War Hero - Illustrated World Library Series

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

War Hero - Illustrated World Library Series

Post by Adam Eterno »

I don't suppose anyone knows the title of the #1 issue of War Hero - Illustrated World Library Series by World Distributors in 1970 do they? Please?

philcom55

Re: War Hero - Illustrated World Library Series

Post by philcom55 »

Denis Gifford doesn't give the title but he says the first issue was no.50.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Denis Gifford doesn't give the title but he says the first issue was no.50.
That helps loads, thanks!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

No help from the British guide, which also doesn't seem to know how many issues were in the series.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Denis Gifford doesn't give the title but he says the first issue was no.50.

Phil, I was just trying to find out more info on the other Illustrated World Library Series comics, Sundance Western and Thriller to find out what their starting issue numbers were and I came across this thread I started last year.
You mention that Gifford said the first issue was #50, which reference book are you using please as I think it's one I don't have? I have his "The Complete Catalogue of British Comics" but I can't see it in there. Is it the 1874-1974 catalogue?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:No help from the British guide, which also doesn't seem to know how many issues were in the series.
It's not listed in Duncan McAlpine's Comic Book Price Guide from 1996/1997 either.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, it's the 1874-1974 Catalogue. Though it doesn't have any pictures like the 'Complete Catalogue' it does contain plenty of information that can't be found in the later book. It's definitely worth having both (mine was an ex-Library copy which cost me 50p!).

For example, the entry under Illustrated World Library Series says 'See Picture Romance, Sundance Western, Thriller, War Hero' - and turning to War Hero the full entry is:
  • 1970?- ( ). World Distributors. 1s/6p. 68pp.4C. 5x7. BM:0. Illustrated World Library Series: pocket sized comicbook reprinting Spanish picture stories. Full colour cover, black interior, printed in Finland. First issue no.50. Published monthly.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

philcom55 wrote:Yes, it's the 1874-1974 Catalogue. Though it doesn't have any pictures like the 'Complete Catalogue' it does contain plenty of information that can't be found in the later book. It's definitely worth having both (mine was an ex-Library copy which cost me 50p!).

For example, the entry under Illustrated World Library Series says 'See Picture Romance, Sundance Western, Thriller, War Hero' - and turning to War Hero the full entry is:
  • 1970?- ( ). World Distributors. 1s/6p. 68pp.4C. 5x7. BM:0. Illustrated World Library Series: pocket sized comicbook reprinting Spanish picture stories. Full colour cover, black interior, printed in Finland. First issue no.50. Published monthly.
Thanks again Phil. I'll get myself a copy off of Abe or Ebay although not for 50p I'm sure!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Yes, it's the 1874-1974 Catalogue. Though it doesn't have any pictures like the 'Complete Catalogue' it does contain plenty of information that can't be found in the later book. It's definitely worth having both (mine was an ex-Library copy which cost me 50p!).
I bought my near-mint 1975 first edition copy from Bournemouth dealer Jim Allinson, trading as Facet Books, in 2000. I must have met him at a PBFA book fair somewhere in the northwest, and just got chatting as you do. I certainly went to plenty. It wasn't Pudsey but it may well have been in Manchester. He didn't have the book with him that day but I must have told him it was on my Wants List. It cost me £35 plus p&p as opposed to its original price of £12.50. The reason I know this is because inside the front cover there is a letter from Jim that was enclosed with it dated 5. 4. 2000. At some point later that year I placed with it the obituary for Denis from the Daily Telegraph although I have no recollection as to quite why I bought that paper that day. Maybe I bought several different papers and just cut the obituary out of that one. Perhaps inevitably I also have a copy of his The Complete Catalogue Of British Comics published by Webb and Bower also in near-mint condition. I used to be in the habit of upgrading copies of my books but these days I'm less demanding and just take them as they come. However, I think my body could do with some upgrading.