Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Raven »

The Spider-Man Comics Weekly is this one, from November 1975:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveD ... fc3cfa23c7

Maybe one of the crew brought in some of their kids' old comics!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I watched One Foot in the Algarve (grave) and Victor had brought his suitcase from the attic which contained stuff from the attic rather than luggage....inside were some old Beezers and other stuff..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Being a Bermondsey boy I had to watch the Michael Barrymore edition of "The House That Made Me" he grew up on the Dickens estate (where my nan used to live) and they recreated his home exactly as it was in the 60s. There was a nice close up of an early 60s issue of the Beezer. He was also filmed in Manzes Pie and Mash shop in Tower Bridge Road.

Going back to that film I mentioned earlier - the bloke reading the Topper is Jack Buchanan and by sheer coincidence I picked up a biography of him at Deptford flea market on Saturday - it was covered in snow, as was I. It was only a quid so I thought i'd pick it up for my mate Steve who, as well as being a comics fan, is also a film buff. Apparently in that scene he had run for a bus and had slipped and twisted his ankle but carried on filming in a lot of pain. I really enjoyed walking around the high street in thick snow and the stallholders were playing christmas cds so very atmospheric. I looked like a snowman at one point.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Going back a bit I wonder if anyone remembers 'The Larkins' starring Peggy Mount and David Kossof in which their American son-in-law made a questionable living by writing for a fictitious 'cowboy comic' called The Bullet? (of course this was long before the DC Thomson title of the same name)

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I loved the Larkins as a kid and have the first series on dvd. There was a classic scene where battleaxe Ada Larkin (Peggy Mount) is having a go at her husband and the cuckoo clock starts chiming, she looks at it and shouts "Shut up!" and it stops dead. David Kossoff used to narrate bible stories on the radio which we listened to in primary school.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

David was also father to the late Paul Kossoff of the band Free.

- Phil R.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

A 'Buster' on 'James May's - My sisters top toys.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

A few days ago there was a programme on ITV1 about the old 'Candid Camera' TV Show. They showed a clip from the 70's where three kids were the victims of the hidden camera stunt. The gag was that they were left in a room then the phone rang and they had to take a complicated message. Two of the kids were reading comics at the beginning of the clip. In the screen cap below, one of the kids is obscured by the kid on the phone. The picture quality was pretty bad but I reckon the comic on the left is Whizzer and Chips, and the one on the right (held by the kid behind the one on the phone) is Whoopee! (it looks a bit like Buster in this cap but from watching the clip it seemed more like Whoopee's curved title to me).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Buster's title was curved at one point too. It's too blurry to tell which it is.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I saw the programme. It was definitely Buster.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Could well be Buster now I've looked at it again.

If anyone wants to see the clip go to http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=201466, then when it's loaded, drag the bar thing to 19 minutes (you'll have to suffer several adverts after you've done this).

Raven

Post by Raven »

Looks like a Whizzer and Chips and a Buster from post May 1976, so we can date this clip to the 'Jonathan Routh and Candid Camera' series that ran from September-December 1976.

Those kids have good taste - but stop creasing your comics! People will be wanting to buy them in excellent condition from Ebay in 34 years time!

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Raven wrote:Looks like a Whizzer and Chips and a Buster from post May 1976, so we can date this clip to the 'Jonathan Routh and Candid Camera' series that ran from September-December 1976.

Those kids have good taste - but stop creasing your comics! People will be wanting to buy them in excellent condition from Ebay in 34 years time!
It's not just the creasing - the kid holding Buster was picking her nose as well :lol:

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I should have recognised that Buster as I now realise I have it in my collection. It's the back cover that identifies the issue...

Well spotted Lew, and Raven you were right about the date.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

As the cover implies, the issue of Buster above features a Val's Vanishing Cream/Kid Gloves team-up...