What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by big bad bri »

final 3 volumes of Charley's war and Dan Dare annuals 1979 & 1980.I've seen one seller asking £30 for both this week and i paid £2.50 for my 2 copies it just goes to show how greedy some sellers are.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A great variety:

The Scream and Misty special that we all know about
One shots: Zippy - Cartoon Art - 1947, Hubba Hubba - Transatlantic - 1947, Whizbang - Marx/Philmar - 1947 - I'm loving these more and more as I find them.
Seven #1,2 & 3 all with free gifts - Gresham - 1971
Shari Lewis' Lambchop Weekly #1 - Shelbourne - 1972
Super Naturals #1 wfg - Fleetway - 1987
Splat #1 - 1985 - still finding out about this one. Hagar the Horrible is on the front cover.
Fleetway Companion - Steve Holland
Blazing West/Boy's Ranch #1 - Streamline - 1951
41 Commandos mainly to improve the ones I have

blaing

Post by blaing »

This week's Beano (which is No. 3897) at my local newsagent.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Shari Lewis' Lambchop Weekly #1
You outbid me on that one. I must admit I didn't expect it to go for that much. I wanted it as a present for my eldest granddaughter, Lois, who has had a cuddly toy she calls Lambchop in bed to help her get to sleep since she was knee high to a grasshopper. I suppose I'll have to put a search out for one now in order not to miss any advertised issues in future.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:Shari Lewis' Lambchop Weekly #1 - Shelbourne - 1972
I loved Shari Lewis and Lambchop when I was growing up and watching them on Youtube never fails to bring a smile to my face.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Shari Lewis' Lambchop Weekly #1
You outbid me on that one. I must admit I didn't expect it to go for that much. I wanted it as a present for my eldest granddaughter, Lois, who has had a cuddly toy she calls Lambchop in bed to help her get to sleep since she was knee high to a grasshopper. I suppose I'll have to put a search out for one now in order not to miss any advertised issues in future.
30th Century have one for sale at only a fiver or so

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Castle of Horror #1 by Portman Distribution from 1978. That's the final first issue I needed to have all 8 that they bought out in 1978 and 1979:
Castle of Horror, Chilling Tales of Horror, Demon, Ghoul Tales, Journey into Nightmare, Shock, Stark Terror and Tales of Terror.
That's another search I can take off my Ebay account and just in time for Halloween!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:30th Century have one for sale at only a fiver or so
Thanks for that information, Adam. I've only just seen your comment as I've been busy most of the day. I'll ring them tomorrow morning bang on 10.30 when they open.

SID

Post by SID »

Adam Eterno wrote:Castle of Horror #1 by Portman Distribution from 1978. That's the final first issue I needed to have all 8 that they bought out in 1978 and 1979:
Castle of Horror, Chilling Tales of Horror, Demon, Ghoul Tales, Journey into Nightmare, Shock, Stark Terror and Tales of Terror.
That's another search I can take off my Ebay account and just in time for Halloween!
I remember them (and liked them too). Strange how they all started around the same and then ended around the same time.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Castle of Horror #1 by Portman Distribution from 1978. That's the final first issue I needed to have all 8 that they bought out in 1978 and 1979:
I remember them (and liked them too). Strange how they all started around the same and then ended around the same time.
There was only a finite amount of material available to use, as the Marvel comics they reprinted from didn't last too long either. However, I think there was some politics going on too, as they were in competition with Marvel UK. Seemed strange that they had the licence to reprint Marvel stuff, when Marvel UK were still going strong.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Lew Stringer wrote:[

There was only a finite amount of material available to use, as the Marvel comics they reprinted from didn't last too long either. However, I think there was some politics going on too, as they were in competition with Marvel UK. Seemed strange that they had the licence to reprint Marvel stuff, when Marvel UK were still going strong.
33 issues in total between the 8 titles always seemed strange to me too. I agree Lew that there must have been some politics going on. Shame as I really enjoy them.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Visited Kingdom Comics today and went through three boxes to find another 4 issues of Commando. And to round off my purchases, I picked up an issue of World at War from Charlton Comics Group.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Currently in Nairn where a charity shop has loads of 4000ish Commandos at 25p each.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

starscape wrote:Currently in Nairn where a charity shop has loads of 4000ish Commandos at 25p each.
I still need 13 in the 4000s but Nairn is a bit far for me sadly!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Adam Eterno wrote:
starscape wrote:Currently in Nairn where a charity shop has loads of 4000ish Commandos at 25p each.
I still need 13 in the 4000s but Nairn is a bit far for me sadly!
Unfortunately it's not open Sunday and I'm away before Monday. However it was Sue Ryder so you could write to them at that price.