Nursery rhyme and Folklore strips

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

matrix

Re: Nursery rhyme and Folklore strips

Post by matrix »

[quote="philcom55"]
...Oh, OK, I admit it! I don't know why but I keep getting the 1950s and 1960s mixed up! 8)

Well I think we are of similar vintage Phil, and for me also those decades now all stretch into one, I'm more concerned when I can't find my glasses or keys etc, scary!

Quote "Philcom55"
Incidentally, have you seen any issues of the current DC/Vertigo title Fables? To my mind this series (brilliantly drawn by British artist Mark Buckingham, who used to be a fellow member of the North Staffordshire Comics Society) does a wonderful job of bringing all those mythical characters into the modern world. A bit like TV's 'Once Upon A Time' but much better!

Thanks for the heads up, but no, have not even heard of it, do you have examples? What age group is that aimed at? To be honest I do not know a lot about recent material and was really surprised by a comment made on the "Are weekly comics doomed" thread that there hadn't been a nursery comic produced for years, it made me think how do they expect to keep comics going if the really young are not reading them :shock:
All that fantastic early material in nursery comics which I think you mentioned would not be out of place in a nursery comic today, I mean what parent and their three or four year old would not get taken in with 'Wink and Blink' the playful pups etc?

Who was that artwork by of the example you posted Phil?

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Fables is aimed at an older age range than the comics shown (it even has a tie-in novel, which - for once - actually has a point in existing*), but it keeps the characters in line with many of the fables, myths and short stories they are taken from.

I vaguely remember a magazine (late 80s) which covered the kinds of stories in this thread, with a free audio cassette each issue if memory serves - or possibly only on specials. I remember there being some amazing illustrations, and the names "Boris and Doris" strike a bell, for some reason...

There are days when I wish I could have kept everything.

*most tie-in novels being abysmal, and not written by the creators, are completely disposable. I know that there are a number of people who like those things, but most aren't literature by any stretch of the imagination.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

matrix wrote:Who was that artwork by of the example you posted Phil?
Sadly there's no credit, though I'm inclined to agree with you that it looks like the work Gordon Hutchings was producing at that time.

- Phil R.

malcodd

Post by malcodd »

Hello

I managed to get many Playhours from 1960 - 1963 - where I extracted the Gulliver pages and scanned them

I have about 1.7 gig of these scans - let me know any you are missing

I also miss a few - including one week of the naughty joker in 1962

Malcolm Codd

matrix

Post by matrix »

Just giving this a bump as I had forgotten that I had asked for a Dudley D Watkins, Tom Thumb, example from the 'Beano'.
A nice example especially the panel with Tom and Tinkel holding the mouth of Bubbly open for Nosey to give him his medicine!
The scans from Feb 1947 so possibly an early signature?
Attachments
Scan_20170228.jpg
Scan_20170228.2.000.jpg