Carol Danvers? Or one of in-betweenies? Or perhaps he whose name cannot be mentioned and must be called Shazam in case Marvel take the hump?
I think we should be told!
It was this series of 3 from 1997.
Untold_Legend_of_Captain_Marvel_Vol_1_1.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yesterday I picked up a couple of fascinating softback comic annuals published in the 1950s by L. Miller & Son, both of which collect a range of comic strips featuring characters such as the Phantom, Mandrake, Dick Tracy, Terry and the Pirates, etc. who were owned by various American syndicates. I'd be interested if anybody has ever come scross these before as they are completely new to me (apparently they were both tied in with a couple of British weekly titles called King Comic and Family Favourites Comic Weekly).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Any chance of cover scans or titles? On Saturday I picked up a 1981 News of the World SunDay magazine which had a comic strip by John Burns called Eartha. About a prehistoric girl transported to modern day Britain. Can't scan it but if you Google eartha comic strip you'll see some examples.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

2 Buster xmas specials 64 & 68 holiday special 74. Whizzer and chips holiday specials 74 & 78.Wow holiday special 84.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's the King Comic Annual I picked up on Saturday. The other one is in the same format and called Family Favourites Comic Annual ('A Jolly Miller Publication'! :) )
Attachments
king.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I've heard of but only once seen a copy of King Comic and I've never set eyes on Family Favourites Comic. As the title suggests, King Comic featured King properties but what I didn't know till I looked it up was that Family Favourites Comic used Chicago Tribune - New York News Syndicate strips.
As for the Annuals you picked up, they are new to me but presumably collected entire stories from the weekly, or am I havering? I'd be curious to know if anyone else can find or has info on the Annuals as the only mention of them is here on GCD:-
https://www.comics.org/series/86062/
nothing on contents or page count.
This is the entry for Family Favourites:-
https://www.comics.org/series/11214/
I think King Comic is associated with the American title of the same name by Standard, as that one also reprinted KFS features in comic book format.
Thanks for a look at the King annual :D

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

The contents of King Comic Annual are listed at http://www.mandrakewiki.org/index.php?t ... _magazine)

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Unfortunately there isn't a listing on the page. Shame, that. I was looking forward to finding out what Phantom and/or Mandrake strips were in there.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Paw

That's odd. The site is definitely there, and the URL is correct, but you're right, clicking on it doesn't work right.

I found it by searching for "king comic annual" on Google, then clicked on King Comic Annual (UK Magazine) - MandrakeWiki. That should do it.

The listing says what strips are in the annual, but there are no details on specific stories other than the Mandrake one.