What comic of yesteryear could survive if revived?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Michael Anden

What comic of yesteryear could survive if revived?

Post by Michael Anden »

I've had a debate with some friends recently about whether comics we enjoyed in our teens like Crisis, Revolver, Deadline etc would have chance of thriving if brought back in some way. Apparently Deadline is due a comeback, but in what form I've no idea and I think it's been a year since the announcement about its revival (how serious I'm not sure, but it was from the horse's mouth).

It was suggested to me that integrating comics reading into some kind of social media event might entice, but I have my doubts, as any attempt to augment comics electronically beyond just being comics (eg Alan Moore's Electricomics) seems to be just a futile attempt to compete with already-established formats.

It's perhaps possible that just vinyl has seen a minor resurgence around the world, an old school toy as Lego has seen a massive return to popularity, the success of computer game Minecraft might be partly attributed to using graphics not seen since the age of Pong, print books (particularly non-fiction) are apparently overtaking ebooks in a big way, perhaps the humble comic might yet see a comeback... even on newsagents' shelves (I know - I went there... I actually went there). Spinner racks! Smoky British Rail carriages! Er, Spangles! Er, actually I don't remember that last one, but apparently everyone always gets very nostalgic whenever they're mentioned, so I figured I'd crowbar them in there just to round this post off nicely.

And lest I forget my original query, I think Crisis comic could probably find a new audience, given that the country has become highly politicized again with Brexit, Trump, terrorism, this U-turn joke of a snap election, etc.

koollectablz

Re: What comic of yesteryear could survive if revived?

Post by koollectablz »

Unfortunately I don't think any kind of revival of anything gone before will be successful.

Mainly based on that if it was good enough before it wouldn't have failed in the first place.

It's also to be remembered that even in say in a 'golden period' of comic publishing (say the 50s/60s) where you had individual comics selling regularly in the millions and high hundred thousands weekly, plenty of comics still failed because they were just rubbish.

Things change, things move on. The future certainly isn't print as we have always known it.

Comics to me were always based upon the principal of a having a core enormous audience of children buying them - those days are simply gone.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

koollectablz wrote:Unfortunately I don't think any kind of revival of anything gone before will be successful.

Mainly based on that if it was good enough before it wouldn't have failed in the first place.

It's also to be remembered that even in say in a 'golden period' of comic publishing (say the 50s/60s) where you had individual comics selling regularly in the millions and high hundred thousands weekly, plenty of comics still failed because they were just rubbish.

Things change, things move on. The future certainly isn't print as we have always known it.

Comics to me were always based upon the principal of a having a core enormous audience of children buying them - those days are simply gone.
I remember when t'were all fields around here, koollectablz! I can assure you one thing though - comics are still surviving, and most of the people reading them are probably in their late thirties (I'm being generous) and older!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

If Crisis were around today, that would be an interesting read. I stuck with it for most of its' life but I found it got too preachy towards the end so I finished my sub around issue 50 or so.

If anything were to be done today, it would be in the same bracket as the Megazine and would end up as a cross between Clint, Deadline and Crisis. Now as to how many would pay for such a comic, that would be an interesting piece of research.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Preachy towards the end? Are you sure? Crisis basically gave up politics towards the end and became an art comic with the likes of Fellini, Straitgate, Bible John and the real Robin Hood. I'd have thought it was more preachy in the beginning with Third World War. Although I loved it at the time.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

starscape wrote:Preachy towards the end? Are you sure? Crisis basically gave up politics towards the end and became an art comic with the likes of Fellini, Straitgate, Bible John and the real Robin Hood. I'd have thought it was more preachy in the beginning with Third World War. Although I loved it at the time.
I feel we have the beginning of a beautiful subject for discussion tomorrow! :P
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Working from the assumption that the comic would be similar to its original incarnation, then I suggest Warrior.

I thought it was a great mag at the time and reminds me of the modern day 2000AD. Simply a comic ahead of its time which would easily slide into 2017 though the quality (no pun) of the paper could be better and with a dash of colour too.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).