British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ramirez

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by ramirez »

It was from Hornet. I managed to find a small reference of it in the Hornet index (Brigas the Briton from issue 417) and it was indeed a one-off story. And the football strip of course is "Carr Street United" like you mentioned Chris. Thanks a lot for your help. New inquiries soon... :up:

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

OK, I need confirmation that this is the "Philip Driver" strip from Tiger. The main character is named so, but I want to make sure. Confirmation of the artist (Kerr?) would be nice too.

Another strip 's title I 'm looking for is this one, called "Jinx" in greek. The main character is a photo reporter named Jackson that brings bad luck to every event he is assigned to cover.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:OK, I need confirmation that this is the "Philip Driver" strip from Tiger. The main character is named so, but I want to make sure. Confirmation of the artist (Kerr?) would be nice too.
I would say that it looks like the artist is Sandy James.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

That is "Philip Driver" from Tiger and the artist looks like David Sque.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

chrisb wrote:That is "Philip Driver" from Tiger and the artist looks like David Sque.
It is indeed.

As for the other strip, I think it's Jinx Jackson from Action (1977).
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

A big thank you to everyone for your tremendous help.

A quick one. There was a funny war strip called "Jonah Jones" or something sounding like it, where the soldier by the same name gets everyone in trouble with his goofs but it works all right in the end. At least one episode was drawn by Terry Patrick. Do you have any idea where it came from, because I couldn 't find anything in the victor-hornet index...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:A big thank you to everyone for your tremendous help.

A quick one. There was a funny war strip called "Jonah Jones" or something sounding like it, where the soldier by the same name gets everyone in trouble with his goofs but it works all right in the end. At least one episode was drawn by Terry Patrick. Do you have any idea where it came from, because I couldn 't find anything in the victor-hornet index...
Is this war strip set in WWII and mainly either in the Africa campaigns or the Italian campaigns? If it is, then it sounds like a Warlord story. If you can get us a scan of a page, I will see if I can narrow it down to an issue for you.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I think your right col, it does sound like "Jonah Jones" from Warlord.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

The confirmation of the title and its origin was all I needed lads. Thanks again for a swift reply.

Another quickie. The greek title of this strip is "The flying bicycle" and the first episodes were drawn by Bill Lacey. It 's about a poor boy that enters a rich boys school, and for helping out a old man (that turns out to be an inventor) he transforms his old bike to a flying motorcycle of some sort. A Tiger story maybe? Any help identifying it would be appreciated. If necessary I 'll add a scan or two. :cheers:

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Two pages from the story I mentioned are here...

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I thought I should include another sample from that "Flying bicycle" story in case someone recognizes its origin. It 's from a later episode, not by Bill Lacey, and the main character 's name is Bobby Baines I believe (I hope I 'm writing it correctly). You can view those pages here.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the artist of this "20000 leagues under the sea" strip. It 's a rather short adaptation, only 22 pages, and there are no speech bubbles. Any ideas?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The 20.000 Leagues Under The Sea adaptation was drawn by Bill Baker for Look & Learn. You can see the original version here:
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogsp ... rt-24.html

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:The 20.000 Leagues Under The Sea adaptation was drawn by Bill Baker for Look & Learn. You can see the original version here:
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogsp ... rt-24.html
It was also reprinted in the 1981 Lion Annual.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Awesome. Thank you both for the info. One more try to identify a strip and I 'll have a few days intermission.

The greek title of this strip is "The beetles that kill". Short one-off story, 8 pages long. Two artists were involved, the second one is the artist of "Mike 's mini-men". I just need the original title if possible and the magazine it was published.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Back with a new quest (well, two actually). The first is called "The super ghost", it 's an 8 pages one-off story and I 'd appreciate any info about it.

The second one is titled "Wild 's pests" in greek but I 'm assuming there is a pun there (very common in comics) and the actual title could be "Wylde pests" or perhaps even "Wylde boys". This strip is also an 8 pages one-off story starring the four Wild (or Wylde) boys, sons of professor Maurice Wild (or Wylde) and some spies that attempt to steal army secrets.

These one-off stories were probably printed in annuals or special editions, just like several others I 've tracked down, and that 's why it 's much more difficult to pin down their origin...