What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by abacus »

My son bought some comics for me from a carboot while I was away on holiday ( guess who has to pay?)
I don't like the idea of him buying comics while I'm not there as he doesn't know what I collect.
This time damage not too bad though
He bought Classics illustrated 2008-2010 reprints in mint condition.Should I bore you by listing them ? Ah well! why not?
I Know there are some long suffering readers with true stamina out there.

No 1 War of the Worlds
No 2 Oliver Twist
No 3 Robin Hood
No 4 The Man in the Iron Mask
No 5 Romeo and Juliet
No 6 A journey to the Centre of the Earth
No 7 Les Miserables
No 8 the Jungle Book
No 9 Mutiny on the Bounty
No 10 Wuthering Heights
No 11 Knights of the round Table
No 13 Frankenstein
No 14 the Time Machine
No 15 A Christmas Carol
No 17 Macbeth
No 18 The Invisible Man

16 comics at 50p each I make that £8 I have to scrape from my wallet to pay my son.
Hopefully that lottery win is not too far away :)

SID

Post by SID »

Last week, I re-subscribed to Spaceship Away and the spring & summer parts have come through the post. Who says 70s comics are dead? Thanks to Spaceship Away's style & content, it could have easily fitted in with the likes of Valiant and Lion, etc.
Last edited by SID on 09 Jul 2017, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Got a nice early surprise from the postman the hardback leopard from lime st .it's a lovely book and akso has bonus pages from faceache and other forthcoming collections.i can honestly say I will buy all the books if they are all up to this quality.mine is number 93 of 200 bookplate edition tjough I still don't really know what a book plate is :lol:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Visited the edge of town charity shop where I can relax and look through the boxes of mainly Marvel and DC comics
These boxes seem to be full of standard fare of late with nothing too exciting and yet somehow I have come to regard these comics as my own secret stash.
I bought 4 comics and at the counter mentioned how slowly they sell.
The lady there said that there was a chap in last week who bought 70
70?
Were they new added stock? Did he select some fantastic titles?
Looks like I have got big spending competition and I hate competition!!!!
Breath deeply aahh ,OK I am relaxed again :D

abacus

Post by abacus »

Today's carboot I bought
The mighty world of MARVEL annual 1979 ------- 20p
FANTASTIC FOUR annual 1980 ------------------ 20p
The DESPERATE DAN book (annual) 1991--------20p Usually look for older annuals but liked the cover on this one.

Also got what looks like an interesting read the small but well illustrated book--

THE LEAGUE OF REGRETTABLE SUPERHEROES------50p
Articles on some of the lesser known characters.

Could I have got more? yes.
There was what must have been a collector selling off some of his wares with G.I COMBAT at £2 the cheapest and other comics at £3-£5.
I like haunted tank but I have only a £5 weekly budget to spend on comics and after buying comics on saturday that would have taken me over the limit.
Another seller had lots of Beano comics at 20p each and had boxes for each year 1991, 1992, 1993 but the earliest of the rest she had was 1984 and these were too new and only Biffo the Bear covers would have interested me.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bought five annuals from a car boot today. A couple of them have names written in and prices cut out, but they're otherwise in great condition including intact spines. They were Dennis the Menace 1988, Beezer 1973, Sparky 1973 and 1976, and Topper 1960, which becomes the oldest annual in my collection. And they only cost me £1 each! :D

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i got Nipper holiday special and another 6 buster in among loads of doubles including 1st combined Buster and Jet and Buster& Cor.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:i got Nipper holiday special and another 6 buster in among loads of doubles including 1st combined Buster and Jet and Buster& Cor.
Yes, it's quite an emotional story for Buster. I think it'll go down really well as a book though, assuming bookshops and comic shops have ordered enough copies of course.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Lew I think that reply was meant for the classic rebellion thread where I mentioned marney looks likes real tear jerker.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I thought Lew was meaning to reply to your Leopard From Lime Street post?

Apart from the emotional part.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:Lew I think that reply was meant for the classic rebellion thread where I mentioned marney looks likes real tear jerker.
Yeah, sorry. You're right. I must have clicked on the wrong thread when I posted my quick reply.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

blaing

Post by blaing »

Another of my checklist completed with the win of tthe 25/12/1971 issue of Cor!!

To finish my checklist, I am still on the hunt for about two dozen issues of the final year of the Topper (1990), the Christmas 1990 and New Year 1991 issue and No. 153 of the Beezer and Topper.

Everything else that I was after has now been put on the backburner.

abacus

Post by abacus »

At the town market stall there were some of The X Files magazines from 1996 for sale.
I am not well up on what was around during this period but flicking through each magazine noticed that each had a fair amount of pages devoted to comic strip.
Bought the one illustrated containing a 24 page comic story and it looked like the other magazines contained similiar amount of comic content.
I thought it would make a change from reading the normal superhero stuff.
also picked up from the same stall Marvel comic Star Trek Unlimited,
He was asking a pound each but I asked if he would charge less for the two and he agreed £1.50.
That's what comes of watching too much Bargain Hunt I'm afraid. :)

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

Westy wrote:I was very pleased to win a copy of The Beano issue 1,000 on EBay yesterday, which I've hankered after for a number of years. Could somebody please clarify, is the cover by Dudley Watkins?

Thanks!
cover aint Watkins, maybe Leo Baxendale?

dishes

Post by dishes »

irishjohnp wrote:
Westy wrote:I was very pleased to win a copy of The Beano issue 1,000 on EBay yesterday, which I've hankered after for a number of years. Could somebody please clarify, is the cover by Dudley Watkins?

Thanks!
cover aint Watkins, maybe Leo Baxendale?

No way. Then the Baxendale-created characters would look more on-model.

I still think it's Watkins.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk