Beano book 1982 inside cover name the celebrities

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

judomole

Beano book 1982 inside cover name the celebrities

Post by judomole »

In the Beano Book of 1982 inside front and back cover there is an advert for the Bash street Kids Annual featuring many celebrities can anyone tell me who the two female celebrities are meant to be :?:
The males are left to right (front cover:) Ronnie Barker Ronnie Corbett Henry Cooper and Bruce Forsyth (back cover:) Ken Dodd John Cleese and Jimmy Tarbuck but I don't recognise the Women

http://www.bookloveroxford.co.uk/sites/ ... 57_427.jpg
http://www.bookloveroxford.co.uk/sites/ ... -12_64.jpg
http://www.bookloveroxford.co.uk/sites/ ... 41_730.jpg
Last edited by judomole on 19 Aug 2015, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Re: Beano book 1982 inside cover name the celebrities

Post by Peter Gray »

Zola Budd at first thought But shes wearing running shoes so I'm wrong...
Kate Bush the other one I think..

judomole

Post by judomole »

Peter Gray wrote:Zola Budd at first thought But shes wearing running shoes so I'm wrong...
Kate Bush the other one I think..
wow really :o I would not have got either of them if your right
I would have thought Budd was relatively unknown until the LA Olympics in 1984 some two years later
but at least you come up with two names thats more that I could

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've got Zola Budd wrong...so look up woman runners in the late 70's that fit that face...
I'm sure the second one is Kate Bush..

judomole

Post by judomole »

[quote="Peter Gray"]I've got Zola Budd wrong...so look up woman runners in the late 70's that fit that face...
I'm sure the second one is Kate Bush.

Yes tried that and could not find any that seemed to match for both women
The closest I came for the first one was Anthea Turner :) but why she is running and again wrong era the only other thought was Anneka Rice :oops: so at this point I gave up a asked for help

As for Kate Bush I don't say you are wrong but I'm a big fan of her music and have most of her albums and I did not recognise her from this drawing

What we need is some with inside connections at DC Thomson so they can say who they are meant to be
but once again Peter many thanks for your input

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Peter Gray wrote:I've got Zola Budd wrong...so look up woman runners in the late 70's that fit that face...
I don't think the mystery lady is necessarily a runner, Peter. More or less all the characters in the picture are running. She may not even be an athlete. Kate Bush wasn't. I think it could be Olivia Newton-John.

judomole

Post by judomole »

Phoenix wrote:
Peter Gray wrote:I've got Zola Budd wrong...so look up woman runners in the late 70's that fit that face...
I don't think the mystery lady is necessarily a runner, Peter. More or less all the characters in the picture are running. She may not even be an athlete. Kate Bush wasn't. I think it could be Olivia Newton-John.
i belive he is saying this one is kate

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

judomole wrote:i belive he is saying this one is kate
So am I. It's the other one that I think is Olivia Newton-John. Apologies for any confusion, judomole.

judomole

Post by judomole »

So am I. It's the other one that I think is Olivia Newton-John. Apologies for any confusion, judomole.

my mistake phoenix so no apologies necessary :wink:
also my wife thinks that it is the Blue Peter Presenters Lesley Judd and Valerie Singleton but I still think the running outfit and medal are clues to the first female celebrity

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I think the dark haired girl might be Sally James from Tiswas which was still on our screens at the time.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The other 'athletic' girl looks more like Sue Barker than anyone but I would tend to think that the athletics outfit and the medal around her neck must be significant which would then rule Sue Barker out.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The only British female athlete of any note in the early eighties that I can remember is Donna Hartley, who did win an Olympic medal, and the main reason I remember her is because she used to live in the Lancashire town of Burscough, where I had bought my first house.

judomole

Post by judomole »

Kashgar wrote:I think the dark haired girl might be Sally James from Tiswas which was still on our screens at the time.
i think you may be on to something kashgar
As for the athlete I think it's significant because Henry Cooper is in his work clothes so to speak and is her medal a bronze :?:
I also now feel a little vindicated for not recognising them as no one has said two names the same :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The late Donna Hartley certainly was a blonde so maybe she would fit. Either Dave Sutherland hasn't caricatured these two ladies very well or else it says something about the fleeting nature of fame. Or both.