Fanzine Archive Launched

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

David Hathaway-Price

Re: Fanzine Archive Launched

Post by David Hathaway-Price »

The zine archive site has been going for about four months now. It seems to be building nicely in terms of hits, people seem to like it, and I'm able to upload the 'new' issues fairly regularly.
The thing is; I have the patience needed to scan, repair, and archive these things, but not the writing skill needed to review or highlight key points from the zines.
I wonder if anyone would like to join in (I'm looking for more than one voice, by the way), and review some of these issues for the 'Spotlight' page of the site. I'm sure that there are people here with a lot more knowledge, insight (and memories) of these things than I have. I can provide high rez files of the pages if you would like to extract images to use in an overview.
At the moment, the zines are just there as a reading resource. I'd love to be able to emulate what Ken Meyer Jr. does over at http://comicattack.net/category/cafeatu ... inkstains/
and dig into them a bit more.
There's no money involved I'm afraid, this is just for the love of it. If anyone is interested, please get in touch with me at: david.price@post.com
Thanks.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

David Hathaway-Price wrote:That's a great find (and a very reasonable price), I'm very jealous. If you ever fancy putting them through a scanner I could offer the results a good home :D

Today's upload

THE PANELHOUSE #2
By Fiona Jerome - 1995
Cover by Bryan Talbot

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/ ... house.html
I bought them mainly to keep them within the comic collecting fraternity. I'm quite happy to part with them for the £15 I paid for them. They are quite thick and are typewritten and then photocopied but there is some loss (or not very good reproduction) of the copy on a few pages. One has a small handwritten note signed by Nick (Landau I presume). PM me if you are interested.

David Hathaway-Price

Hi Steve, I've sent you a pm :D

David Hathaway-Price

Today's uploads

A Short Stop At The Transylvanian Brain Surgery #1 and 2
By Gray Pearce, George Barnett, and Ian Goral - 1974

Later, merged with ‘The Panelologist’.
As with most zines, the second issue is a great improvement :)

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/ ... ogist.html

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That sequence implies that the title changed to the Panelologist with the third issue, but I'm pretty sure there was a Transylvanian Brain Surgery #3 (in fact I think I had a couple of drawings in it).

David Hathaway-Price

Apologies. TBS lasted for five issues. I'll post issues three and five nearer the weekend (issue four is very rare, and I don't as yet have a copy) :D

David Hathaway-Price

Today's upload

AFTER IMAGE #3
By Lew Stringer - 1979
Cover by Paul R.D.WARD

Lew's first Con experience sounds very similar to mine, lol. This has the First appearance of Brickman, I think (then called Brick Person).
Lovely bit of artwork from Martin Forrest, too, whose work I always loved. Does any one know if he's still about?

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/ ... press.html

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

What a great site!

Awesome to see some of the old BEM issues, my dad used to draw a strip for it and had lots of spot illus in that and other titles.

Look forward to seeing future updates!

David Hathaway-Price

Thanks. I have about 25 issues at the moment, they'll all get posted over the next few months :)

Would your dad be Dave (R.D.H.) Harwood then?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Nah, my dad did Thundermole.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up the first and only issue of Zap! recently but it doesn't appear on your website.

David Hathaway-Price

Hi Steve, no, don't believe I've come across that one before.
By the way, I've recently uploaded quite a few 'new' issues of BEM, which may be of interest to koollectablz.

http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/bem.html

Dave

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I picked up the first and only issue of Zap! recently but it doesn't appear on your website.
I've had that for many years, Steve, but I haven't seen it for ages, I've no idea why I bought it, and I can't remember where I put it. Fortunately I am not disturbed by that because I know it will turn up sometime. :D