What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Oxfam this morning had Fudge In Bubbleville by Ken Reid. Almost bought it until I noticed they were charging £19.99 for it - more than I'm willing to pay for a book in a charity shop!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That'd be quite a bargain if it was the original, but not if it was the Savoy reprint (much more likely I'm afraid).

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I noticed WH Smith is selling a Guinness Book of Records sized Marvel Encyclopaedia for £9.99 - reduced from £25. Full colour throughout. I don't have the room for large books so didn't buy it. A nice Christmas gift for youngsters.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

philcom55 wrote:That'd be quite a bargain if it was the original, but not if it was the Savoy reprint (much more likely I'm afraid).

- Phil Rushton
Interesting... I'll have another look if it's still there tomorrow. Didn't note the publisher at the time, but it was a soft cover (not a hardback), and originally priced at £3.50.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's the Savoy one then. Fudge In Bubbleville originally came out in 1949, and that price you just mentioned is decimal, making that edition post-1969.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Cheers for that - it's still cheaper than it is on Amazon, and it IS charity... So might get it tomorrow after all (that's if it's still there - it was in with a pile of Rupert books).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Went back for it, and it turns out I'd misread the price - it was £9.99, not £19.99, so yep, I got it.

It IS the Savoy one after all, printed in 1981. Still, you can never have too much Ken Reid on your shelf, right?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I could have had a first edition of Tom Brown's Schooldays for £15 once, but couldn't be bothered to walk to a cash machine and back to the shop. Of course when I went again a week later it was long gone. Learned a lesson that day!

Now, I wonder if that interesting wartime-looking book about Spitfires will still be in that bookshop on Saturday...

Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent »

Found the the 1st issue of pulp detective in WH Smiths in lakeside shopping centre yesterday had a good look at it , then put it back in the rack was not my cup of tea. The store has lots of copy's if any in the Essex , east London area is looking for a copy

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Now, I wonder if that interesting wartime-looking book about Spitfires will still be in that bookshop on Saturday...
Well it was, but it has a W.E. Johns story in it, so was about £40 more than I was expecting / intending to pay. Also recently ebay bid on some bound wartime Champions, but lost out. There's quite a few 40's Champions drifting aorund on there, but I've not got any because it was mostly a serial paper. Mind you I do grab up individual Boys' Friend's now and then.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Went to a car boot sale - nothing doing in terms of buying (mostly too recent annuals & wasn't tempted by a 1978 Shiver & Shake), but saw a couple of interesting things:

A 1983 "Dreamer" annual - a short-lived girls' comic which was advertised on TV (think it had a detective called Cheryl). Must say when I saw the girl on the cover drawing from a distance, I thought it was Geoffrey Hayes from Rainbow! Those trendy short girls' hairstyles of the 80s!

Also saw some old 1969 "Jackie" on sale- much as I like the pop music of theat time (and I wasn't born then), it's not something I'd spend budget on. Also had a copy of "Mirabelle" its shorter lived rival. Noticed front cover mentioned a feature on Savile's Travels - not surprised if people are reluctant to buy that.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

A few weeks ago when I was in London there was a huge bookstall by the river, and several boxes with comics. Amongst some there were Roy of the Rovers comics from the 90's and some very early Sparky comics - the ealiest issue was no. 38 I think.

Wish I'd grabbed some.
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Pulp detective :( issue 2 was supposed to be out on the 8th, but the Facebook page said it was instead going digital-only next year. Oddly issue 1 is still hanging around in WH Smith

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, I don't think it's been selling very well, I've seen half a dozen copies gathering dust in my local branch of WHSmith too.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Went to a comic fair on Saturday, but found very little doing. Saw pile of TV Comics from 76, but wasn't tempted, but did see 3 Misty comcis on sale, but vendor wanted a tenner each for them, so I declined (sp as I've had to cover cost fro a recent tooth filling).

Sunday's antiques market trip I spotted but didn't buy:
1992 Beanos (far too recent for me, & many humour comcis not as good by then; I blame the smacking ban!)

2 copies of Mandy from 1967 (my budget was shot by then)

Also for just £1.50, a Candy & Andy annual in excellent condition; I declined to buy this curio - bit too creepy for my liking).