Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Does anyone remember...? 
Author Message

Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 10:38
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Does anyone remember a comic strip that was about a gun? From the little I recall, it was a story about a gun and in each issue, the gun passed into different hands and a different story was told. If I'm correct, I think the final part of the story showed it falling into Hitler's hands and he used the gun to kill himself.

If this really was a comic strip (and not a figment of my imagination) it from the late 70s or early 80s. I think the series was called 'The Gun', but I could be mistaken on that point.

I'd be interested to know if anyone does recall this story and could perhaps help identify the publication in which it was serialised. It would help enormously with a paper I'm writing.

Best,

Ash


08 Oct 2017, 05:49
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Posts: 1210
Location: Southampton/London
Reply with quote
AshRL wrote:
Does anyone remember a comic strip that was about a gun? From the little I recall, it was a story about a gun and in each issue, the gun passed into different hands and a different story was told. If I'm correct, I think the final part of the story showed it falling into Hitler's hands and he used the gun to kill himself.

If this really was a comic strip (and not a figment of my imagination) it from the late 70s or early 80s. I think the series was called 'The Gun', but I could be mistaken on that point.

I'd be interested to know if anyone does recall this story and could perhaps help identify the publication in which it was serialised. It would help enormously with a paper I'm writing.

Best,

Ash


Hi Ash, I have s vague recollection of the story as well. Let me think on it to try and work out where from


08 Oct 2017, 07:32
Profile

Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 10:38
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Thanks Adam - any info at all would help enormously.


08 Oct 2017, 08:21
Profile

Joined: 03 Jun 2008, 16:57
Posts: 251
Reply with quote
This sounds like The Silver Colt. It appeared in Lion in the mid sixties, but was reprinted in annuals in the seventies, so that might be where you saw it.

Two pages can be seen at http://britishcomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -colt.html


08 Oct 2017, 08:53
Profile

Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 10:38
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
David

Thank you. That looks like a strong contender. However, from what I can see online, the story doesn't seems to go much further than WW1 and I could have sworn there was a WW2 connection in there.

Ash


08 Oct 2017, 09:12
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Posts: 3660
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
Will you lot stop getting up so darned earlier! The story is called The Gun and is about a Mauser pistol and the story moves forward chronologically from the siege of Khartoum in 1885 to the dying days of World War 2. It was published in Warlord from issue 209 (cover dated 23rd September 1978) to 231 (cover dated 24th February 1979). The artist looks like it was Josep Nebot, but I am not 100% sure.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


08 Oct 2017, 11:57
Profile WWW

Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 10:38
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Mr Valeera

Thank you. Can you recall which comic this featured in?

Ash


08 Oct 2017, 12:09
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Posts: 3660
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
Will you lot stop getting up so darned earlier! The story is called The Gun and is about a Mauser pistol and the story moves forward chronologically from the siege of Khartoum in 1885 to the dying days of World War 2. It was published in Warlord from issue 209 (cover dated 23rd September 1978) to 231 (cover dated 24th February 1979). The artist looks like it was Josep Nebot, but I am not 100% sure.
:lol: :lol:

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


08 Oct 2017, 12:42
Profile WWW

Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 10:38
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Thank you. I was reading via my phone and missed this from previously. Much appreciated.

Ash


08 Oct 2017, 12:59
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5060
Reply with quote
AshRL wrote:
I was reading via my phone and missed this from previously.
Can you please tell us all, AshRL, which make of phone you are using so that members can avoid it when they are looking to upgrade the one they are currently using.


10 Oct 2017, 17:58
Profile

Joined: 07 Oct 2017, 10:38
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Phoenix,

The phone I'm using is OK. But I'm on Tesco mobile network and they're as useless as Stephen Hawking's FitBit :-)

Ash


10 Oct 2017, 18:06
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5060
Reply with quote
AshRL wrote:
I'm on Tesco mobile network
There used to be a Tesco store near where I live. I think when they closed it down it became a branch of HSBC. Even that's gone now, as has NatWest. Some firms have no staying power!! Fortunately TSB is a Link bank otherwise I'd have to drive into Ormskirk, the nearest town to where I live, every time I need to extract a few groats from my monthly pension payments.


10 Oct 2017, 20:58
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4499
Location: space city
Reply with quote
The problem with mobile phones is that they have still not devised a screen you can read in sunlight. And trying to send a text or email on a London bus is impossible as the drivers drive like madmen and aim for every pothole. I have bad knees and those sudden breaks are murder when you're standing. (or a standee to use their parlance).

I may be wrong about mobile phone screens as I've never paid more than £50 for a smartphone.


11 Oct 2017, 09:46
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5060
Reply with quote
stevezodiac wrote:
The problem with mobile phones is that they have still not devised a screen you can read in sunlight. And trying to send a text or email on a London bus is impossible as the drivers drive like madmen and aim for every pothole. I have bad knees and those sudden breaks are murder when you're standing. (or a standee to use their parlance).
I think you are guilty of more than a shred of hyperbole there, Steve. One afternoon last week I picked up my three-year-old granddaughter Kelsey from her nursery/play school in Roehampton and took her home on the 85. She went to sleep more or less straightaway. I had to disturb her slumbers at the top of West Hill as we were getting off there. She never quite woke up so I had to carry her back to her mother's flat. I suppose it is possible that your local council doesn't spend enough on maintaining your local roads. Perhaps those leading to Millwall's football ground are higher up the priority ladder.


11 Oct 2017, 10:38
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4499
Location: space city
Reply with quote
Sleepy Roehampton is a far cry from the steaming hell of Bermondsey. I live a stone's throw from Millwall FC and I have a lump on my head to prove it.

Leaves stage to uproarious guffaws.


11 Oct 2017, 21:52
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.