KICK OFF ---- Uk football comic from 1974

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

smiler

KICK OFF ---- Uk football comic from 1974

Post by smiler »

Hi everyone. I have all the copies , in mint condition of this comic which just came out for a few months in 1974. It then stopped printing due to poo sales. I am struggling to find out anything about the KICK OFF comic and if my collection is worth anything. Can anyone help ?. Thanks Paul

smiler

Re: KICK OFF ---- Uk football comic from 1974

Post by smiler »

Sorry it was 1975. Paul

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A seller has been trying to sell a copy from November for ages on Ebay and hasn't had a taker at 99p so it doesn't bode well for their value I'm sorry to say Smiler.

The #1 with it's free wall chart sold for £7-£8, 3 months ago.

I could find very little info on the comic when I came across it only last year. How many issues did it last for as I couldn't even find that out?

smiler

Post by smiler »

I think I have about 14 Adam.

smiler

Post by smiler »

I have never understood about the Kick Off comic and its worth. I have contacted loads of different comic clubs and shops over the last 20 years about it and nobody has any real knowledge of it. I also don't know of anyone else who as all the issues. I thought things that were rare and nobody had were the
real collectors items ????

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

smiler wrote:I have never understood about the Kick Off comic and its worth. I have contacted loads of different comic clubs and shops over the last 20 years about it and nobody has any real knowledge of it. I also don't know of anyone else who as all the issues. I thought things that were rare and nobody had were the
real collectors items ????
Not necessarily. Just because something is rare, it does not mean that it is valuable and the converse seems to work just as well as issue 2 of 2000AD is not that rare and neither are the stickers from that issue but put them together and suddenly you have £500 of value.

A good example of rare and high value is the first issue of Action Comics to feature Superman. However the first issue of The Wizard which is older and probably just as rare probably cannot command 1/10,000th of the value. This is where Phoenix comes forward and tells me that people are willing to pay over £190 for issue 1 of The Wizard!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

If it helps, I picked up the whole set off eBay a few years back. It was about £1 a copy. If I recall it merged in to Shoot. The best bit was the logo.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:However the first issue of The Wizard which is older and probably just as rare probably cannot command 1/10,000th of the value. This is where Phoenix comes forward and tells me that people are willing to pay over £190 for issue 1 of The Wizard!
Essentially, Col, the value of an item depends on the potential buyers. Just go to a live auction and watch the bidders drop out when their valuations are exceeded. As regards my issue 1 of The Wizard, which adorns the front cover of my book This Was The Wizard, I was in just such an auction, on eBay to be precise, with one other keen bidder. He eventually threw in the towel, and I won it for £170. As I really, really wanted it there was no way I was prepared to lose out so if the other bidder had continued bidding I would still have won even if it had meant that I needed to go to the bank the following day for a loan. Even now I think it was cheap. The first issues of the other members of The Big Five cost me an average of about £75 each, which is what I paid for a complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica in nearly mint condition at a live auction in Southport a couple of years later. To clarify, that was £75 for all the volumes, not £300.