Good titles to bind?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

Good titles to bind?

Post by koollectablz »

So I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and dip my toe into the world of comic binding.

Now I know it's sacrilege to a lot of people as it involves damaging the comics to an extent, but what I've decided is to go after runs that ultimately don't have much value as single issues anyway. Also copies that have browned and chipped edges make good contenders as they will be trimmed anyway. Plus any raggedy spines will be 'fixed'.

So rather than get the usual suspects bound - like full years of eagle etc, I'm looking for titles that can fit in one volume as a full set, or a continuous run of a particular strip/story.

I've sent off a full set of Tornado #1-22 which seemed like a good start as they're fairly common and the complete set makes for a good sized volume.

What do people think would be good titles to choose?

They need to be a full run, or have one lengthy strip standout story in a number of continuous issues, not exceed 2 3/4 inches in depth when stacked up and hopefully have some good ongoing strips in them.

So far I'm thinking:

Tornado (full run)
Jet (full run)
Thunder (full run)
Star Lord (full run)
Solo (full run)
Scream (full run)
Countdown (full run)
The Avengers issues of Diana
The Dr Who covers of TV Comic

What others do people think?

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Good titles to bind?

Post by Phoenix »

I do have a handful of bound volumes within my DCT collections but the comics are all from the pre-war period and they had been bound before I bought them. I would prefer to have the issues loose but beggars can't be choosers. In the long run having the issues is really all that matters. However there is no way in this cockeyed world that I would send any of my post-war papers to a binder. I'm quite comfortable with being considered a bit of a luddite.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Consider it considered.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

[quote="koollectablz"]So I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and dip my toe into the world of comic binding.

We've touched on this before as I've also thought about it. How much is the binding costing you if you don't mind me asking?

There were a few Marvel sets that could be bound such as Savage Sword of Conan, Titans, Superheroes, Fantastic Four, Fury, Rampage etc and they are all really cheap and small runs. Rocket 1956 was only 32 issues. What about a bound volume of Summer specials such as Victor or Valiant?

School Fun from 1983 was 33 issues. Speed from 1980 was only 30 odd issues as well. Giggle?

Battle Picture Weekly with Valiant was 56 issues. Buster Adventure Library - 36 issues, in fact a lot of the Picture Libraries only lasted 30 issues or so. Buster comic Library in the '80s was 30 odd issues

Terrific! 43 issues, Ranger, Vulcan and some of the Valiant mergers only lasted for 30-50 comics such as Valiant and Lion and Valiant and Vulcan.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Base cost is £22, plus £11 shipping, plus VAT. So cheapest I've found is around £40.

I've asked for a couple of extras too that pushes it to £44.

When its done I'll post a few photos here.

Agreed on the Rocket, I have partial run atm whch i'm looking to complete and bind.

Schoolfun is a good shout. As is Vulcan.

The picture libraries I reckon are too small to make a good looking volume. But yeah hadn't thought of those.

But the Marvel reprints.... Hmm cracking idea! Def have a go at doing some of those. Plus theyre on much thinner paper than IPC comics so a full run volume could run to a lot more issues.

I was thinking abut adding in the respective summer special in the runs at the back, but any variation in size from the comic to the special makes it impractical.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Did Speed change size through the run? I have the first three but I think it changed format like Action did?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Thought you might be interested in these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARVEL-TEAM-U ... Swo4pYPYhz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALOUR-COMICS ... 2877627022

He has more as well. Looks like someone has also had the idea of binding!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Yeah cheers I saw those, he's already turned down my offers, twice. :D

I'm not sure how they've been bound either, I want them to be tape sewn so they lie flat with no inner gutter compromise. There's also a difficult balance to be made between whats worth binding and whats not, I liked the Valour, but the other two seemed a bit pointless (to me).

Titles that showcase reprinted material or that themselves have been reprinted don't really interest me that much.

For instance I've picked up some full years of 70's Toppers very cheaply with ragged edges that should make good candidates. Also half yearly runs of things like Lion and Valiant as you can get runs with rusted staples very cheap that lend themselves well too. Considering the staples are removed anyway and if the pages aren't too badly stained they turn from single issues that are a bit horrid to read and are continually getting worse into a full book that once sewn, cleaned and trimmed are a pleasure to hold.

Even really bad spines can be fixed with archival paper and once bound you can't tell.

Indeed if anyone has complete runs, full years or half years of any interesting titles in poor condition (but fundamentally complete - no cutouts or huge chucks missing) with bad edges and spines, rusted staples, creasing that kind of thing I'd be interested in buying them to bind and give a new lease of life.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

So the binding is back!

Im pretty pleased with it.
tornado spine.jpg
tornado open 90.jpg
tornado end.jpg
Great to open it out and read as a book, I do think this works very well for one off runs of comics.

Actual price was less than I first thought, in total inc delivery it was £37.61.

In response to PM - place this was from is http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/comic-binding.html
Last edited by koollectablz on 17 Mar 2017, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

That looks even better than I thought it would! It's a great idea for old shabby comics to give them a new life.

I can imagine a shelf with a dozen or so similar volumes on it in my study.............

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Looks really good!
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Sent off a complete year of Topper from 1974 to get bound, they needed a lot of preparation to get into a fit state (tears seals, pressing out creases and folds etc), but hopefully binding should stablize the condition well and make quite a formidable tome!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

that looks really good im thinking of maybe doing that myself :lol: but may get double sets as i do love my comics as they are.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Sent off a complete year of Topper from 1974 to get bound, they needed a lot of preparation to get into a fit state (tears seals, pressing out creases and folds etc), but hopefully binding should stablize the condition well and make quite a formidable tome!

It would be great if you had before and after photos!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

IMG_8219.JPG
Pretty much identical to this 1975 set I have, they came from the same source.

All with heavy centre folds, fairly ratty spines and edges, various tears small edges chunks out etc.
IMG_8220.JPG