What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

CharleyBourne

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by CharleyBourne »

Phoenix wrote:
abacus wrote:our city only has Forbidden Planet
To compensate though, abacus, in The Black Cat you do have a very decent secondhand bookshop with an extremely pleasant owner. I've only visited the shop once, and that was a good few years ago, but I usually chat with the owner on the many occasions he takes a stand at the bookfairs at Haydock Park racecourse, which I usually attend as it is less than half an hour's drive from my house.
Leicester is really lacking in comic book shops at the minute. There is a forbidden planet but it is more full of plastic then comics. There used to be the Magic Labyrinth and that had a massive selection of both new and back issues and a large selection of UK comics too. Unfortunately for some reason or another it went down hill and became a bit of a mess and sadly is now closed.

The Black Cat book shop used to be on the top floor of the silver arcade which in its self was a lovely little tucked away shopping arcade in Leicester city center I used to spend hours in there most Saturdays going through there back issues. Sadly the Silver Arcade had to close and the Black Cat moved to another shop in the Town for a while but it didn't last long there either.
The last time I saw the guy who ran the shop was in the indoor market he helped me get hold of some 2000AD issues I was missing. Sadly the indoor market has now gone from Leicester and I have not seen the guy since.

There are a few places you can get comic books from in Leicester if you know where to look but they are few and far between and for some reason some of the places see comic books and think they are worth big bucks and charge the earth for comics that are worth next to nothing.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

A sad tale, Charley, which may well be reflecting a country-wide situation. Rent plus reduced footfall and sales will be the major problems I suspect. There are three decent secondhand bookshops here in Liverpool, but only one of them has any comics for sale, and there really aren't enough of them for me to call the area where the shop owner has put them a comics section.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Another 10 busters off my list but would have been 16 but over half the comics had the joke page cut out.I was so annoyed lol as it was obvious some pages were missing as bits of page was sticking out.my fault for not asking if they was any pages missing as ii have multiples of issues with booklets cut out etc.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:Another 10 busters off my list but would have been 16 but over half the comics had the joke page cut out.I was so annoyed lol as it was obvious some pages were missing as bits of page was sticking out.my fault for not asking if they was any pages missing as ii have multiples of issues with booklets cut out etc.
I've noticed that some sellers state "no free gifts" in their listings, which should only mean the actual free gifts, but some are talking about the centrespread posters, cut-out booklets etc. Hard to believe that some people consider booklets that were part of the usual page count as "free gifts" but some did.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

abacus

Post by abacus »

CharleyBourne wrote:

The last time I saw the guy who ran the shop was in the indoor market he helped me get hold of some 2000AD issues I was missing. Sadly the indoor market has now gone from Leicester and I have not seen the guy since.
He may be the chap that stands wednesday morning on the market selling books and comics situated near the road leading out of the market from the Leicester tourist shop near the new square next to a chap selling birthday cards.He does take wanted lists.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

abacus wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:

He may be the chap that stands wednesday morning on the market selling books and comics situated near the road leading out of the market from the Leicester tourist shop near the new square next to a chap selling birthday cards.He does take wanted lists.
The main market is still there I hope? I haven't been to Leicester for a couple of years.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

abacus wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:

Sadly Abacus It has been a long time since I have had a Wednesday off work to go and have a look :(

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

Lew Stringer wrote:
abacus wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:

The main market is still there I hope? I haven't been to Leicester for a couple of years.
Hi Lew
yeah the Market is till there but sadly not a patch on what it used to be.
there is a guy who stands on there that has a massive selection of commando comics but there are very few other comic of book stalls there now.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Lew Stringer wrote: The main market is still there I hope? I haven't been to Leicester for a couple of years.
Yes ! That is a permanent Leicester fixture .
There is the charity shop in the Leicester area that has lots of annuals and U.S comics that I visit regularly but with the number of comic buyers with deep pockets about I tend to keep quiet about where it is situated I don't want a day facing empty boxes or shelves :D

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

CharleyBourne wrote:
Leicester is really lacking in comic book shops at the minute. There is a forbidden planet but it is more full of plastic then comics. There used to be the Magic Labyrinth and that had a massive selection of both new and back issues and a large selection of UK comics too. Unfortunately for some reason or another it went down hill and became a bit of a mess and sadly is now closed.

The Black Cat book shop used to be on the top floor of the silver arcade which in its self was a lovely little tucked away shopping arcade in Leicester city center I used to spend hours in there most Saturdays going through there back issues. Sadly the Silver Arcade had to close and the Black Cat moved to another shop in the Town for a while but it didn't last long there either.

There are a few places you can get comic books from in Leicester if you know where to look but they are few and far between and for some reason some of the places see comic books and think they are worth big bucks and charge the earth for comics that are worth next to nothing.
I was in Leicester at University from '82 - '86. I bet it's changed a bit since I frequented the pubs and clubs of the town!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:That is a permanent Leicester fixture .
So are Burnley and Arsenal.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

CharleyBourne wrote:there is a guy who stands on there that has a massive selection of commando comics
Delete this line, Charley, before Col claps eyes on it. He'll be straight on a train with his pockets overflowing with the family's bawbees for the month, and Mrs Valeera will never ever be able to forgive you. :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
CharleyBourne wrote:there is a guy who stands on there that has a massive selection of commando comics
Delete this line, Charley, before Col claps eyes on it. He'll be straight on a train with his pockets overflowing with the family's bawbees for the month, and Mrs Valeera will never ever be able to forgive you. :lol:
Too late and herself would be overjoyed if we went to Leicester as that is where her big sister lives and any excuse to visit her is a good one as far as she is concerned. Plus she would be encouraging me to fill the gaps!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Oh and I got this delivered today.
ROTR Book.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:I got this delivered today.
A nice item, Col. I've got one of those somewhere. I think I bought it when it first came out.