Old annuals

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Old annuals

Post by abacus »

The golden age for annuals when choice and variety of content was great seems to have long gone but for a collector like myself there is much to find of interest in these old annuals.For instance many of the old annuals featured advertised products and as the image shows two inside dedications one being particularly cute.

starscape

Re: Old annuals

Post by starscape »

Can't agree with that. The stories are virtually unreadable.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

abacus

Post by abacus »

I agree in the sense there is not much point dwelling on the past but more comic titles then meant more annuals and more choice and surely you would have got the annuals you liked anyway.

The last couple of years there are the D.C. Thomson and Marvel annuals , pop singers and pop group annuals and that's about it.
I was also disappointed with how few gift books there were available last year.

There is a charity book shop I go to which has a lot of victorian books and I also own a number of these type books myself and it amazes me how small the printing is in some of these weighty volumes .
Could they then read by candle light or gaslight in darkened rooms with no need of a visit to Specsavers? :)

abacus

Post by abacus »

More on old annuals showing the variety of annuals that as you folk's would know are still around and can be bought fairly cheaply.
The blue coloured girl's own annual shown has lots of pages and is quite heavy I also have a similar size boy's own annual somewhere around.
Blackie's children's annual although a story annual has some fine coloured plates.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I think the Girl's Own annual would be a bound volume of the previous year's issues with the covers removed. Publications did this around a century ago.

abacus

Post by abacus »

stevezodiac wrote:I think the Girl's Own annual would be a bound volume of the previous year's issues with the covers removed. Publications did this around a century ago.
Yes, it does contain the years magazine issues (oct 1903--sept 1904)
Last edited by abacus on 07 Nov 2017, 15:36, edited 3 times in total.

abacus

Post by abacus »

One hopefully final post re. Old annuals.
I've tried to show some of the variety of annuals out there and ones I have amassed
without showing you the newer or more popular annuals.
Most I have collected cost a pound or less from car boot sales, non are from Ebay where postage would have to be taken into account.
I will keep on picking up annuals but I know for serious collectors the rare stuff will cost big bucks.
I will keep to bargain basement collecting but whether you pay little or lots good luck with your collecting.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I have that same Okay annual you have pictured there.
It is quite the odd book.
I assume it is from the late 50s/early 60s, there is no date in it but another book I got from the same car boot with the same name in it was date 1960.
It seems to be mostly made up of reprints, some American in nature, I dont recognise any of the strips inside it other than the American version of Dennis the Menace.

What also strikes me really odd is the name. Has the meaning of the word okay really changed that much in the last 50/60 years? Now if something is okay, it means it isnt good or especially bad just mediocre, it doesnt make the annual sound like something of quality worth buying. Or was the word okay still some foreign American word back then which conjured up images of the old west?

I havent actually got round to reading this book yet, unfortunately.

abacus

Post by abacus »

The printing was slightly odd with some strips alternating between color and black and white.
Last edited by abacus on 07 Mar 2019, 13:59, edited 4 times in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:Has the meaning of the word okay really changed that much in the last 50/60 years?
When I was a youngster it also meant 'Yes'.