What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by philcom55 »

That's the trouble with Ebay - it leaves you thinking you've just missed out, whereas there's no guarantee you'd have won by bidding an extra pound. The winners might well have put in maximum bids that were well above what the items went for!

- Phil R.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

The 1958 Beano book :( damn!
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Had a look at an undated Adventure Land Annual from DC Thomson at a local boot sale this morning (Al's gallery lists it as the last one, provisionally dated 1941). Generally nice condition with a lovely cover but at £10 I decided the price was a bit too steep and went off in search of other bargains. An hour later, having only picked up a job lot of 1970s comics for £2 (including one of Brian Bolland's banned 'Jolly Green Giant' episodes of the Cursed Earth saga in 2000AD), I decided to go back and offer £4 - only to be told (quite fairly) it'd be worth much more on ebay. Nevertheless, the lady was prepared to sell it for £6. I thought about it for a bit - imagining the amount of space it'd take up - and decided to turn it down again (I'd probably have agreed to buy at £5).

However, half an hour later I went back again (plagued by the possibility that I'd look it up when I got home and find it was ultra-rare and worth a fortune), only to discover that someone else had bought it in the meantime!

Now I can't decide whether to be annoyed with myself or relieved. :?

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

It's important to work out not so much how much something is worth, but how much it's worth to you.

I've let things go that were technically bargains, but which cost more than they were worth to me.

Of course you can factor in resale value, but if you do you have to honestly consider whether you would ever let the thing go.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:Had a look at an undated Adventure Land Annual from DC Thomson at a local boot sale this morning (Al's gallery lists it as the last one, provisionally dated 1941). Generally nice condition with a lovely cover but at £10 I decided the price was a bit too steep and went off in search of other bargains. An hour later, having only picked up a job lot of 1970s comics for £2 (including one of Brian Bolland's banned 'Jolly Green Giant' episodes of the Cursed Earth saga in 2000AD), I decided to go back and offer £4 - only to be told (quite fairly) it'd be worth much more on ebay. Nevertheless, the lady was prepared to sell it for £6. I thought about it for a bit - imagining the amount of space it'd take up - and decided to turn it down again (I'd probably have agreed to buy at £5).

However, half an hour later I went back again (plagued by the possibility that I'd look it up when I got home and find it was ultra-rare and worth a fortune), only to discover that someone else had bought it in the meantime!

Now I can't decide whether to be annoyed with myself or relieved. :?

- Phil Rushton
What a coincidence! There's a copy on eBay.
http://comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5151

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Wow! This is a small world, Philcom55, I don't suppose you were at Stafford Carboot this morning? I saw that copy for £10 and had a good look at it. I asked the lady what her best price was and bought it on the spot.

Couldn't believe when I saw it! Are you from Stafford? I live up by the hospital....

Is it really such a small world!??!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It really is Adam. :)

On the whole I'm not too sorry about leaving it as I don't really collect the old story papers - it'll be interesting to see what it goes for on ebay though!

- Phil R.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Are you from Stafford? What sort of comics do you collect? Happy to meet up for swaps etc. I couldn't belive the size of Stafford carboot today, never seen it so big!

From the sounds of it, I've missed out on other items though, I didn't get there until half 10.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

lol, so both posts were talking about the same copy then? Small world indeed.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

My mum phoned me from a charity shop earlier. They had three 1980s Dandy Books, but without looking inside them, I couldn't identify if I had any of them. After finding all of the relevant ones I had (they're stored in a few different places in the house), I found that the one she described (1980) was one I already had. She never said the other dates, only that a cat was on them (Korky, which is true for all ten of them from that decade). I'll be checking that shop for myself on Friday, when I'll be in that area anyway, as apparently they had other annuals as well, which she didn't mention until she got home.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Heh, once my parents rang me up asking if I was interested in volumes of The Captain from two different years, I already had volumes from those years, but the Captain's volumes were 6-monthly. I said buy them anyway as they were only £5 each, when I saw them I discovered they were actually the "other halves" of the years I already owned, result!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Scope charity shop in Hull city centre has a LOT of annuals and comics in stock right now. I bought three annuals, but you'll be very interested in what I left behind.

Mum's Own Annual (Fleetway 1993)
3x Roy of the Rovers Annual (1980s)
6x Dandy Annual (5 of them were ones I already had, the 1981 one had at least one page which had been scribbled on in felt tip, so I didn't buy that either)

Various other annuals from the following titles:
Whizzer and Chips
Cheeky
Hotspur
Victor
Shiver and Shake
Topper (same reason as Dandy 1981, it was defaced)
2000AD
Judge Dredd
Battle

And comics:
Beano
Dandy
Wizard
Beano Comic Library (I was out of money, may go back another day)
Beano Puzzle Book
Jackpot

Those lists are far from complete, since I'm only going from memory. The comics range from 1970s to early 2000s, while the annuals go back as far as the 1950s (mostly 80s though).

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Ooh! I don't suppose you would know if they have Dandy comics from the 1970s?

http://comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4934

Hull is a bit of a treck from Stafford...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sorry, from what I saw, the only Dandy comics they had were early 2000s or late 90s. It's the Jackpots and Wizards that date from the 70s.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Which Shiver & Shake is it? I only have the 1985 one, wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of it.

Meanwhile, someone on eBay was selling the full run of Acne for £30. That's more than I'm willing to pay, so left that one.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s