The Magic comic number 1

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

newcollector

Re: The Magic comic number 1

Post by newcollector »

If anyone who lives near Reading would like to see the comic send a message and we can arrange something!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

No offense to Malcolm but the reprint is on completely different paper.

No one can ever be 100% sure without seeing it 'in hand', but if this is the copy that was bound up with the Dandy #4 and the others from that period, then I'm pretty certain its original.

The photos of it look like an original copy, the story of how you acquired it is completely valid, plus the reprint just doesn't look like that.

So unless you started this thread as an attempt to arrange a 'sting' by selling the reprint to someone on here as an original (which I'm fairly sure you didn't) then yeah its legit.

All I would say is that it was slightly curious in the way you started the thread by asking if anyone felt it was a facsimile knowing that you yourself had bought it off a guy who had previously had it bound with a Dandy #4 and others - most people would have volunteered that fact from the outset...

But that said, I'm assuming you started this 'query' thread as you know its original but are looking to sell it and wanted to gauge interest anyway, which is a fairly common practice on some of the american forums I also frequent.

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

koollectablz wrote:No offense to Malcolm but the reprint is on completely different paper.

No one can ever be 100% sure without seeing it 'in hand', but if this is the copy that was bound up with the Dandy #4 and the others from that period, then I'm pretty certain its original.

The photos of it look like an original copy, the story of how you acquired it is completely valid, plus the reprint just doesn't look like that.

So unless you started this thread as an attempt to arrange a 'sting' by selling the reprint to someone on here as an original (which I'm fairly sure you didn't) then yeah its legit.

All I would say is that it was slightly curious in the way you started the thread by asking if anyone felt it was a facsimile knowing that you yourself had bought it off a guy who had previously had it bound with a Dandy #4 and others - most people would have volunteered that fact from the outset...

But that said, I'm assuming you started this 'query' thread as you know its original but are looking to sell it and wanted to gauge interest anyway, which is a fairly common practice on some of the american forums I also frequent.
Great to hear from you, I have no plans to sell this comic, I'm just a new collector of comics who was concerned if I had bought an original or not as I had been told a facsimile had been done. I wasn't sure how close to the original the facsimile was but now that I have heard it was printed on different paper I am very happy with mine. As you say someone really needs to see it and perhaps one day if someone is able they can visit. Otherwise it is happily part of my collection :D

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Only another 79 issues to go for the full set!!! :D

newcollector

Post by newcollector »

koollectablz wrote:Only another 79 issues to go for the full set!!! :D
Indeed, I'm on the lookout! There was a copy on number 4 on ebay recently but it was in poor condition so I let it go.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Phoenix wrote: Regarding the link between the unbound reprints and D C Thomson Firsts, the point didn't need repeating as I made it here last week.
Well excuse me for not hanging on your every word.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Robbie Moubert wrote:Well excuse me for not hanging on your every word.
Not to worry, Robbie. I'm sure you won't make the same mistake again. :)