What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Yes I noticed the Grand Comics Database and the Comic Price Guide for Great Britain don't have images for it. I'll put it on the gallery here ASAP.
Cheers!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Non U.K bit first
Yesterday bought
ABADAZAD No.1 (2004) perfection in art and storytelling---------£1
MARVEL THE 'NAM (1987)---------------------------------------£1
DC THE SPIRIT(2008) not Will Eisner's original art but in keeping with the original ---£1
With finding U.S. comics and hardly anything in the way of U.K. comics maybe I should just hibernate for a while and give the keyboard a rest :) (who just nodded yes? ) :D

U.K. bit.
One charity shop had THE BIG FAT BUNTER BOOK(1987?) which looked good with a lot of Billy Bunter comic strips for £3 but one disappointing thing I noticed was that the pages were already turning off-white at the edges , this doesn't happen with those old 30's annuals which seem to preserve their appearance a lot better.Fleetway annual's suffer the same fate and they don't seem to have taken that into consideration when producing them.
Last edited by abacus on 03 Mar 2017, 07:09, edited 2 times in total.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Rebellion very kindly sent me a complimentary copy pf 2000ad 40th ann special after i enquired whether subscribers were getting one as part of their subscription. which they are not btw.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have just sent an image of Tomahawk 1 to the gallery but here is a preview. Its complete but well handled.
Attachments
tomahawk 1 uk.jpg

SID

Post by SID »

40th Anniversary Special of 2000AD (both covers) and the 5000th issue of Commando.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Got a lovely copy of the first Skipper Book for Boys 1932, already had one, a bit tatty but complete. If anyone would like the tatty one for free you can have it for the £2.85 postage cost. There's some great reading if you enjoy the 1930s boys adventure stories.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

The Skipper book is off to a new home.

SID

Post by SID »

40 issues of Smash! from 1970 to add to my latest collection. Just waiting for them to be delivered. :cheers:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Got a copy of "Troy Trailblazer and the Horde Queen" to give to my kid's school library (review here http://forbiddenplanet.blog/2015/review ... ailblazer/). My kid dressed up as Jess Jetrider for World Book Day last week, it was a very successful costume.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Hawkeye wrote:Got a lovely copy of the first Skipper Book for Boys 1932, already had one, a bit tatty but complete. If anyone would like the tatty one for free you can have it for the £2.85 postage cost. There's some great reading if you enjoy the 1930s boys adventure stories.
Darn it! I always miss the good deals! :-)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just bid and won on another 3 Commandos. All three are from 1966 and I got them for a very reasonable price. Even better is that one of the issues is Big Joe and that is one that I have wanted for a very long time as it's a beautiful title. Woof! Woof! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Hi,Col, when's your next update on Warlord... long overdue.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

18 sparkys 1971,1 cheeky ( 5 to go) and 14 roy of the rovers (1 to go plus another 2 better ones with centre poster intact).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked this up in Deptford flea market on Saturday for 50p but can find no information on it. There is no date inside and i'm not sure if it would be listed under Riders of the Range, Jeff Arnold or the Bozeman Trail. It is not featured in the gallery here nor on Grand Comics Database. Its like an early Graphic Novel beinf one complete story in full colour.
Attachments
jeff arnold.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I think I can help with this one. There were a number of Jeff Arnold/Riders of The Range Annuals/collections, and then there was this one. Published by Juvenile Productions in 1954, it's full title appears to be, "Jeff Arnold in The Bozeman Trail". If I'm on the right track, it should have 46 pages and feature art by Pat Williams.
Charles Chilton of Journey Into Space fame wrote many of the Jeff Arnold stories and, as his name appears on the cover, there's every chance he wrote this one.
Not sure if this is an original or a reprint from Eagle, although from the Eagle mention on the cover, it's very likely it's a reprint. Nice one.