British Comic Mergers - Good or Bad?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

starscape

Re: British Comic Mergers - Good or Bad?

Post by starscape »

Whizzer merged with Chips, then with Krazy meaning it was called Whizzer, Chips and Krazy, although due to some incompetent it was accidentally christened Whizzer & Chips with Krazy. An accident they felt obliged to keep until the end.

What? :coat:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Whizzer didn't merge with Chips did it?

I thought it came out as a two in one title, like Shiver and Shake.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

If memory serves, Chips was in the middle of Whizzer, but not stapled to it. Also I seem to recall it being printed in blue.

starscape

Post by starscape »

koollectablz wrote:Whizzer didn't merge with Chips did it?

Although I thought Battle Action was a good comic, I did like the way they veered away from the more traditional Battle Picture Weekly AND Action Comic title.

Mind you, they also did that with Look-In, where they merged the educational Look & Learn with with the more pop-culture In-Crowd Magazine, not to mention Star Comic and Lordy-Lordy becoming Lordy-Starro.

And who could forget the UK's first super-hero comic when Wulf the Briton merged with Captain America. Some might remember the stories written by Woody Allen and Steve Moore (or Allen Moore as they like to be called).

:settee:
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

SID

Post by SID »

starscape wrote:Although I thought Battle Action was a good comic, I did like the way they veered away from the more traditional Battle Picture Weekly AND Action Comic title.
Agreed. "Battle-Action" was a much cooler name. A pity that IPC eventually dropped it.
starscape wrote:Mind you, they also did that with Look-In, where they merged the educational Look & Learn with the more pop-culture In-Crowd Magazine...
And people said that the merger would never work. The way they explained that the Trigan Empire were the forefathers of the Vulcans. Genius!
:settee:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

blaing

Post by blaing »

Technically it didn't, but by the time the comic went all colour in May 1990, the comic within a comic format was dropped (at a cost of a reduced page count (24 pages as opposed to the comics 32 prior to that date))

SID

Post by SID »

blaing wrote:

Technically it didn't, but by the time the comic went all colour in May 1990, the comic within a comic format was dropped (at a cost of a reduced page count (24 pages as opposed to the comics 32 prior to that date))
Never knew that. A pity as it made the comic unique.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

Wasn't that keen when Tiger merged with Eagle. Poor old Billy Dane got up to all sorts of Eagle-esque antics, like flying a plane after the pilot became ill, while being on the run for most of his Eagle stint.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I seem to recall that it was no cakewalk for you either Blake! :)

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

:D Very true, a million miles away from doing death wish stunts in Speed!

SID

Post by SID »

So when was your favourite time, Blake? Was it when you were with Speed, Tiger or Eagle?

Blake Edmonds

Post by Blake Edmonds »

Kind of partial to Speed, then Tiger. Eagle was a bit too hair-raising!