All Fun Annual

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

All Fun Annual

Post by philcom55 »

I picked up a copy of this 1940s title from Manchester yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the artwork. As a matter of interest does anyone know if the contents are all original, or if they are reprinted from Soloway's regular All Fun comics?

paw broon

Re: All Fun Annual

Post by paw broon »

The British Guide only lists the Annual with the comment that it contains Nat Brand art. However, if you can let me have a selection of the stories, I'll check them against the digital copies I have of the comic. That's not a lot by the way but it might provide answers.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Any chance of a scan of the cover? :cheers:
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's the cover and contents page.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course, 'Nat Brand' went on to become much better known as a wildlife artist under his real name of Len Fullerton.
Attachments
$_35.JPG

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

First of all, most of these Soloway titles - All Fun; All Star; Comic Adventures; Comic Capers - have a lot of Nat Brand, Alan Fraser and Glynne art. But, oddly, when I check the individual titles against the Annual contents page, turns out that the adventure strips, Halcon; Argo; Dandy McQueen etc. weren't in All Fun but in some of the other titles. Unfortunately, while I can tell you that features from all 4 Soloway comics seem to be in your annual, I don't know if they are new stories or reprints.
There's more work to be done on this. Hopefully someone else can shed some more light.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yesterday I picked up Soloway's All Star Annual to go with my All Fun Annual. The contents really are amazingly good for a relatively minor British publisher of the 1940s. I love the Prince Valiant style cover! :)