What comics would you get in the year of your birth?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

What comics would you get in the year of your birth?

Post by SID »

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.

Scenario time. :shhh:

Imagine that the Doctor's TARDIS worps into your livingroom and takes you off on a fantastic adventure. Afterwards he takes you home and says his goodbyes only for you to realise that he has taken you back to the year of your birth and there is no way of getting back to your own time.

Once you have accepted your lot, you then go out and achieve the mundane (finding a place to live, a job, a fiancee, etc...) and you settle in your new life. However, you soon realise that you are missing the key element - your regular comics.

Of course, you cannot get the comics of 2014 so what comics would you get?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: What comics would you get in the year of your birth?

Post by SID »

Now for me, it would be 1964.

So the comics I would get are:

The Dandy
The Topper
Eagle
Lion
Tiger
The Hotspur
Buster
Valiant
Boy's World
Hurricane

There would be other comics such as TV Century 21 but they wouldn't come out until later.

Edited: Updated my list with what I added throught this thread.
Last edited by SID on 24 Nov 2023, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

For me, it would have been Buster, the Beano and the Dandy. (1965)

Maybe, also Valiant.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

TV Century 21, The Beano and Buster for me plus Alan Class comics whenever I stumble across them.

I will though be spending a lot of time trawling for Golden & Silver Age US comics so that I can ensure a comfortable retirement...

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I should have added - I'm now in 1965 too.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As I would be in 1949, it would have to be story papers, particularly those with masked mystery men and thriller/s.f.serials. Beano and Dandy would be must reads. For my superhero fix, Superthriller with Ace Hart came out the year before. Sun and Comet are both up and running by this time. Of course there would also be a lot of G.G. Swan publications and how wonderful would it be to have a wallow in those? But, available in newsagents, pubs, market stalls, you could find a wealth of those American look-a-like comics that were shovelled out.
Swift Morgan, the t.v. boardman pub. and Roy Carson excited audiences back then, and still do it for me nowadays.
If you had a few bob to your name, being able to travel to nearby towns and checking newsagents and other wee shops would have been a pleasure. Treasure trove to be found, I imagine. Of interest to me is that The Phantom comics published by Frew in Australia commenced publication in 1948 and there is every chance they would have been available here - not regularly or every issue - soon after. They certainly were by the early to mid '50's. I'd be working piles of overtime to save up for all those amazing comics.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Beano, Commando, Battle Action, Victor, Eagle, Roy of the Rovers and maybe War Picture Library.

Edit: Oh yeah, this would be 1984!
Last edited by felneymike on 19 Jan 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

So back to 1968 for me. Eagle, Victor, Hotspur, Hornet, Rover and Wizard, Ranger, Tiger, Valiant, Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Topper and Commando. Did I miss any?

Plus holidays at Caravan sites around the country would reward me with those Alan Class comics so beloved of caravan site shops everywhere.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

1959 for me. Undoubtedly I'd buy The Beano as it was going through arguably it's best ever period with Baxendale, Reid, Law, Watkins etc. Possibly Eagle, although I've never really been a Dan Dare fan. Not really a great year for UK comics. Film Fun and Radio Fun were on the decline. Lion and Tiger hadn't yet hit their heights. I think I'd probably be more interested in buying the Daily Mirror every day for the strips and looking out for the first US comics to be imported into the UK after the war restrictions were lifted.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

(Pls ignore)
Last edited by SID on 24 Nov 2023, 21:07, edited 5 times in total.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

1971 for me so i would get Beano,Dandy,buster,whizzer & chips etc,Darn it i would buy all titles plus all marvel & Dc especially the likes of spiderman & xmen in multiples & sell them in my now old age :lol:

starscape

Post by starscape »

In 1968, I'd say Valiant was far and away the best British comic going. Lion revamped itself to catch up.

Marvel was going through an incredible period of course, with Silver Surfer and Captain Marvel going through the Silver to Bronze Age and the Vision first appearing, as well as great stuff from Namor, the FF etc.

Not much from DC except Neal Adams artwork. Solid from DCT but not much I'd be desperate to read. Not that I wouldn't get them but I think it took Warlord to drag DCT into the kind of writing I preferred.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

1978... so probably that year's run of Plug.

EDIT: Oh, and 2000 AD, of course.

starscape

Post by starscape »

...and Starlord
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

babington

Post by babington »

I'm sure you can guess the year. Besides the first issues of Knockout and Countdown, I’d have to get:

Amazing Spider-Man #100
Avengers #93, 94
Batman #232
Fantastic Four #112 – Hulk vs Thing
Marvel Feature 1, feat. the Defenders
Incredible Hulk #140, 141

Plus Beano and Dandy of course...