Fanzine Archive Launched

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: Fanzine Archive Launched

Post by paw broon »

Yes you can. There's a link at the bottom of each fanzine which when clicked will take you to a .pdf file.
To get there, there is a dropdown menu from which you select the 'zine you want. Click the 'zine. When it appears, go to the bottom of the page and find the link.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

All I can see are the covers cannot see any link below the cover image. There is just a gallery of all the other covers.

David Hathaway-Price

Post by David Hathaway-Price »

Check under the covers for the words ... (for example) 'GRAPHIC SENSE AVAILABLE PDF FILES' and click to load the issue highlighted. More pdf files are being added all the time, but it's going to take a while to get everything up :)

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/ ... sense.html

David Hathaway-Price

I think you guys might like this one; interviews with Alan Moore and Steve Dillon :D

Arken Sward 11

http://www.weebly.com/editor/main.php

David Hathaway-Price

That would be "Sword" of course... I really must get some sleep.

David Hathaway-Price

Today's update.

COMIXINE #6 (Incorporating The Comic Review) - 1981
By Howard Stangroom (Co-Ed: Maureen James)

David Hathaway-Price

More zines uploaded, including 'Cygnus Alpha'.

Just a reminder that there is a 'Spotlight' page on the archive site, where I'm hoping to encourage people who were involved with fandom, to reminisce about the movement as a whole, and to talk about their personal history and experience.

If you fancy a platform for sharing your own memories, it would be lovely to hear what you have to say about that time. I won't edit your work, but I may be able to help out with example images. Please let me know if you're interested.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

David Hathaway-Price wrote:Today's update.

COMIXINE #6 (Incorporating The Comic Review) - 1981
By Howard Stangroom (Co-Ed: Maureen James)
Howard Stangroom changed his name some years ago and is now Will Morgan. He works at 30th Century Comics in Putney.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

David Hathaway-Price

Yep, managed to meet Will for the first time, at a recent London Mart - A lovely fella.

Today's upload:

HELLFIRE #3
By David and Paul Roach - 1983
Cover by David Roach

It was a real shame that there were only 4 issues of this zine. In the short time it was published, it became very well respected. It's also a shame that this is the only issue I have (Kindly supplied by David himself), but I'll keep searching for the others.
I remember that Sean Roberts and I were very jealous of the high quality dot matrix printer the guys were using, while we struggled on with a typewriter. It was lovely to get a shout-out in the editorial though.

There's a great interview with Dave here, from the Judgement exhibition, in Cardiff: http://www.judgementincardiff.info/inte ... ch-part-1/

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes indeed, and I've just this minute spoken to him on the 'phone at 30th Century Comics having ordered some Thriller Picture Libraries. I will get those next 3 issues of aka to you as soon as my Mediafire page stops acting up.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

the only one of those i remember was Speakeasy i remember buying that in eternal comics. i thought it was great at the time and remember thinking why wasnt there any other fanzines about comics as i also used to buy about 4 diff tottenham hotspur fanzines,now i know different :lol:

David Hathaway-Price

Thanks, Paw :)
There were loads of them, big bad bri, some better than others, but all worth tracking down.

Today's update:

Is this an example of the 'perfect' fanzine?
FA #94
Martin Skidmore - 1985/6
Cover by: John Ridgway

Interviews with Dave Sim and Marv Wolfman, a lively letters column, news and reviews, and Alan Moore explaining how to write comics. The series of Moore's 'How to's' would be collected some 15 years later in a book published by Avatar Press (Alan Moore's Writing for Comics - 2003) where Moore updates his advice and tells the reader to ignore some of the stuff he said earlier.
A really great zine, this.

Link to issue, located under the collection of covers:
classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/fantasy-advertiser.html

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

David Hathaway-Price wrote:Thanks, Paw :)
There were loads of them, big bad bri, some better than others, but all worth tracking down.

Today's update:

Is this an example of the 'perfect' fanzine?
FA #94
Martin Skidmore - 1985/6
Cover by: John Ridgway

Interviews with Dave Sim and Marv Wolfman, a lively letters column, news and reviews, and Alan Moore explaining how to write comics. The series of Moore's 'How to's' would be collected some 15 years later in a book published by Avatar Press (Alan Moore's Writing for Comics - 2003) where Moore updates his advice and tells the reader to ignore some of the stuff he said earlier.
A really great zine, this.

Link to issue, located under the collection of covers:
classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/fantasy-advertiser.html
Skidmore knew his stuff. Sadly he died a few years ago now.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

David Hathaway-Price

Today's upload:

THE PANELOLOGIST #1 - 1975
Published by George Barnett

Influential and well respected News zine
May thanks to Peter for permission to archive these issues.

David Hathaway-Price

Today's upload:

THE PANELOLOGIST #3 - 1975
Published by George Barnett
More news from 1975, were you a 'Marvelite'

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/ ... ogist.html