BLOWING MY OWN TRUMPET HERE...

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

...but I'm co-credited as writer on the comic feature in the new issue (125) of Star Trek Magazine. Most of the credit must go to Graham Bleathman, who wrote the main article, but I'm responsible for the box-out on the 'TV21 & Valiant' era. And some kudos to my GACCH co-producer Kim Stevens for helping me to par down my original 1500 word draft to the word limit of 500... ;-D

Originally posted by Shaqui on the old forum on 25/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

Well done Shaqui. I'll have a look at that. I'd be very interested in an article on the UK Star Trek strips. I remember the early ones in Joe 90 which in one panel had the Enterprise flying upside down IIRC and had Captain Kirk called Captain Kurt! This was just before it had appeared on UK tv I think so the writer & artist must have only had basic reference to go by.

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 25/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

Thanks Lew... :-D

I've got those issues, and recall the infamous 'Kurt' incident, but I don't recall the Enterprise upside-down. Landing on a planet, and not using the transporter for some issues, yes... ;-)

Originally posted by Shaqui on the old forum on 25/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

Ah, the memory cheats. I might be thinking of an article in a magazine or newspaper of the period which printed a photo of the Enterprise upside down. Sorry.

Old Forum Fella

hello lew, i know why that mistake with captain kirk came about, i know the artist harry f lindfield very well, a way back in 1969 when joe 90 was out on sale. i had been round at harry lindfield,s and i remember watching him at work and i asked him about star trek,and he gave me a few lessons on drawing a star trek strip,went over my drawing i had done,i asked him about his strip which i still have the original of star trek. and i think he went to a private showing of the tv star trek to make notes, so any mistakes was probaly made then. kind regards john britton.

Originally posted by John britton on the old forum on 25/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

I think that is a very interesting piece of British comics' history, John. I guess Harry, like most people, find research something that needs to be done as quickly and painlessly as possible. The incorrect spelling of Kirk's name is small potatoes really when you consider how accurate the rest of the then unusual concept and designs of Star Trek have been grasped.

Originally posted by Steve on the old forum on 25/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

i have and always will be a fan of lindfields and gerry haylock who i also knew,their art is what made my style of art.but i remember harry started doing tv adverts after dr who, haylock started doing more illustrations for other magazines and book jacket cover,s of just william. both fantastic artists.

Originally posted by John britton on the old forum on 25/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

Just picked up a copy of the latest Star Trek mag. That's a good feature by Graham Bleathman and Shaqui. (In fact it's a good issue all round for fans of the original Star Trek series).

Why have those UK strips never been collected in book form I wonder? Maybe most Trekkies aren't comic fans.

Old Forum Fella

I suspect the same copyright reasons that prevent most TV21 related material from being reprinted - Paramount would require their cut, as would the holders of the rights of the artwork (Express Newspapers and/or IPC, I think). Also, like Thunderbirds in TV21, youd be better off with a magazine, or the early spreads are going to have the middle disappear in the book gutter!

I also have to say that, despite the top notch artwork by Harry Lindfield, those first strips are a light year away from the feel of the series. It seemed that most of the 'Joe 90' ones involved the Enterprise being caught between two warring species, and are a little hackneyed.

I recently picked up a couple of volumes of the Gold Key reprints fom the library, and while I have fond memories of their appearances in the UK annuals, I was astonished at how bad they actually turned out to be... especially when compared to modern material by people like Peter David.

Originally posted by Shaqui on the old forum on 26/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

In defence of the Joe 90 Star Trek strip's fans (at the time of publication) we didn't know Star Trek was a TV series. It wasn't on uk TV for most of that comic's run. It was therefore easy to take the strip at face value. That and I was only eight years old then. That's my excuse anyway

Originally posted by Steve on the old forum on 26/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

thanks steve i worked for that comic in the late 60,s i was only about 14 when i was there and i loved it , i can still remember the staff working away ,doing the layouts and past ups,and putting those issues together,and maybe giving me a odd little drawing to do in a tv 21 annual, yep fond memories.

Originally posted by John britton on the old forum on 26/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

I deeply envy you that experience, John. What a great start for someone so young.

Originally posted by Steve on the old forum on 27/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

i can also remember meeting alf wallace and albert cosser of the comic wham, its was at a private function for a new kids comic ,where i was waited on with the rest of the staff of tv 21, they were passing this comic round the room, it was great.every thing in those days was done by hand, i was lucky enough to work with the best in the business.

Originally posted by John britton on the old forum on 27/1/2006