British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by philcom55 »

...I wish my Greek was one hundredth as good as your English Ion! :)

Ion

Post by Ion »

I'm back with the 3rd round of our quiz! :) So far you guys have helped me a lot, having given me titles for the 4 out of the 6 comics I've uploaded.

3 more scanned pages for tonight! I don't have much hope for the 1st one, as I have only spotted it once in the greek magazine Vavoura, so probably it wasn't popular and didn't give too many stories. That was a 2-page story, and its format make me think that it was published in some Annual.

The other 2 stories weren't that popular either. Irmantas from Kazoop believes that the artist of the second story is Robert Nixon. I consider Nixon to be one of my favourite Fleetway comics illustrators, but I can't recognise his art in this one so I'd like to have some more confirmations. And a title of course if it's possible :)

29a.jpg
112.jpg
12a.jpg

Raven

Post by Raven »

The first one's artist is Cliff Brown.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

The last one is "The Snobs and the Scruffs", published in Jinty. I have never known the artist of this strip, so if others can confirm, then that will be new knowledge for me too!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Old Freddy

Post by Old Freddy »

At a guess, I'd say that the artist of the third strip may be either Paul Ailey or possibly Tom Williams. The second strip is definitely drawn by Rob Lee (Cannonball Kid, Kid Kong) whose style is similar to Robert Nixon's but noticeably scratchier, but unfortunately I don't recognise the actual characters.
Last update to http://comiccentral.jimdo.com: 7/4/2011

Sammy Shrink, Korky, Dennis and the Dandy all updated
Beryl the Peril Page Added
Navigation altered

Raven

Post by Raven »

I also thought the second was Rob Lee, who tended to draw in a style similar to whoever's strip he took over, be it Reg Parlett or Robert Nixon.

The third artist seems to have been asked to draw in a Mike Lacey style (with a touch of Graham Allen!), though the work has much less finesse in this example. Is it Paul Ailey asked to "ghost" Mike Lacey? I'm not too sure.

Ion

Post by Ion »

I got some really nice replies again! Thank you for sharing your information with me. :)

@Raven: That's definitely Cliff Brown, you are right. I have seen his artwork in some quiz pages, and I wonder if the story I upoloaded was also part of the quiz section of a magazine, or a series of comics (in this 2-page story, for example, the professor asks the readers to spot 7 hidden birds).

@comixminx: perfect hit for the "snobbs and the scruffs". And a very nice article about it at the link you gave!

@Old Freddy: having mentioned Rob Lee, and googling it with any possible version of the name Ivy (I thought at the beginning that the name would be Eve), I found at Buster page that the name of the second strip is "Clinging Ivy".

Tomorrow I'll upload the next 3 pages! I hope you are not getting bored already :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Ion wrote: @Raven: That's definitely Cliff Brown, you are right. I have seen his artwork in some quiz pages, and I wonder if the story I upoloaded was also part of the quiz section of a magazine, or a series of comics (in this 2-page story, for example, the professor asks the readers to spot 7 hidden birds).
I wondered for a moment if it might be from Junior Quizzer, though that was published by Byblos (using some Fleetway talent and styles).

It's probably a one-off from a Fleetway annual or holiday special.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Ion wrote:I got some really nice replies again! Thank you for sharing your information with me. :)

@Raven: That's definitely Cliff Brown, you are right. I have seen his artwork in some quiz pages, and I wonder if the story I upoloaded was also part of the quiz section of a magazine, or a series of comics (in this 2-page story, for example, the professor asks the readers to spot 7 hidden birds).

@comixminx: perfect hit for the "snobbs and the scruffs". And a very nice article about it at the link you gave!

@Old Freddy: having mentioned Rob Lee, and googling it with any possible version of the name Ivy (I thought at the beginning that the name would be Eve), I found at Buster page that the name of the second strip is "Clinging Ivy".

Tomorrow I'll upload the next 3 pages! I hope you are not getting bored already :)
Glad you enjoyed the article about 'the Snobs and the Scruffs'! It was written by my blog co-writer who is also on this site as Tammyfan.

Can you please tell me what Greek magazines Alley Cat and The Snobs and the Scruffs were reprinted in, with a transliteration of their Greek titles? I would like to maintain my page about Translations of stories from Jinty.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Ion

Post by Ion »

comixminx wrote:Glad you enjoyed the article about 'the Snobs and the Scruffs'! It was written by my blog co-writer who is also on this site as Tammyfan.

Can you please tell me what Greek magazines Alley Cat and The Snobs and the Scruffs were reprinted in, with a transliteration of their Greek titles? I would like to maintain my page about Translations of stories from Jinty.
Both comic strips were reprinted in the greek magazine ΒΑΒΟΥΡΑ (βαβούρα). Vavoura ran for 327 issues from June 15 1981 until the August of 1989, when the Publisher changed. From next week started the second series of Vavoura (it started from number # 1 again), which gave 424 more issues.

Alley Cat was published for the first time in issue # 84 on December 1st 1984. The greek name was ΚΕΡΑΜΙΔΟΓΑΤΑ (κεραμιδόγατα), which more or less means "the cat on the roof tiles". I have only logged the first 120 issues of the first series of the magazine, and except for the story of issue # 84 (which probably comes from some annual), alley cat didn't make any other appearances.

The Snobs and the Scruffs appeared for the first time in issue # 12 of Vavoura (December 1st 1981), having the title "ΑΡΙΣΤΟΚΡΑΤΙΣΣΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΧΑΜΙΝΙΑ" (αριστοκράτισσες και χαμίνια). A translation of that could be "Aristocrats and Gamins". It was published again in issue # 61, having a completely different title "ΨΗΛΟΜΥΤΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΠΕΝΤΑΡΕΣ" (ψηλομύτες και απένταρες). A translation for the latter is "The Snobs and the Penniless". It was very common for a strip to be issued one week with a certain title, and in a next issue with a completely different one.

Ion

Post by Ion »

Three more pages from the greek magazine Vavoura. Any ideas?
1a.jpg
96.jpg
97.jpg

Raven

Post by Raven »

I think the first one is drawn by David Sell, who also drew the second set of the first three you posted.

The second is Copy Kate from Knockout.

blaing

Post by blaing »

the third one was Dick Doobie, the Back-to-front man, that briefly appeared in Whoopee! around 1978, drawn by Gremlins artist, Steve Bell.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

I 'm going to hijack this thread for a while, I know my friend Ion won 't mind. You see, I 'm in the middle of creating a small index regarding the adventure stories that were publishing in the Agori (Boy) weekly anthology. My goal is entering the original English title along with the creators of each story and, if possible, the English comic where it was first published. So my questions are these...

Ag01.jpg
Name, creators and original magazine.

Ag02.jpg
I know this is Mike Western. Name of the story, writer (if known) and original magazine.

Ag03.jpg
Name, creators and original magazine.

Thanks in advance for your help. I 'll be back for more... :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

ramirez wrote:
Ag02.jpg
I know this is Mike Western. Name of the story, writer (if known) and original magazine.
Whiz-Along Wheeler from Valiant, 1975. But is it Mike White "ghosting" Mike Western?

(EDIT for inaccuracy)
Last edited by Raven on 15 Sep 2015, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.