Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Magic comic number 1 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Hello, My name is Thomas and i'm quite new to the comic collecting world. I mostly collect wartime Dandy and Beano comics but some time ago I purchased what I think is number one of the Magic comic from July 1939. The spine is glued and the pages have yellowed with age. Someone has also written 'number 1' in pencil to the front. Is this an original or a later repro?

Image

Image

Image


Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:30 pm
Posts: 311
Reply with quote
Looks original to me from those pics, but I'd have to see it in hand to be certain.

Rare comic.


Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply, looking at it it certainly has the smell and feel of old paper and visible wear/ yellowing to the edges through handling. The only thing that worried me is that some of the colours just slightly go over the lines whilst others are very clean and perfect, would that be down to the printing of the period?
otherwise it looks to be printed on newspaper type paper with glued spine


Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:18 pm
Profile
Online
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4788
Reply with quote
newcollector wrote:
Is this an original or a later repro?
Because of the overall browning I have to agree with koolectablz. There is no doubt in my mind that that is an original that has aged naturally. I have a modern reprint in my collection, the pages of which are white. If memory serves, which it doesn't always, I bought it in the late seventies/early eighties from the Vintage Magazine Shop in Brewer Street in Soho.

Having thought this through, I may be only half right. At the time I bought the reprint of The Magic, I bought the other seven as well, those being The Dandy, The Beano, The Wizard, The Skipper, The Hotspur, The Rover, and Adventure, all of which appeared, simultaneously I believe, in the volume D. C. Thomson Firsts (Facsimile Reprints 1921 - 1939), in 1978, but at that time Vinmag was in Earlham Street, which crosses Piccadilly on its way to Soho.


Last edited by Phoenix on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
newcollector wrote:
Is this an original or a later repro?
Because of the overall browning I have to agree with koolectablz. There is no doubt in my mind that that is an original that has aged naturally. I have a modern reprint in my collection, the pages of which are white. If memory serves, which it doesn't always, I bought it in the late seventies/early eighties from the Vintage Magazine Shop in Brewer Street in Soho.


Thank you, out of interest does the reprint have a glued spine or stapled? I will try and take some better pictures over the weekend, certainly the edges have browning but the centre of the comic looks quite clean.


Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
newcollector wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
newcollector wrote:
Is this an original or a later repro?
Because of the overall browning I have to agree with koolectablz. There is no doubt in my mind that that is an original that has aged naturally. I have a modern reprint in my collection, the pages of which are white. If memory serves, which it doesn't always, I bought it in the late seventies/early eighties from the Vintage Magazine Shop in Brewer Street in Soho.


Thank you, out of interest does the reprint have a glued spine or stapled? I will try and take some better pictures over the weekend, certainly the edges have browning but the centre of the comic looks quite clean.


Hi newcollector, As I said when you contacted me earlier, the original has a glued spine, so I'm pleased to see that others here agree that it's the original and not the 1978 reprint. Now I can see larger photos than the ones you sent me there's no doubt it's an original. Very rare! I've no idea how much it'd be worth but I'm sure others here can advise.

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 pm
Posts: 2602
Reply with quote
It's certainly an original. All Thomson titles were traditionally glued not stapled. The colour not being exactly keyed with the original artwork is also typical of Thomson publications of the time. This was a consequence of the use of papier mache flonges as the means of relaying colour details to the printers and the effect that temp and atmospheric conditions had on the flonges in transit.


Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:42 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Thank you all for your help, I have taken some new photos in daylight to give a clearer few. In all it is in good condition with only two visible tears to the back cover, one corner missing to the inside page and tears to the corners of each page where it has been handled. The gentleman who owned it had it together with a Dandy number 4 and other early issues.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:57 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 am
Profile
Online
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4788
Reply with quote
It's definitely worth a few bob!! :cheers:


Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:35 am
Posts: 136
Reply with quote
Looks a bit tatty to me, I'll give you a fiver for it !!


Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:18 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
The tears will devalue it, and the penciled "Number 1" on the front, but apart from that, and the yellowing, it doesn't look too bad. It's very rare. Should fetch a few thousand I'd hope. Anyone here recall what the last copy of this sold for? (I don't really follow values too closely.)

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:35 am
Posts: 136
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
The tears will devalue it, and the penciled "Number 1" on the front, but apart from that, and the yellowing, it doesn't look too bad. It's very rare. Should fetch a few thousand I'd hope. Anyone here recall what the last copy of this sold for? (I don't really follow values too closely.)


Having had a look at compalcomics I would estimate its worth around £1500+ in this condition.


Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
You've got a good one there Thomas. How much did you pay for it? A few hundred?


Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Digifiend wrote:
You've got a good one there Thomas. How much did you pay for it? A few hundred?



I paid £300 for it back in 2009, it came from a chap who also owned no 4 of the dandy, and had it bound with other wartime and later comics.

I don't tend to handle it very often but today I decided to have a read, all very enjoyable!


Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:29 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.