Scream and Misty merge for all-new comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Scream and Misty merge for all-new comic

Post by Lew Stringer »

I thought this news deserved its own topic, rather than being hidden in the Rebellion thread. Scream and Misty return for Halloween in a combined special one-off. Even better, it'll contain all-new stories!

You can see more info and the cover here:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... oming.html

philcom55

Re: Scream and Misty merge for all-new comic

Post by philcom55 »

Fascinating! I wonder if this is the first time in British comics history that a Girls' comic has combined with a Boys' comic?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i cant wait.ill probably buy 2 copies ,but not for mercenary purposes that some members of his forum do :lol:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Is it the 1st time a comic has had 3 logos on the cover too ie. 2000ad,scream & misty.not counting reprint stuff like classics from the comics or funny fortnightly.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Great news, well done Rebellion. Now all we need is a Christmas special featuring festive strips from IPC Funnies

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

big bad bri wrote:Is it the 1st time a comic has had 3 logos on the cover too ie. 2000ad,scream & misty.not counting reprint stuff like classics from the comics or funny fortnightly.
There was the 'Smash! Pow!It's Fantastic! Summer Special' published in 1968.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

OMG!!!!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!

All new stuff too!

Cover is great too!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

big bad bri wrote:Is it the 1st time a comic has had 3 logos on the cover too ie. 2000ad,scream & misty.not counting reprint stuff like classics from the comics or funny fortnightly.
There was Smash! and Pow! incorporating Fantastic for several weeks in 1968, and I seem to remember that Egmont's Thunderbirds, Stingray, and Captain Scarlet (or Joe 90) merged into one mouthful of a title in the 1990s.

Considering this special features Black Max, perhaps it should have been called Scream! and Misty incorporating Thunder. :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Re: Scream! and Misty (and also Thunder) merge

Post by SID »

I can't wait. It's the next best thing to a new regular comic. :D

I'm also glad Rebellion will be including a strip from Thunder - a very underappreciated comic in the 70s, especially how it reshaped Lion after the merger.

Now will the strips be faithful to their originals or will they be revamps like what was done with the 2000AD Action Special? I think it will be the former which I would prefer.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The parallel-world Nazis from "The Sentinels" comment on the upcoming followup in "Scream & Misty": :D

And:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote:I can't wait. It's the next best thing to a new regular comic. :D

I'm also glad Rebellion will be including a strip from Thunder - a very underappreciated comic in the 70s, especially how it reshaped Lion after the merger.

Now will the strips be faithful to their originals or will they be revamps like what was done with the 2000AD Action Special? I think it will be the former which I would prefer.
what was the 2000ad action special? i didn't know it was old characters i thought it was 2000ad characters.and why didn't it work that time as rebellion must have had ideas back when this was released.

SID

Post by SID »

big bad bri wrote:

what was the 2000ad action special? i didn't know it was old characters i thought it was 2000ad characters and why didn't it work that time as rebellion must have had ideas back when this was released.
Hi, bri.

From memory, back in the 80s, IPC (who was running the show) released two Action Specials.

First was the Classic Action Special which featured all new stories of classic characters from the likes of Lion and Valiant (e.g. Kelly's Eye).

Then they released a 2000AD Action Special where those classic characters were re-imagined (for instance Tim Kelly's stone had grown and was grafted into his chest).

I don't know if IPC had an agenda. I do know that I didn't like what they did to the characters in the 2000AD Action Special and maybe that was the reaction in general?

The only thing to come out of it was that the re-imagined Tim Kelly went on and joined the Universal Soldier series in 2000AD.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I wonder if the follow up to The Sentinels will be a complete story (a few pages) or something in a mini-serial length?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

SID wrote:
big bad bri wrote:

what was the 2000ad action special? i didn't know it was old characters i thought it was 2000ad characters and why didn't it work that time as rebellion must have had ideas back when this was released.
Hi, bri.

From memory, back in the 80s, IPC (who was running the show) released two Action Specials.

First was the Classic Action Special which featured all new stories of classic characters from the likes of Lion and Valiant (e.g. Kelly's Eye).

Then they released a 2000AD Action Special where those classic characters were re-imagined (for instance Tim Kelly's stone had grown and was grafted into his chest).

I don't know if IPC had an agenda. I do know that I didn't like what they did to the characters in the 2000AD Action Special and maybe that was the reaction in general?

The only thing to come out of it was that the re-imagined Tim Kelly went on and joined the Universal Soldier series in 2000AD.
thanks sid i may have to look out for it on ebay .

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote: I don't know if IPC had an agenda. I do know that I didn't like what they did to the characters in the 2000AD Action Special and maybe that was the reaction in general?
I think I wrote an article for that special but I've misplaced my copy.

I wasn't too keen on the updated, darker, characters either, as I recall.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/