Launch of a new blog

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Richard S.

Re: Launch of a new blog

Post by Richard S. »

Just an update to your Leuchars piece...Ian Kennedy did the covers for the 1985-87 brochures as well.

I have just purchased the 85 version and I have see the 87 version. To be fair I've not seen the 86 version but it would seem odd if someone else had done that one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131625663825? ... EBIDX%3AIT
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Richard S. wrote:Just an update to your Leuchars piece...Ian Kennedy did the covers for the 1985-87 brochures as well.

I have just purchased the 85 version and I have see the 87 version. To be fair I've not seen the 86 version but it would seem odd if someone else had done that one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131625663825? ... EBIDX%3AIT
To be fair Richard, Ian had been involved with the Airshow for 30 years so there has to be a lot more to be shown. Unfortunately, it's almost guaranteed that any prints that were still held by RAF Leuchars have now probably gone through the shredder. :cry:

As an aside, I have found a new site that sholud be of interest to folks that have a large supply of doubles that they would prefer to exchange with fellow fans rather than bulk up Ebay's profit margin. I've done a wee article on Swapsies on the blog.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I am currently in the throws of creating a Comic Creator Spotlight article on Down The Tubes about Ron Smith. Some of you may have spotted that. :lol:

Just to whet your appetite, I have added a holding article onto my blog. These are not reject pictures, just ones that I am not using in the main article as if anyone could reject Ron Smith's work!

And I have no doubt that there could be a few more Ron Smith Rediscovered articles on their way...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And I have to say that I am loving this Ron Smith research project. It is throwing up nuggets of pure gold. And if anyone had told me a month ago that I would be writing an article about The Spy In The Sputnik, I would have found it difficult to believe.

But an article that mentions Ron Smith and has art by Ian Kennedy and Dave Gibbons can't be all bad can it?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Latest article is looking at the Easter Eggs in comics and how much reference there was to popular culture. Not one of my worst efforts, even if I say so myself. The article is called Do you see what I see?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Great post as always Col - though it's worth noting that Mills and Gibbons used 'You'll Never Walk Alone' to even greater effect at the end of their Ro-Busters spin-off about Charlie and the Terra-Meks!
Attachments
robust.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:Great post as always Col - though it's worth noting that Mills and Gibbons used 'You'll Never Walk Alone' to even greater effect at the end of their Ro-Busters spin-off about Charlie and the Terra-Meks!
I did say that there were loads more that folk could come up with. In fact, you could do an entire article on Mega City Block names and how they refer to people either in the comics profession or famous people. After all, who would fight for Rikki Fulton Block?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Can I just say a big thank you to Lew Stringer for reminding me that this weekend is the 40th anniversary of the launch of Bullet and Action? I hope you enjoy my take on them.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

For those of you that are expert in artist spotting, here is my latest article on Commando issue 1508 which is The Killing Skull. If you can confirm that I am right in thinking that the cover artist is Jordi Penalva, then I am ahead of the game! :-)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Right, you can all blame or congratulate Paw Broon for the latest article! It's about Micron Publications and I had been doing my best to give them a good stiff ignoring, but Paw wore me down and I had to get this article out of my system!

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

I had a read of both Micron posts, some interesting stuff. I was aware of Micron, after spending an extended time in hospital as a kid, and because I liked comics I got allsort's, Micron were one of the more obscure.
I recently bought a collection of Libraries, mainly to get some Fleetway Super Libraries, but there were a lot of other odds and ends, mostly Micron. Nice to see some more background information.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The latest post is up and it is a retro one. So that should put a smile on Derek's face! :lol:

It is a look at the 1935 Skipper annual

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I just wrote this reply on another forum so I might as well post it here as well. :)

Very Nice Colin. Presumably 'Sambo Black' was named after the famous children's book 'Little Black Sambo' by Helen Bannerman which was still hugely popular when I was at school in the early 1960s (and remains beloved by Japanese children). While it is generally considered to be unacceptable today the depiction of the titular hero was almost wholly positive - surprisingly so for the period in which it was written.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And here is the starterto the monster slog of going through all 627 issues of Warlord!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:And here is the starterto the monster slog of going through all 627 issues of Warlord!
Nice article, Colin! Good to put names to some artists I didn’t know.
I wasn’t a fan of war comics but Warlord’s importance in being a leader of a tougher, more dynamic breed of boys’ comic can’t be understated. However, it wasn’t the first UK comic based on one genre. Scorcher, for one, beat it to that in 1970 with its all-football theme.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/