Date of Showboat Circus in Classics From The Comics #121

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

finisterre

Post by finisterre »

Hi All,

Just discovered this site after I came across Classics From The Comics for the first time with issue #121 (I Googled for further comic info). They obviously don't advertise enough if it took me 10 years to come across it!

I used to be a big reader of comics as a nipper in the mid-70s. Main things I used to read were Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Topper, Victor, Whizzer & Chip, Cor, Buster, Whoopee and a few others.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what year the just reprinted Showboat Circus is from? I know they hide the date in a panel in some of the strips, but I didn't see it in this. I wonder why they don't put the date for all strips in the little black oval where they say Classic Beano, Classic Dandy etc?

Cheers,

Fred.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Beezer 1970 Jan 10th Number 730
Missippi Mick who stole from the rich....with his acrobats skills...later reformed character and worked for the circus....
This is one of the comics with the story........though this may of been a reprint from an earlier Beezer!!

I like Classics because tabloid comics are very difficult to keep without tearing it......also folded over can cause this over time...also its hard to get a series of comics in order to follow the adventure....

I wish IPC brought out a Classics...... ... order.....

Lew Stringer

Re: Date of Showboat Circus in Classics From The Comics #121

Post by Lew Stringer »

finisterre wrote:Hi All,

I know they hide the date in a panel in some of the strips, but I didn't see it in this. I wonder why they don't put the date for all strips in the little black oval where they say Classic Beano, Classic Dandy etc?

Those dates you see in Classics were on the original publications. They started putting dates on pages in the early Seventies, perhaps to help the production dept. know which pages belonged to which comic?

Until fairly recently, those dates were removed from the Classics reprints but now they seem to keep them on. A welcome move in my opinion. After all, the readers already know it's a reprint comic so a tiny typeface showing the date isn't going to put them off.

In the case of things like Black Bob of course the dates aren't accurate because although for example a Black Bob strip might carry the date 12/8/71 that was added when it was reprinted in The Dandy in 1971, not when the strip was new.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/