Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
What Christmas Comics Have You Bought Recently? 

Well my Echo tells me that there's only 44 days to Christmas and as if to emphasise this, my first Xmas issue for this year has just come through the post:

The Autumn edition of Spaceship Away (Part 43).

I loved the cover.

Attachments:
Xmas2017-SpaceshipAway.jpg
Xmas2017-SpaceshipAway.jpg [ 286.8 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:29 pm
Profile YIM

bought this years Beano xmas special last week. spaceship away looks ok but not t £8.50 is it all conic strips inside besides dan dare or is it more of a magazine.i think its criminal 2000ad or someone doesn't publish a weekly dan dare strip.or maybe a weekly Dan Dare comic with other sci fi strips.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:21 pm

big bad bri wrote:
bought this years Beano xmas special last week. spaceship away looks ok but not t £8.50 is it all conic strips inside besides dan dare or is it more of a magazine.i think its criminal 2000ad or someone doesn't publish a weekly dan dare strip.or maybe a weekly Dan Dare comic with other sci fi strips.

Spaceship Away is mostly comic strips, with a few features to break them up. It's expensive because of the slick production values and the low print run, which means the unit cost is higher than if it had a print run of tens of thousands.

2000AD don't publish Dan Dare as it's owned by the Dan Dare Corporation, not them, but Titan currently have the licence to publish a monthly Dan Dare comic. Issue 2 came out last week.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

big bad bri wrote:
i think its criminal 2000ad or someone doesn't publish a weekly dan dare strip.or maybe a weekly Dan Dare comic with other sci fi strips.
Dan Dare was Pilot of the Future in 1950. He must surely be dead by now. :cry:

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Phoenix wrote:
big bad bri wrote:
i think its criminal 2000ad or someone doesn't publish a weekly dan dare strip.or maybe a weekly Dan Dare comic with other sci fi strips.
Dan Dare was Pilot of the Future in 1950. He must surely be dead by now. :cry:

But his stories were set around the turn of the century and later. Not forgetting the 10-year sleep he & the gang took going to Cryptos. So he definitely got plenty of fight left in him. :lol:

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:33 am
Profile YIM

...On the other hand, in the revived Eagle Pat Mills revealed that the original Dan had actually been a WW2 spitfire pilot who'd been presumed dead when he was accidentally transported into the future. The Mekon even found his gravestone dated 1950!

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 am

I personally liked that origin story and thought it fitted well into the Dan Dare mythos. It also explains why he had the attitude & mannerisms of a 1940/50s pilot.

What it doesn't explain was why everyone else in Spacefleet had a similar outlook. Perhaps the time trip created a virus that affected people's behaviour? ;)

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 am
Profile YIM

Maybe they just couldn't resist putting on a silly 'I say old chaps' accent whenever Dan was around and the poor sap never realized that they were mocking him - even when Al Digby joined in with his famous working class 'Ee by gum' routine! :)

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm

LOL! Brilliant explanation, Phil. :up:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile YIM

I pre-ordered this years Christmas issue of Beano from NewsStand . I should get that by Christmas (more likely by New Year) :lol:

I have also pre-ordered Faceache - the first 100 scrunges from Amazon. Also hope to get that by Christmas Eve.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:17 pm

I bought the Christmas copy of VIZ from my local WHSmiths yesterday.

Attachments:
Xmas2017-VIZ.jpg
Xmas2017-VIZ.jpg [ 297.7 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 pm
Profile YIM

Attachment:
Xmas2017-Beano.jpg
Xmas2017-Beano.jpg [ 287.65 KiB | Viewed 86 times ]
Last weekend, the Christmas Beano came through the post.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3