Pranks for the Memories

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Pranks for the Memories

Post by Digifiend »

I see that this year's Classic Beano and Dandy book, Pranks for the Memories, censored Peanut, the original mascot character, from the Beano's 1940s logo. Yet last year's The Comics That Won the War kept him in place. And one of the covers used shows Big Eggo smoking a cigar, while a Lord Snooty story retains Polly, the black girl, which is really double standards as she has the exact same blackface problem as Peanut (and was accordingly deleted in some previous books). Either remove everything that wouldn't pass muster today, or leave everything intact - preferably the latter. They shouldn't do half a job.

Otherwise, the book was good (covering 1930s through to 1990s), apart from a couple of minor typos (Smarty Granpa instead of Grandpa), gender confusion regarding Big Eggo (a caption calls him a she, when he's actually male), and several Desperate Dan stories obviously being taken from 1997's The Legend of Desperate Dan instead of the original comics (the dot pattern at the left and right sides and absence of title panel on some are dead giveaways). I also wish they'd give dates for all the stories.

Interesting to see that Winker Watson's pal Tim Trott was originally called Ginger. He looked identical to the Ginger from the Ginger's Super Jeep story, I suppose this is why his name later got changed.