Ever sold any comics and deeply regretted it ever since?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Ever sold any comics and deeply regretted it ever since?

Post by Hawkeye »

Quite a few years ago I bought a complete year of Beano comics from 1953 all in fine condition from Compal, I think I paid about £200.

Later I had this bright idea that I would sell them for £10 each until I had recovered my £200, and whatever comics I had left would therefore be 'free'.

I sold about ten and then realised that I should never have done it, some good ideas just don't turn out as good as you think.

I've tried to replace them but I'm still a few short. It was a really beautiful set of comics, and I need a good slapping for breaking them up.

big bad bri

Re: Ever sold any comics and deeply regretted it ever since?

Post by big bad bri »

i sold my collection of american comics about 20 odd years ago 1000s of comics for just over £1000 i regretted it the next day and if i still had them today would be worth a fortune as i had runs of amazing spiderman xmen iss 1 iron man etc.i regret that and i know when i tried to sell my uk comics
collection last year would have regrettted it as the collector in me will never ever die and have since bought loads american stuff again.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

By contrast I don't think I've ever regretted buying anything comic-related in the long run - even if I felt really stupid for paying too much at the time!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have never resold a single comic in my life---I even hang onto copies I was disappointed with after ordering, as tastes of the reader can change over time.

I have swapped doubles though, which obviously makes sense.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have sold plenty of doubles and I don't mind that. But when I moved back into single accommodation in 1997, I had to sell my collection of 1800 Commandos. I still regret that to this day.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

I miss my first 2000AD annual but, in general, I'm glad I sold most of my comics when I moved abroad. I now take great pleasure in buying up series that I've missed and old favourites without the clutter of comics I'd either read thousands of times or didn't enjoy very much but were just there as I'd bought them.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I did a few times about 10 years ago. Money was tight so I thought I'd sell off a few sets that "I'll probably never read again". It was faster to sell them rather than wade through loads of duplicates........I soon wished that I'd just dumped the duplicates. Near Mint sets of Marvel 70s Star Wars, Dracula Lives and Conan were all that went before I realised the error of my ways.

I just remembered that I also sold a set of Captain Britain, 2nd series, that I REALLY regret now!

In some ways I'm glad it happened as I now question myself heavily if I contemplate selling anything that isn't a duplicate and usually resist. I even have doubts over selling some of my more valuable duplicates!

I agree with the previous comment about never regretting buying anything comic related, whatever the price I paid.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Off topic but I sold a box of about 200 punk rock singles, most in picture sleeves and some on coloured vinyl, for a poultry £120 a few years ago. Could have got that for a dozen of them on ebay. I still have about 500 sixties singles and EPs though.

My biggest comic regret is a schoolmate giving me Tales of Suspense 39 in the late sixties and I got rid of it - can't remember how but I preferred dc comics at the time.

Who needs a crummy Iron Man origin issue when you can have a nice Shaffenberger Lois Lane?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I sure hope you don't regret selling me that batch of pristine 1965 Sparky's Steve! I really treasure them and -so grateful to you!
A Face unclouded by thought.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I used to collect Rupert the Bear VERY avidly when I was a lot younger.

Managed the full run of annuals in astounding condition amongst many, many other nice items. '36 with superb dust wrapper, '42 in near mint, all the '60s in mint with magic paintings untouched, etc etc. In fact my copy of the '36 was the one that was featured on the Rupert Bear tv documentary back around when Paul McCartney released his frog chorus.

So anyway, I also had a full run of the adventure series. #1-50, though these aren't particularly expensive or difficult to find if you're willing to pay FMV.

As part of my run I had a pretty much mint copy of #1 (again, quite a common comic) - and that was one of two items I took along to the first followers of Rupert meeting at which Alfred Bestall was guest of honour - really lovely to meet him!

So yeah I had that signed by Bestall. Woo hoo!!

Some years later I decide to sell my whole collection (which ultimately paid my way through university - so no regrets there). But yup, kept hold of the adventure series #1 signed by Bestall. Phew...

Then.

About a year after that, I decided to sell what other comics I had - the #1 went too.

:headbash:

I deeply regret selling that.

I regretted selling it pretty much immediately, and I still get pangs that I don't have it to this day.

So yeah, I think that would fit the criteria of deeply regretting!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Just thought of another one! Though this one is different because it's mostly about the money involved.

In the 70s/80s I used to go to jumble sales a lot (scouring for Rupert stuff) - at one I happened to pick up a couple of nicely produced 'funny animal' comics with thick card covers. I'd never heard of them at all, but they were so well illustrated I asked the price (2p each!) and just bought them.

Took them home and put them away, never thought about them for well over a decade - then I spotted a want ad in a comic fanzine from a guy in Holland asking for these exact comics. So I rang him up and said I had them, he said he wanted them and what would the price be, I hadn't thought about that and just said the first thing in my head - £18 for the two...

He actually wired me the money that day, so I sent them off thinking I'd made out pretty well.

What were the comics?

Oh yeah.

Tom Puss Comics #1
And
Tom Puss in Rhymeland

So yeah, I'm about £10k down on that deal.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Just thought of another one! Though this one is different because it's mostly about the money involved.

In the 70s/80s I used to go to jumble sales a lot (scouring for Rupert stuff) - at one I happened to pick up a couple of nicely produced 'funny animal' comics with thick card covers. I'd never heard of them at all, but they were so well illustrated I asked the price (2p each!) and just bought them.

Took them home and put them away, never thought about them for well over a decade - then I spotted a want ad in a comic fanzine from a guy in Holland asking for these exact comics. So I rang him up and said I had them, he said he wanted them and what would the price be, I hadn't thought about that and just said the first thing in my head - £18 for the two...

He actually wired me the money that day, so I sent them off thinking I'd made out pretty well.

What were the comics?

Oh yeah.

Tom Puss Comics #1
And
Tom Puss in Rhymeland

So yeah, I'm about £10k down on that deal.

Ouch! That level of regret is nigh on impossible to get over!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Re. the Tom Puss, I remember getting the Book and Magazine collector every month for years and years, and every one had a 'wanted' ad. for Tom Puss comic #1, I often wondered if he ever got one, I bet that was the guy. He's probably got dozens of them by now.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I remember really liking the Rhymeland one, it has very few pages but the cover is much thicker than normal paper, nearly card, and it has a kind of stippling feel when you run your fingers over it.

Oh well, it's only money I guess. I regret the Rupert Adventure series #1 far more tbh, I guess because I had an absolute attachment to it.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

In the late 70s I found a big run of early Boy's World really cheap. I bought them because 60s British comics were hard to find in Australia, but later got rid of them thinking they were a bit too "boy". Much later another couple of issues turned up and I realised how great "Wrath Of The Gods" was, and I regretted selling the earlier batch. Fortunately that wasn't an expensive mistake to rectify.