What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

Kashgar wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I hadn't looked closely at those Rainbows and it hadn't occurred to me that twelve issues didn't cover four full months. It turns out one issue is numbered 1891/96 and dated March 10 to April 14 1956.
I must admit I was wondering about the amount of comics. Could you post a picture of the 1891/96, I'd love to see it.
This, of course, happened across the whole range of AP titles in Mar/Apr 1956 as it had also happened a couple of times before.
I've never seen it, why did it happen?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here it is.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

another 14 from the Marvel graphic novel collection so 7 more to be up to date ,

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thanks Steve

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:another 14 from the Marvel graphic novel collection so 7 more to be up to date ,
They look great on a shelf with the image formed on the spines.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:
big bad bri wrote:another 14 from the Marvel graphic novel collection so 7 more to be up to date ,
They look great on a shelf with the image formed on the spines.
i had to buy 2 new bookcases lol i eventually want the dc collection as well as i have about 22 0f those and the batman and deadpool collection,these companies are getting greedy and starting way too many as there os a transformers and star trek graphic novel collection along with a star wars collection in france i think so that will probably be here in the new year.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A full set of 87 Dracula Lives by Marvel 1974-6
23 more copies of Wham! filling yet more gaps
A full set of 32 issues of Rocket from 1956.

blaing

Post by blaing »

This weeks' eBay purchases

TV Comic's Popeye Holiday Special, 1968
Funny Fortnightly Holiday Special, 1990

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Tiger Annual 1971 and Girl's World Annual 1970 for £1 each.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I just seem to be buying comics with ads. in at present.

I recently got a Victor and a Rover with ads. in for Commando #1 and #2 (as I already mentioned), today I received a Champion comic from 1939 with an ad. for Superman in the Triumph, and arriving tomorrow a Boys Own Paper from August 1946 with the first EVER ad. for............?? anyone know? (its not a comic).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Hawkeye wrote:a Boys Own Paper from August 1946 with the first EVER ad. for............?? anyone know? (its not a comic).
A total guess : Hercules or Raleigh bicycles? Eggs perhaps, which apparently were very difficult to find during the war? Families had to make do with tins of powdered egg. :)

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Educated guess. Subbuteo.

SID

Post by SID »

Just delivered: Five issues of Buster and Cor!!
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Kashgar wrote:Educated guess. Subbuteo.

The winner !!!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:Subbuteo
I used to play that with my son Andrew. We had loads of teams but fewer boxes because most of the colours were used in real life by quite a number of teams. So, for example, white shirts and blue shorts could be used for both Bolton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur, plus a handful of foreign teams. Personally though, I preferred to play SHOOT, which required greater imagination and a fair amount of skill flicking the counters, and this kept me and my friends happy for several years. We used to play the matches mainly on the carpet in each others' houses in order to have home and away fixtures. Eventually we started to use the SUBBUTEO goalposts because they were more realistic than the wooden SHOOT ones. My team and all my friends' teams were made up of imaginary players. My team was called Ransfield City. In the game when purchased, all the tiddlywink counters were red or blue, but on a family holiday in Ayr I found a shop that sold orange ones so Ransfield played in orange from then on. We all wrote the number of the position (2 to 11) of all the tiddlywink players onto both sides of the tiddlywinks. I used to write programmes for the matches, which certainly took a lot longer to prepare than the ten minutes each way the matches lasted. Looking back, so much of this was apparently wasted time, but the truth of the matter is that if I was nine years old again I know that I would do exactly the same thing. In fact it was when I was nine, after an appendicitis operation, and I was given a batch of DCT story papers, in which there were episodes of football-based serials, and then in the May, cricket-based serials, all of which ran for many weeks, that really got my imagination into overdrive. My father got cross over what he once referred to as 'that bloody imaginary football', because he was convinced that it would cause my exam marks and grades to go down. He had no imagination, I had it in spades. One day I might reveal the use I put my mother's knitting row-counter to. His worries were pointless anyway given my Birmingham University honours degree in Spanish and Portuguese and my Advanced Diploma In French from Liverpool University, and in his rough, working class way, he was proud of what I achieved. He just didn't know quite how to express it.