Fleetway and DC Thomson at War!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

alanultron5

Re: Fleetway and DC Thomson at War!

Post by alanultron5 »

I always quite liked "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" Churchill tried to ban it!
A Face unclouded by thought.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Re: "I always quite liked "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" Churchill tried to ban it!"

It only now occurs to me that the name of Colonel Blink (The Short-Sighted Gink) in The Beezer was a play on Colonel Blimp. Slow but sure, that's me.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course the name 'Colonel Blimp' came from David Low's famous cartoon creation - though I always found the film character to be quite sympathetic, and basically admirable in spite of his flaws and Churchill's misgivings. Incidentally it's said that Sir Winston disliked Science Fiction as well, so that copies of Eagle with his life story featured on the back page had to be delivered to No.10 Downing Street with the Dan Dare strip removed! :shock:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I was also a much bigger fan of the action strips as a kid and when I discovered Marvel I couldn't get enough. I did/do however like some of the war character stories from the comics of the time such as Battler Britain, Jonny Red, Major Eazy and Hellman.

War Picture Library type comics were later for me as well and I usually found them at Jumble sales but as I read them, I enjoyed them. I read many different ones in the 70s but always preferred Commando comics although at the time, I could never put my finger on why.

As an adult looking at them now, I believe that I found the stories more readable and the artwork clearer/less "cluttered" and even now, I still feel that a Commando book is an easier read for me than most of the other war comics.

bigpete

Post by bigpete »

I have to admit seeing your Ron Smith post Phil that I much preferred the stuff he did for DCT than his 2000AD work.
bigpete