What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by philcom55 »

If you think of it as about £2.50 each that doesn't sound too bad. Unfortunately I already have a lot of those issues (as well as no.1) so it wouldn't have been worth the same to me (added to the fact that bidding against the winner would have raised the price even higher!).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:If you think of it as about £2.50 each that doesn't sound too bad. Unfortunately I already have a lot of those issues (as well as no.1) so it wouldn't have been worth the same to me (added to the fact that bidding against the winner would have raised the price even higher!).
It doesn't, I agree, especially as I have none of them but hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing! The bidding was at £20ish with a minute to go so I thought I'd be OK. Who knows how high it could have gone if I'd bid even higher!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Saw three vintage annuals at £2 each in the charity shop.
The one I was interested in and would have bought was a late '30s Walt Disneys Snow White annual pubished by DEAN.This black and white annual contained some comic strip stories.
Trouble was that on rainy days in the pre -mass tv ownership era children often sat colouring the pictures in their favourite books and that applied to this one with many of the pictures coloured in and therefore making it an unwanted collectable item.
The other two were Mabel Lucie Attwell books which I wasn't interested in because they didn't contain any comic strips
although I know some would collect these in the same way they would collect say ,Lawson Wood books simply for the artwork.

I try buying comics that I think I would really enjoy reading and that means not buying a number of popular comics that I see around even though they are at the sort of bargain low prices I like paying.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Too many!

Missed out on quite a few over the last few days. Constantly being pipped at the last second but usually because I just didn't want to pay as much as the comic went for.

I've missed out on:
Captain Flash #1, 1955
Zombie #1, 1961 (wish I'd bid a little higher on this one)
Mystery in Space #1, 1954
Challengers of the Unknown #1, 1960
Ghost Ranger NN, Foldes - I'd never heard of it!?
3 Star NN, Foldes, One I don't have

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

This week's Beano! Got the Christmas special, but the weekly was sold out at both Asda and WHSmith and my local newsagent and shopping centre both also didn't have it when I tried earlier in the week. There's another WHSmith and Tesco in the city centre I can try, but I don't usually have to resort to that - something has gone wrong with the distribution this week, it seems.

EDIT: WHSmith in Hull city centre had four copies left. Phew!

abacus

Post by abacus »

From time to time the gimmick of 3D comics are introduced.I have at least one comic in this form and find that this as with newspaper printed attempts doesn 't seem to be that impressive compared to the old cinema3D or doubled photo viewers.There is one of the newer glossy type 3D comics in the charity shop complete with the glasses which I may eventually buy, that is if it is still there and I can't find anything else of interest. :)
Last edited by abacus on 21 Oct 2016, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:This week's Beano! Got the Christmas special, but the weekly was sold out at both Asda and WHSmith and my local newsagent and shopping centre both also didn't have it when I tried earlier in the week. There's another WHSmith and Tesco in the city centre I can try, but I don't usually have to resort to that - something has gone wrong with the distribution this week, it seems.
EDIT: WHSmith in Hull city centre had four copies left. Phew!
Why don't you just take out a subscription with Thomsons, Digi? That should then eliminate one major cause of weekly stress from your life at a stroke.

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

Yesterday I went to comic con in London with my son, daughter and granddaughter spent the first hour looking for Comics, for a comic con it was more soft toys and manga items , did see the Indi comic section with signing, plus the only British comics were someone from the Beano signing, not being a modern beano fan I moved on, got in the end 3 siverage Superman comics , would have got more but the prices were silly high for the condion and issues .
I did at the very end get a sealed box of 50 American comics for £20 , when I had a look found some good issues to read with a coffiee and biccies
I think I was a bit too old for this comic con as the star signers seem to be bloggers and you tubers .

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Interesting B's g. I went to a comic mart in Glasgow yesterday and bought sfa. There were 6 comic dealers, I think but vitually all the offers were Marvel/DC, either #1 issues, variant covers or signed, and 50p boxes. One dealer was doing simply piles of tpb's and gn.s at about half the price they were in e.g. FP.
The rest/majority of the stalls were gifts, illos, sketches, cupcakes - you get the idea. Lots of cosplay people, also.
I did enjoy meeting old friends and acquaintances and chatting for what seemed like hours about comics, tv, and, in one case, how many more comics and dealers there were at marts in the past. But then I am getting old.

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

paw broon wrote:Interesting B's g. I went to a comic mart in Glasgow yesterday and bought sfa. There were 6 comic dealers, I think but vitually all the offers were Marvel/DC, either #1 issues, variant covers or signed, and 50p boxes. One dealer was doing simply piles of tpb's and gn.s at about half the price they were in e.g. FP.
The rest/majority of the stalls were gifts, illos, sketches, cupcakes - you get the idea. Lots of cosplay people, also.
I did enjoy meeting old friends and acquaintances and chatting for what seemed like hours about comics, tv, and, in one case, how many more comics and dealers there were at marts in the past. But then I am getting old.

Join the club for getting mature not old :lol:
Ebay and the internet seems to have cut down on comic dealers , my son is a big transformers collector and said he can get the same items at the con for less than half of the prices some dealers were trying to obtain and he spends
big money on his collection

starscape

Post by starscape »

Whole load of Commandos (around 2700-2900*) at Barnados in Linlithgow. They also had a few Air Ace with Battler Britton and some other obscure military pocket book from a publisher that I'd never seen before (name escapes me but pre-decimal). 89p each IIRC.

*issue numbers not the amount
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

irishjohnp

Post by irishjohnp »

A collection of approx 35x Shiver & Shake comics from 1974, owner states some suffered from damp staining. closer inspection shows pen numbering to top corner of each issue but good eye appeal. I dropped out and it all sold for £45

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Starscape mentioned the Commando and other war pic. libraries. With Colin in mind, I scuttled along there and picked up the non Commando issues. The unidentified ones were 2 issues of Battleground, a Famepress title featuring Italian reprints. So that's Colin sorted for a while.
Oddly, one of the Air Ace comics is a decimal issue and the indicia says the publisher is not Fleetway but Ron Philips. No idea what's going on there.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:Starscape mentioned the Commando and other war pic. libraries. With Colin in mind, I scuttled along there and picked up the non Commando issues. The unidentified ones were 2 issues of Battleground, a Famepress title featuring Italian reprints. So that's Colin sorted for a while.
Oddly, one of the Air Ace comics is a decimal issue and the indicia says the publisher is not Fleetway but Ron Philips. No idea what's going on there.
I will cross your palm with the appropriate silver when I see you next. :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

abacus

Post by abacus »

I'm happy and content paying a pound per comic.
A few momths ago in Oxfam I bought some of those old illustrated classics which were remarkably cheap at 49p each plus some reprint comics at 99p each.

Last week they had some more illustrated classics but this time they were priced at around £7 each and they also had other comics such as the UK versions of Creepy tales type at around £4 each.I only found two comics at 99p one being an illustrated classics missing it's cover and one that I bought a US All Winners comic reprint.Although I liked some of the comics which included those UK US black/white reprints and KID COLT US colour comic I wasn't interested enough to go beyond paying a pound per comic.

Meanwhile at my wednesday charity shop visits (shhhhh! not Uk comics) I have picked up a 90's ORIGINAL DICK TRACY Chester Gould 40's colour reprint(and I can see why it became so popular) and Boris Karloff's Tales of mystery among others at a £1 each.I am buying comics each week but untill next years carboot I don't think I will find many UK comics.

As a collector I am always interested in comics that are different from the usual run of the mill type and in the £1boxes I found a christian comic which would have been an interesting find but the religious message content was so full-on that it put me off, if it had been more subtle in it's storyline I would have happily snapped it up.

Most of the comics I have bought of late have been great reads with excellent artwork .(which has increased my enthusiasm for comic buying)There was one exception called Video Jack which turned out to be part of a series and this particular comic I had difficulty following the storyline and even when some pages were without dialogue I had difficulty
deciphering what the artwork represented.No doubt it will appeal to some comic fans but I am a person of more simpler tastes and prefer less demanding reading. :)