British comics in Greek magazines

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: British comics in Greek magazines

Post by philcom55 »

'Super Ghost' was originally called 'Super Spook'. Oddly enough he never starred in a weekly comic, appearing exclusively in the Cor! Annuals for 1975, 1976 and 1978 (yours is from the second of those). I'm not sure who drew the first two stories but the last was by Ron Turner.
Attachments
Super_Spook_1975_COR_Annual_010.jpg

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Thank you again Phil. I appreciate your help.

A quick and easy one (I hope). There was a funny strip named "Harry Handsome" I believe, about a boxer with that name who was, well, handsome. At least one episode was drawn by Robert MacGillivray (maybe the whole series, I don 't know). Does anyone know which magazine it came from?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:'Super Ghost' was originally called 'Super Spook'. Oddly enough he never starred in a weekly comic, appearing exclusively in the Cor! Annuals for 1975, 1976 and 1978 (yours is from the second of those). I'm not sure who drew the first two stories but the last was by Ron Turner.
That's a strange looking one. Looks very 1950s even though it it was presumably drawn especially for the Cor!! Annual in the seventies. (I never had the Cor!! annuals so I've never seen this before.)

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Two more strips, most likely from annuals, since they 're both 8 page one-off stories.

The first one is called "On the trail of the invisible man" where a crook, dressed like the man from the classic b&w film, blackmails some scientists in order to create an atomic bomb.

The other one is called "Ghost hunter", a story of a tv reporter that exposes supposedly haunted sites, but finally getting himself in a mansion with real ghosts.

Any info about them will be welcomed...

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

'On the Trail of the Invisible Man' is a John Brody story that first appeared as a serial in Boys' World in 1964 (though it could well have been reprinted in an annual sometime later). It was drawn by Brian Lewis and written by Derek Long.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Thank you once more Phil. You 've helped a lot with the strip identification, and although the index won 't be at 100%, it wil cover about 90-95% of the material that was printed.

A couple more stories are next. I know I 've seen the first one before but I can 't tell where. Could that be a Geoff Jones strip?

The second one is a one-off called "Watermonkey" and the art style kinda reminds me of Luis Bermejo and the "Missing link".

The third one is a one-off western strip called "A stranger in town". I understand it will be difficult to pin point its origin, but even the name of the artist would be helpful. Thanks again for all your help...

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

at last! One that I can do!

The artist on "the stranger in town" is legendary western artist Frank Humphries - he drew 'Riders of the Range' for the original Eagle and then 'Blackbow the Cheyenne' as well for Eagle. This looks more like Blackbow than Riders but I'd need to have more of a think.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

ramirez wrote:Thank you once more Phil. You 've helped a lot with the strip identification, and although the index won 't be at 100%, it wil cover about 90-95% of the material that was printed.

A couple more stories are next. I know I 've seen the first one before but I can't tell where. Could that be a Geoff Jones strip?
Yes, that is Geoff Jones' artwork but I am beggared if I can tell you where it is from. On a slightly different tack, I have founnd some work by Geoff Jones in one of the Action annuals!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Everything we manage to discover is a bonus, so thanks again to both forum friends.

Two football strips are next. The first one is called "Cannonball Crane" in greek, not sure if that is its original title as well. Crane is essentially blackmailed into working as a spy by the secret service, executing supporting missions at the places and countries he plays with his team.

The second one is called "The hero of the day", where old school Scraffly Lane (if I 'm writing it correctly) is to be demolished unless its students prove themselves by winning a cup against local rivals. The vice principal wants the school in rubbles, but Ginger and the other pupils won 't have any of that.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

ramirez wrote:Everything we manage to discover is a bonus, so thanks again to both forum friends.

Two football strips are next. The first one is called "Cannonball Crane" in greek, not sure if that is its original title as well. Crane is essentially blackmailed into working as a spy by the secret service, executing supporting missions at the places and countries he plays with his team.

The second one is called "The hero of the day", where old school Scraffly Lane (if I 'm writing it correctly) is to be demolished unless its students prove themselves by winning a cup against local rivals. The vice principal wants the school in rubbles, but Ginger and the other pupils won 't have any of that.
'Cannonball Crane' was originally 'Cracker Craine' and appeared in Buster 1967/1968. It was drawn by Tony Harding.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Not sure where 'Hero of the Day' appeared but the artist looks like Selby Donnison

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Again I must state how much I appreciate the help I 'm getting from all of you.

To continue our quest, I read this story drawn by Solano Lopez about a football team that compiled of members of their circus (Samson 's circus) and the players were a short fat guy named Willy Farson (or something sounding like it), a russian strong guy nicknamed Hercules, a strech acrobat guy named Benty Benson etc. I don 't know if there was a whole series drawn by Lopez, does anyone know its title? In greek it was named "Circolanos", which pretty much meant "Circus acts".

Another strip I read was called "King of football", about the young king of "Moravia" named Rudy Ranzberg (if I 'm writing that correctly) who loved playing football, along with a Bert Lacy who played for Villa. Again the title of the strip and magazine of origin would be welcomed. I ' ll post a scan if there 's no luck identifying it...

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Both strips came from Scorcher. You are correct about the "King of Football" title but the first one is called "The Roly-Poly Rovers". I don't have the first episode of this strip so I don't know if Solano Lopez drew it or not but as far as I'm aware Julio Schiaffino drew the majority of it.

ramirez

Post by ramirez »

Thank you once again Chris. I always try searching for any info on the web when I suspect which strip a story could be, but there are not that many images for not well known strips, like the Roly-Poly Rovers in our case.

A quick one. There was a funny strip in Wizard magazine of 1976-1977 probably called "Officer Logan" or perhaps "Ranger Logan", where Logan was a police officer in gold-digging era Clondike and was given special abilities by an Indian shaman. At least one episode was drawn by Philpott, but I 'm not certain who the main artist was (C.D. Bagnall maybe?). Does anyone know?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ramirez wrote:There was a funny strip in Wizard magazine of 1976-1977 probably called "Officer Logan" or perhaps "Ranger Logan"
It was called Lawman Logan. The basic, and totally serious, source for the character was Sergeant Ben 'Lionheart' Logan whose original stories appeared in text form in The Wizard between 1933 and 1954. He worked out of Placer Bar in the Yukon, and had several assistants over the years.