Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Imagine if there were only two big buyers and one bought an item. If the same item came up again, there wouldn't be the competition between the two buyers to increase the price
But imagine if there were three or four, or even half a dozen.
I'm sorry, you said "I really don't see" so I was trying to help. It doesn't help imagining other scenarios. I obviously haven't helped you, so I'll leave it there.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Koollectablz's point was that once one person from a very small pool of people actually willing to pay that amount buys a copy, the price drops accordingly. I argue that the price of any one, or indeed all, of the few copies available would go up because due to the sale implied by Koollectablz there would then be one copy fewer of the few available for sale. It would be even more of a seller's market.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Funnily enough I just bought the original printing of that story for 50p! :)

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Phoenix wrote:Koollectablz's point was that once one person from a very small pool of people actually willing to pay that amount buys a copy, the price drops accordingly. I argue that the price of any one, or indeed all, of the few copies available would go up because due to the sale implied by Koollectablz there would then be one copy fewer of the few available for sale. It would be even more of a seller's market.
As I mentioned previously YMMV, as everyone has been keen to point out - I deal in the market, you just collect. If I don't particularly want something just for myself I'll be very careful what I buy and how much I pay because I want to make a profit to fund my other collecting.

I've seen it happen with the Rupert Bear pool of collectors, I've seen it happen with the Dr Who pool of collectors. And yes I'm talking about high end, high value items. I personally think over the next 5-10 years the high end DC Thomson collectors will see a big drop in values. Particularly for items like the Dandy that are not published anymore.

There's always a high water mark for any collectable. As Mr Eterno points out if you try and sell the same item just after one has achieved a record price then you'll invariably achieve less for it. There are exceptions that prove the rule but it holds true enough for me to be careful not to list something directly after, say Phil, has achieved a market high for something.

Tbh I think it's really good fun and makes collecting and selling a great pastime. Some you win and some you lose.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Yep the Dandy books are much cheaper nowadays as you can pick up a 50s annual for as little as £20 whereas 15 years ago you'd need to pay an extra 100 notes for the same book and it will be only a matter of time before the bottom falls out for the 40s annuals

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Funnily enough I just bought the original printing of that story for 50p! :)
Maybe you can offer it to him for £20? :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate, Steve, tells me someone is selling a few loose pages from a Topper for £3. I haven't seen it myself.

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

Morning all

First time poster long time reader :wink:

this can't be right surely????
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battle-Pictur ... Sww5hZEi4h

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

CharleyBourne wrote:Morning all

First time poster long time reader :wink:

this can't be right surely????
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battle-Pictur ... Sww5hZEi4h
Morning Charley!

The Ezquerra signature looks real but I think the seller is a wee bit deluded! He's even loaded the listing under US comics post 1984! You can buy the whole year of Battle 1977 for £25-£30.

I admire his front though!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

You admire his front? ooer! You might want to reword that. It reminds me of a line from the goons:

Ah, you're back

No its my front.

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

Yeah that's what I thought.

its not in the best of condition and not sure I would take a flyer from an event as a proof of signature?

Also are we sure that this is the first Dredd appearance?

I know he didn't show in the first issue as the either art of story not ready in time hence Dan Dare is the lead at the start of the comic run but surely he would have been used to advertised the new comic?

Also how much does a signed copy of 2000AD prog 2 go for? I would class this more as a first appearance.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Also, the same cameo appearance of Judge Dredd can be found in 2000AD #1.

CharleyBourne

Post by CharleyBourne »

philcom55 wrote:Also, the same cameo appearance of Judge Dredd can be found in 2000AD #1.
Thought so was going to check when I got home. That would have been the earliest then being in print the week before?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

CharleyBourne wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Also, the same cameo appearance of Judge Dredd can be found in 2000AD #1.
Thought so was going to check when I got home. That would have been the earliest then being in print the week before?
You can get original art cheaper than that! Does this mean that the issue 1 of Battle that I got signed by Pat Mills and John Wagner at Glasgow Comic Con is worth even more?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!