Eighty Years of 'Jings!' 'Crivvens!' and 'Help Ma Boab!'

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Eighty Years of 'Jings!' 'Crivvens!' and 'Help Ma Boab!'

Post by Kashgar »

Just a quick reminder to members that eighty years ago today 'The Sunday Post Fun Section' starring 'The Broons' and 'Oor Wullie' was launched. Legends of comic strip art by any standard editor R D Low and the brilliant Dudley Watkins created better than they knew those four score years ago.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Eighty Years of 'Jings!' 'Crivvens!' and 'Help Ma Boab!'

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Legend has it that when Watkins informed his wife of the new strips - assignments he just accepted that:

>they may only last a few weeks'.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And poor Wullie's still sitting on that bucket! :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

There is a house in the next street to mines here in Scotland where someone has a stone life-size full colour statue of the spikey-topped urchin, on his bucket, polishing his boot---I'll see if I can grab a photo to put on here.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

There's now an Oor Wullie statue in Dundee -- see https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016 ... in-dundee/ for a news story about it.

Also, this summer, there's going to be an Oor Wullie Bucket Trail in Dundee. Looks like good fun.
More info at http://oorwulliebuckettrail.com/about/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

30 years ago, I thought the idea of a 'life-size' statue of Wullie and Watkins together in Dundee city centre would have been justified, so this is good news.

The face of the Wullie statue reminds me of Pansy Potter---nice and cartoony, I like it! ! I always thought that punk rocker Johnny Rotten 'stole' Wullie's hairstyle in 1976, however it's unlikely that Londoner Rotten/ Lydon was familiar with the character.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

love the idea you can pose by sitting on the bucket with Wullie..