Timothy Tester in Whizzer & Chips 1973

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

bigd-ek

Timothy Tester in Whizzer & Chips 1973

Post by bigd-ek »

Hi Forum Members,
I've recently purchased a large batch of Whizzer & Chips from 1973 primarily to read the adventure tale, Trip into Terror - and thoroughly good it is too.
However, I've also been very impressed with the double page humour strip 'Timothy Tester' which has real laugh out loud moments and stands out in comparison to most of the other strips.
There is a considerable level of ingenious invention every week and the stylised drawing style is in stark contrast to the other simpler single page humour strips.
Can anyone tell me who wrote & drew these highly entertaining stories which never fail to deliver in each issue.
Cheers,
Duncan

Lew Stringer

Re: Timothy Tester in Whizzer & Chips 1973

Post by Lew Stringer »

bigd-ek wrote: Can anyone tell me who wrote & drew these highly entertaining stories which never fail to deliver in each issue.
Cheers,
Duncan

Cliff Browne. He signed them, or at least he signed the ones I've seen.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

Thanks for the quick response Lew.
Cliff appeared to put a lot of effort in each week to produce a consistently funny strip.
It looks like a labour of love rather than just another job, with lots of little additional details that added to the humour.
Cheers,
Duncan

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I picked up the original art for this Cliff Browne puzzle a few years ago for the princely sum of £2. :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Love that thick-lined technique.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote:
bigd-ek wrote: Can anyone tell me who wrote & drew these highly entertaining stories which never fail to deliver in each issue.

Cliff Browne. He signed them, or at least he signed the ones I've seen.

Brown rather than Browne.

Do we have reason to think he wrote the strips as well as drew them, though?

My favourite Timothy Tester period is late 1975/early 1976 where he added a nice half page puzzle feature at the end of each strip, including some quite clever mazes.

Did you like the Pete's Pockets strips from that 1973 period, Duncan? Also very inventive, I think.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

philcom55 wrote:I picked up the original art for this Cliff Browne puzzle a few years ago for the princely sum of £2. :)
£2?!?! Find it at a boot sale or something?
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It was in a job lot of puzzle pages that a dealer was getting rid off. I could have actually got a lot more for similar prices (though a lot were just photocopies rather than original art).

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

Hi philcom55, I Love that pirate puzzle page by Cliff Brown - excellent example of his style - I'm staggered you purchased it for £2! :notworthy:

Hi Raven, I have to admit to ignoring Pete's Pockets, but have since looked back to read half a dozen strips and yes they are definitely a good quality - inventive & funny - do you know the writer & artist?

Duncan

Raven

Post by Raven »

The artist is Mike Lacey, who also did Sid's Snake. I think he really got to let rip with Pete's Pockets.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

philcom55 wrote:It was in a job lot of puzzle pages that a dealer was getting rid off. I could have actually got a lot more for similar prices (though a lot were just photocopies rather than original art).
Any chance he's still selling?
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I don't think so. From what I recall the remnants were given to a hospital or something.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

He wrote Scream Inn so a good comic writer and artist...