DC Thomson advertises “Heritage Brands” editor

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

DC Thomson advertises “Heritage Brands” editor

Post by Digifiend »

DC Thomson are looking for a "Heritage Brands" editor, who will be editor of Commando, the Broons, Oor Wullie, and the classic Beano/Dandy annual.

http://downthetubes.net/?p=34009

Phoenix
Guru

Re: DC Thomson advertises “Heritage Brands” editor

Post by Phoenix »

The article refers at one point to the departure of Calum Laird. Does anyone know when he left and why? Had he just reached retirement age?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:The article refers at one point to the departure of Calum Laird. Does anyone know when he left and why? Had he just reached retirement age?
Calum took the opportunity to take early retirement and enjoy the fact that the young lad is working in the Archives and the daughters are going great guns at DJCAD.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Calum took the opportunity to take early retirement and enjoy the fact that the young lad is working in the Archives and the daughters are going great guns at DJCAD.
Thanks for the information, Col. I certainly wish Calum well. I remember him as very friendly and helpful when I was trying to discover the identity of the Scottish footballers whose photos were given away only in Scotland with the first forty issues of The Wizard. By the way, I'm not too good at interpreting acronyms so what is DJCAD? I'm guessing Dundee ? College Of Art And Design but I may be way out.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design
www.dundee.ac.uk/djcad/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Digifiend wrote:Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/djcad/
Thanks Digi. DJCAD and Dundee Uni work hand in hand these days as Philip Vaughan (Course Director (MSc Animation & VFX) at DJCAD) and Chris Murray (Senior Lecturer in Film Studies and Comics) are partners in crime in being big comic fans and both have been the driving force behind the Comics Day part of the Dundee Literary Festival in October. And Calum certainly helped out on a few occasions

Now I am quietly excited as you can imagine how big a tome a Best of Ron Smith would be or The Covers of Ian Kennedy. Or you could even get a Commando collection of Cam Kennedy's work. Or The Work of King Carlos: The Early Years

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Duncan Of Jordanstone? Well thank you for that elucidation, Digi, but I have to wonder how many members other than you and Colin knew that. In my opinion that acronym was unhelpful and should have been written out in full.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I didn't know it, I Googled "Dundee College of Art and Design", and that link came up. :)

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I found it interesting that they were advertising - I thought they had already replaced Morris Heggie as archivist, and of course this is combining his former role with that of Calum Laird.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:Duncan Of Jordanstone? Well thank you for that elucidation, Digi, but I have to wonder how many members other than you and Colin knew that. In my opinion that acronym was unhelpful and should have been written out in full.
It's one of the top art schools in the UK and is known as DJCAD to most in that arena. It's even their tweet handle.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

AndyB wrote:I found it interesting that they were advertising - I thought they had already replaced Morris Heggie as archivist, and of course this is combining his former role with that of Calum Laird.
Morris has retired as of last year and there is a new man with the archivist role. In fact the new man is Laird the younger's boss!

The archive role is completely different from the Heritage Editor role as the Archivist has to keep all of D C Thomson's archive in a useable format and that include many magazines that will be outside the Heritage Editor's role such as The Scots Magazine and The People's Friend.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:Duncan Of Jordanstone? Well thank you for that elucidation, Digi, but I have to wonder how many members other than you and Colin knew that. In my opinion that acronym was unhelpful and should have been written out in full.
The acronym is simple to find if you enter into Google. And I am sure that a man of your calibre is not adverse to the occasional Google search. :lol:

Plus think of how many acronyms are thrown at us on a daily basis such as BRICs if you are following economics or ITN, CNN, MSN, UCLA and NAACP. I often use DCT as shorthand for D C Thomson's and people don't seem to mind that.

We can't know everything and when you are on a time budget, you don't always have the time to write out the full Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, University of Dundee so DJCAD an easy to find (in fact the top hit on Google) acronym puts across enough of the message that anyone interested enough will find it. Now if I had put TANSTAAFL, then I would understand your confusion as that is something that is known to Robert A Heinlein fans and any of them will smile when they see it and think of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote: Now if I had put TANSTAAFL, then I would understand your confusion as that is something that is known to Robert A Heinlein fans and any of them will smile when they see it and think of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.
I use TANSTAAFL all the time and my son uses it on his Ebay account! Probably my favourite author.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:I often use DCT as shorthand for D C Thomson's and people don't seem to mind that.
That's a given.
colcool007 wrote:Now if I had put TANSTAAFL, then I would understand your confusion as that is something that is known to Robert A Heinlein fans and any of them will smile when they see it and think of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.
I think I've got that novel but I can't be certain that I've read it.
Adam Eterno wrote:Probably my favourite author.
He is certainly my favourite sci-fi novelist, but by no means my favourite overall. I was initially hooked many years ago when I found his novel The Door Into Summer in the library at Maghull Grammar School, and was impressed enough to explore him further.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Amd me. I knew what colin was talking about. It is well known establishment. And had I not known what it stood for, I would have looked it up. Easy. 8)