Ebay - you want how much for it???

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Ebay - you want how much for it???

Post by Phoenix »

I've just managed to contact my Wirral friend, who has been sunning himself in his back garden. The issue of The Skipper in question is 438 (21 1 1939), and he agrees with me that he has been keeping an eye on it for a couple of years at least. Apparently H&Z did reduce it on a couple of occasions to £125 in order to winkle out a bidder, but none surfaced so they soon put it back up again. The buyer would also have to add £1.65 p&p by the way. You would think that they might take notice of the prices that other dealers are asking. For example one dealer is offering four issues in nice condition of The Wizard from 1932 with a starting bid of £5 - no bids so far, and there's another advert for four issues of The Rover between 1938 and 1944 for £4.99, again no bids yet. We think you could get the H&Z issue of The Skipper from Border Bookshop for £8, but that's before she gives you a discount, so I imagine a deal could be struck at about £5, but for that sort of discount you would probably be buying a reasonable number of other items. However, if you were to buy the full year at H&Z's rates it would cost you about £7800. Regarding anybody actually paying that asking price, Robin and Barry Dransfield memorably sang an appropriate comment to them on their The Rout Of The Blues album - Who's The Fool Now?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Not a UK comic but loaded under the heading. Not really surprising that it hasn't raised a bid!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTION-COMIC- ... Swv9FXg3Yq

Also very ambitious: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-WEE ... SwepJXcUV2

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I know comics cost more in the US but if this sells, I'm taking mine out there!]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000AD-PROG-2-3 ... Sw~1FUYV66

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Not eBay but my mate Steve tells me 30th century comics are selling iron man 55 for over £900. First appearance of Thanos.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Not eBay but my mate Steve tells me 30th century comics are selling iron man 55 for over £900. First appearance of Thanos.
Funny you mention them as I spent an hour yesterday going through their catalogue after a few bits and bobs that I need and while most of their general comics are at an understandable price, some are way out on current values, some by x3 on Ebay prices! I ended up buying most of what I needed on other sites and shops but they'll still be getting some of my cash.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I paid 6p for my copy when it was published.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:£3k+ for Jinty comics!? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jinty-comics- ... SwdzVXmKmI
plus postage aint free if you cant collect.i think they will be sitting on these for years :lol:

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Yes, I saw those Jinty comics and thought 'not likely!'
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

babington

Post by babington »

I've always thought 30th Century's prices are pretty reasonable. They have Bullet #1 and #2 with the free gifts on at the moment for £40/£35 which is cheaper than they sold at a recent Phil Comics auction on eBay (I'd buy 'em but I ran out of money for this month). Occasionally the American comics can be a bit pricey, but most follow the Overstreet guide or current market prices. You also know what the grade will be, which can be a bit of a lucky dip when buying on eBay (with some obvious exceptions).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

babington wrote:I've always thought 30th Century's prices are pretty reasonable. They have Bullet #1 and #2 with the free gifts on at the moment for £40/£35 which is cheaper than they sold at a recent Phil Comics auction on eBay (I'd buy 'em but I ran out of money for this month). Occasionally the American comics can be a bit pricey, but most follow the Overstreet guide or current market prices. You also know what the grade will be, which can be a bit of a lucky dip when buying on eBay (with some obvious exceptions).
You can't be right all of the time and they do seem to have most of their comics at a pretty understandable level but I wouldn't use Phil as a comparison as he achieves some very high prices sometimes. That is a good price for Bullet #1 but I won #2 with gift only in April for £21.

Depending on what grade you're after, I have realised that only Fine or better are the quality I would buy from 30th Century whereby I'd go VG most other places.

You have made me look at filling the spaces in my Bullet collection now though!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Some people just can't help being optimistic, can they? This lot of 240 annuals is significantly over and above what I would pay for them.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

To me, this is quite expensive as well---great book, but 100 quid?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beano-Annual- ... 1959697036

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Saw it at a boot sale for £1 last week! :shock:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

To be fair near mint/mint condition late 60s Beano annuals can get £100+, also early 70s.

This is no where near mint, it has quite bad spine damage, and is disengenuous for the seller to even describe it as anything near mint.