Does anyone remember...?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AshRL

Does anyone remember...?

Post by AshRL »

Does anyone remember a comic strip that was about a gun? From the little I recall, it was a story about a gun and in each issue, the gun passed into different hands and a different story was told. If I'm correct, I think the final part of the story showed it falling into Hitler's hands and he used the gun to kill himself.

If this really was a comic strip (and not a figment of my imagination) it from the late 70s or early 80s. I think the series was called 'The Gun', but I could be mistaken on that point.

I'd be interested to know if anyone does recall this story and could perhaps help identify the publication in which it was serialised. It would help enormously with a paper I'm writing.

Best,

Ash

Adam Eterno

Re: Does anyone remember...?

Post by Adam Eterno »

AshRL wrote:Does anyone remember a comic strip that was about a gun? From the little I recall, it was a story about a gun and in each issue, the gun passed into different hands and a different story was told. If I'm correct, I think the final part of the story showed it falling into Hitler's hands and he used the gun to kill himself.

If this really was a comic strip (and not a figment of my imagination) it from the late 70s or early 80s. I think the series was called 'The Gun', but I could be mistaken on that point.

I'd be interested to know if anyone does recall this story and could perhaps help identify the publication in which it was serialised. It would help enormously with a paper I'm writing.

Best,

Ash
Hi Ash, I have s vague recollection of the story as well. Let me think on it to try and work out where from

AshRL

Post by AshRL »

Thanks Adam - any info at all would help enormously.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

This sounds like The Silver Colt. It appeared in Lion in the mid sixties, but was reprinted in annuals in the seventies, so that might be where you saw it.

Two pages can be seen at http://britishcomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -colt.html

AshRL

Post by AshRL »

David

Thank you. That looks like a strong contender. However, from what I can see online, the story doesn't seems to go much further than WW1 and I could have sworn there was a WW2 connection in there.

Ash

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Will you lot stop getting up so darned earlier! The story is called The Gun and is about a Mauser pistol and the story moves forward chronologically from the siege of Khartoum in 1885 to the dying days of World War 2. It was published in Warlord from issue 209 (cover dated 23rd September 1978) to 231 (cover dated 24th February 1979). The artist looks like it was Josep Nebot, but I am not 100% sure.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

AshRL

Post by AshRL »

Mr Valeera

Thank you. Can you recall which comic this featured in?

Ash

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

colcool007 wrote:Will you lot stop getting up so darned earlier! The story is called The Gun and is about a Mauser pistol and the story moves forward chronologically from the siege of Khartoum in 1885 to the dying days of World War 2. It was published in Warlord from issue 209 (cover dated 23rd September 1978) to 231 (cover dated 24th February 1979). The artist looks like it was Josep Nebot, but I am not 100% sure.
:lol: :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

AshRL

Post by AshRL »

Thank you. I was reading via my phone and missed this from previously. Much appreciated.

Ash

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AshRL wrote:I was reading via my phone and missed this from previously.
Can you please tell us all, AshRL, which make of phone you are using so that members can avoid it when they are looking to upgrade the one they are currently using.

AshRL

Post by AshRL »

Phoenix,

The phone I'm using is OK. But I'm on Tesco mobile network and they're as useless as Stephen Hawking's FitBit :-)

Ash

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AshRL wrote:I'm on Tesco mobile network
There used to be a Tesco store near where I live. I think when they closed it down it became a branch of HSBC. Even that's gone now, as has NatWest. Some firms have no staying power!! Fortunately TSB is a Link bank otherwise I'd have to drive into Ormskirk, the nearest town to where I live, every time I need to extract a few groats from my monthly pension payments.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The problem with mobile phones is that they have still not devised a screen you can read in sunlight. And trying to send a text or email on a London bus is impossible as the drivers drive like madmen and aim for every pothole. I have bad knees and those sudden breaks are murder when you're standing. (or a standee to use their parlance).

I may be wrong about mobile phone screens as I've never paid more than £50 for a smartphone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:The problem with mobile phones is that they have still not devised a screen you can read in sunlight. And trying to send a text or email on a London bus is impossible as the drivers drive like madmen and aim for every pothole. I have bad knees and those sudden breaks are murder when you're standing. (or a standee to use their parlance).
I think you are guilty of more than a shred of hyperbole there, Steve. One afternoon last week I picked up my three-year-old granddaughter Kelsey from her nursery/play school in Roehampton and took her home on the 85. She went to sleep more or less straightaway. I had to disturb her slumbers at the top of West Hill as we were getting off there. She never quite woke up so I had to carry her back to her mother's flat. I suppose it is possible that your local council doesn't spend enough on maintaining your local roads. Perhaps those leading to Millwall's football ground are higher up the priority ladder.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sleepy Roehampton is a far cry from the steaming hell of Bermondsey. I live a stone's throw from Millwall FC and I have a lump on my head to prove it.

Leaves stage to uproarious guffaws.